The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-15-2018, 01:38 PM

Default How would an Alto Trouper speaker and Bose T4S sound?

Just wondering, cash is tight and want to buy a powered speaker/pa and a Bose T4S mixer. Is the speaker sound OK,,,,house use only. Use to amplify acoustic guitar and mic. I like the features of the Bose but not sure of the Alto Trouper.
If anyone is familiar,, please let me know what you think of this combo.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-15-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D41Fan View Post
Just wondering, cash is tight and want to buy a powered speaker/pa and a Bose T4S mixer. Is the speaker sound OK,,,,house use only. Use to amplify acoustic guitar and mic. I like the features of the Bose but not sure of the Alto Trouper.

Thanks,
Dan
I have no experience with either piece of equipment, but IMO, having a good mixer as a foundation for your PA is the right move. As for the Alto Trouper, it would probably get you by until you can get something that will let your mixer shine. My preferences is for a 12" speaker on a pole. I have a friend that has 15" Altos that sound pretty darn good in the pubs where he plays.

I'm not a wealthy guy so I went with blue collar gear and started with an Allen and Heath 10fx and a Yamaha DBR12. I still have them and built up and out from there. I have no regrets.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

Last edited by Irish Pennant; 06-15-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D41Fan View Post

Thanks,
Dan
It would probably sound great--I've never heard the Alto Trouper but it has very positive reviews in its category, and the T4S is highly capable. But if you're tight on cash, do you need to spend $600 for a mixer feeding into a $200 PA (the latter is the price I see for Troupers, there may be different variants I'm unfamiliar with).

Since you asked, if your plan is to upgrade the PA end over time it can make sense to invest in the T4S, but the T1 Tonematch has nearly all the capability of the T4s, has a lower list price, is currently getting the periodic 15% Bose sale price and there are used units out there for even less. Especially if you're "only" looking at a guitar and mic input for the foreseeable future.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:36 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. I was looking closer at the Bose T4S and it wasn;t quite what I wanted. It looks like the QSC Touchmix 8 will give me the multiple simultaneous effects on different channels that I want. I know the price is crazy, but I can always upgrade the speakers to a Bose L1 compact at a later date.
The Alto Troupers I can live with, but I want a good mixer.

Dan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification