The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-11-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Just to be clear, the Play Acoustic needs the guitar input for the reference to create the harmonies (more convenient than setting it manually, which you consider how often we change keys). But you can zero out the guitar effects (as I do when I use the Tonedexter). In my case I leave in the guitar reverb which is a good one. But I think the Play Acoustic is really a good deal when you consider how many functions it provides (and how many addition pedals you don't need to have).
Maybe you can answer this. I have one preset on the Play Acoustic which has no harmony and no delay (both turned to Off). Yet I can still hear what sounds for all the world like some doubling going on. Could this be the auto tuning? Weirdly, I kind of enjoy the sound although I've done every thing I can try to eliminate it just to see if I can.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Maybe you can answer this. I have one preset on the Play Acoustic which has no harmony and no delay (both turned to Off). Yet I can still hear what sounds for all the world like some doubling going on. Could this be the auto tuning? Weirdly, I kind of enjoy the sound although I've done every thing I can try to eliminate it just to see if I can.
Doubling and autotune are possibilities.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Doubling and autotune are possibilities.
Is doubling different than harmonizing, as in do two different buttons have to be Off for there to be none? If it is the autotune, it's not the kind of effect you hear on like every hip hop record. Sounds like doubling with at least one voice.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:48 PM

Doubling is separate from harmony. It is just a slight delay.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
First, how are you listening to yourself and second, what is your pitch correction set point?

Listening through headphones can make you hear yourself twice. First through the bone conduction in your head (hearing yourself as you do say driving down the highway) and then again through the headphones. Can sometimes sound like two different voices. If this is the case, maybe plug into something else like a powered speaker to see if you still get this. Or try using the Looper to record yourself and see if you hear this on the playback.

If the pitch correction is set too high, you can also hear two voices. I would not go beyond 25-30%. Sounds similar to auto tune - which it actually is.

Check these things

Last edited by Marty C; 06-12-2018 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The TC Play Acoustic is ideally suited for the K&K pure mini passive pickup. The input impedance is 1M Ohm and the multi band parametric eq is fully customizable (albeit menu driven). I started a thread on this topic last month. Do a quick search and you should find it. Also, the magic of that device is that it listens to the chord changes for the vocal harmonies. Honestly, if you can manage to scroll through 3 or 4 menus to initially setup the TCPA, it's hard to imagine you not being happy with it.

Making the K&K sound better in a loud Martin
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=511520

Sounds good to me. Can you select which frequencies you alter or is it just "low" and "high" options?

Also "I sometimes play a 335 style electric. Will I be able to plug that in, and use pedals with it? I thought I could just by-pass the guitar input and plug it into my Bose S1 direct, and use what pedals I wanted, but apparently not?
Old 06-12-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooster View Post
Sounds good to me. Can you select which frequencies you alter or is it just "low" and "high" options?

Also "I sometimes play a 335 style electric. Will I be able to plug that in, and use pedals with it? I thought I could just by-pass the guitar input and plug it into my Bose S1 direct, and use what pedals I wanted, but apparently not?

In the advanced bod Rez setting menu you can select frequency. This product, unlike their electric guitar product, does not have a guitar “through” output, just a DI. So you would need to arrange your pedal board appropriately.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

I would certainly think you could EQ a K&K guitar with the Play Acoustic. You just have to dive into the menu's a bit.

I went a similar route with the Boss VE-8. A little less menu-driven and more knob oriented but still some tweaking. I was able to get a great tone dialed in with both my K&K guitars and since I play fingerstyle with the meat of my fingertips I need to do a lot of EQ'ing!

We love having the harmony and looper. The onboard effects are very useful. I found mine used here in like-new condition for $200 and it replaced four separate pedals and a mixer with one battery operated unit. Combined with the S1 it's the perfect solution for us. I would expect the Play Acoustic to be no different.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:36 PM

There's an argument not necessarily "against" the Play Acoustic but for having one and a small mixer, the better to quickly be able to make volume adjustments between guitar and vocal.

Well, having owned a Play Acoustic since I heard that point, there is a round knob (it doesn't stick out very far, one could almost call it a round dial) on the side of the Play Acoustic which allows you to control the mic volume. It doesn't levitate the unit to make it easy to adjust in front of spectators, but it is a lot quicker than menu diving on stage.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:08 PM

My setup is a Tonedexter, Play Accoustic and small Mackie mixer exactly for the easy adjustment of separate voice and guitar levels (and also to add in an additional mike if I need to, for another singer or harmonica player for instance).
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 06-12-2018, 03:40 PM

Great news. Thanks. It seems the PA has very precise frequency adjustments. As such, I guess I can do without any other EQ for the time being. I will see how it goes in the next few weeks and once I get used to it.

gfirob, what order do you put your pedals?
Old 06-12-2018, 04:38 PM

Guitar cable goes into the input on the Tondexter (1/4 phone jack) and then out of the Tonedexter (1/4 phone jack) into the guitar input on the Play Acoustic (1/4 phone jack) and from the output (XLR) of the Play Acoustic into the mike input (XLR) of channel one of the Mackie mixer.

The mike cable (XLR) goes into the mike input on the Play Acoustic (XLR) and from the mike or voice output (XLR) of the Play Acoustic into the mike input (XLR) of channel one of the Mackie mixer.

Then the main mix out of the Mackie mixer (stereo phone jack) goes into the aux-in of the SA220 amp, bypassing all its preamps so it just acts like a PA.

Body Rez is zeroed out on the Play Acoustic but I use the guitar reverb.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 06-12-2018, 05:24 PM

Thanks. So if I was using a preamp I'd go

Guitar into Preamp then into guitar input of Play Acoustic ( effects zeroed ) and then the XLR guitar out to input 1 of S1

Mic straight into Mic input of Play Acoustic and then Mic XLR out into input 2 of the S1.

Does that sound reasonable?

I don't know about mixers but assume the Mackie has two mic inputs in channel one and each output of the Play is going into a separate one? If so ,and I wanted to incorporate a mixer I could just do the same then input the mixer into either one input of the S1 or else the Auxin therefore by-passing the pre-amp in that?

Sorry if I've got this wrong.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooster View Post
Thanks. So if I was using a preamp I'd go

Guitar into Preamp then into guitar input of Play Acoustic ( effects zeroed ) and then the XLR guitar out to input 1 of S1

Mic straight into Mic input of Play Acoustic and then Mic XLR out into input 2 of the S1.

Does that sound reasonable?

I don't know about mixers but assume the Mackie has two mic inputs in channel one and each output of the Play is going into a separate one? If so ,and I wanted to incorporate a mixer I could just do the same then input the mixer into either one input of the S1 or else the Auxin therefore by-passing the pre-amp in that?

Sorry if I've got this wrong.
Currently, I run the Play Acoustic with one cable (both guitar and vocal) out to channel one into the S1 Pro. I eq the channel on the Bose to my vocal and then adjust the guitar eq in the Play Acoustic. I do this since there is very little vocal eq on the Play Acoustic. For this reason I have considered at Boss ve-8.

I have used a mixer and set the Play Acoustic up with “di out” (Means guitar and vocal out separate ). I run the vocal to channel one in the mixer and pan all way left. Run guitar to channel two and pan all way right. This way the left out of the mixer goes to channel one of the Bose and the right out goes to channel two of the Bose. This would give me immediate EQ of both and I mounted the mixer on my pedalboard so adjustment was at my feet.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:45 PM

Hey, TC Play Acoustic and Boss VE8 peoples, do you want some fun tips?

OK, so the Boss has 50 memory slots and the TC has a 100. What can we do with that?

Al the normal saves - different reverb on no 1, no 2, no 3, delay plus reverb on no 4... pretty straightforward and good to write a note on a scrap of paper or a few months later - err, where was that reverb plus delay setting I saved?

Now, some fun, simple.....

On TV, I heard an ad for a car and they were using the Beatles' "A Day In The Life" and in the middle bit with the 'woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head', the vocals had a 'old radio' sound effect.....
So how could we do that using the gadgets we have?

In the days of one pedal for each effect type, you would press the 'radio' effect floor pedal for just the part needed.....

Now multi effecters.......

First learn "Day In The Life' on acoustic and vocal.

https://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/w...bs-817162.html

Plug in to your Boss or TC.

On guitar settings, I keep the effects to ...none (I have Tonedexter), but very little to get in the way of the vocal is good to start.

Now vocals and effect in a linear 'save':

Vocal add reverb you like - save to 1.
Add reverb AND delay you like - save to 2.
Add reverb and delay you like PLUS the 'radio' tone setting - save to 3.

So, to the tune.....

Play verse 1 with just setting no 1 (reverb).

Play verse 2 with setting no 2 (reverb and delay)

Play middle bit - 'woke up etc' with setting no 3 (radio)

Go BACK to setting no 2 for the following 'Ah' part of the song.

And then GO Back to setting no 1 for the last verse....

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now getting tricky - non linear - do the verses with settings in different order.

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification