The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-20-2018, 03:02 PM

Default Springsteen on Broadway

Hello AGF enthusiasts!

Last week I had the opportunity to attend Springsteen on Broadway. I have been a fan since I was 17 years old, and as a total acoustic guitar enthusiast, I was really looking forward to see him in this type of intimate setting. The only three people on stage all leaving were Bruce, Patti scialfa (who sang two songs with him), and guitar tech Kevin Buell. As many might know, on stage Bruce plays Takamine and Fender guitars exclusively. During the first 2/3 of the show he alternated between acoustic guitar and a Yamaha grand piano. All of his guitars were either dreads, jumbos, or NEX style. His EF341SC, 12 string EF381SC, and PN6 NEX were the models I recognized. The only “smaller” size guitar was played by Patti on one of the songs.
The show is very structured to to be presented in very Broadway friendly way. It runs two hours, and consists of 15 songs with personal stories and background information on the songs. This was the most personal and intimate setting ever seen him perform at. I sort of have to agree with what’s been said here about him not being a great guitar player. While Bruce Springsteen is not a top-notch guitarist, or even singer, for that matter, as a songwriter he is among the best, and great at telling stories in his lyrics, thus it works in a very small venue, whether solo on an acoustic guitar, or a Yamaha grand piano to accompany himself. As a pro, he plays the basics of acoustic guitar, yet plays them very well, which works very well for much of his music, especially his current show. His Takamine Guitars, especially the NEX, sound very “acoustic rock/folk rock.” Clear, bright (not Tayloresque”), and in your face. It was something I was very much looking forward to. Specially since Joining AGF A few years ago, and starting to learn and appreciate our favorite instrument. Inspired by his show, combined with my GAS, I ordered a “poor man’s Bruce Springsteen Takamine NEX guitar [emoji13] [emoji450].A GN51BSB. A sunburst that looks like his pro series model (PN6) he uses on stage. I received it, and will write about it (NGD) soon. I did take some photos when we were allowed (after the show). Not wanting to make this post about “some fanboy’s experience seeing his idol.” I’m including a couple of photos I took from my seat. One showing the stage, his guitar, and the grand piano. Anyone else here seen this show’s current run? IMG_0768.jpgIMG_0769.jpgIMG_0770.jpg

Last edited by CoolRockinPapi; 05-20-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:09 PM

Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-20-2018, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Great post. I would love to see that show.

I've got to get back to entering the Broadway.com lottery every morning, thanks for reminding me!
Old 05-20-2018, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

That looks like it was a really fun show. Terrific pictures. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-20-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Great post. I would love to see that show.

I've got to get back to entering the Broadway.com lottery every morning, thanks for reminding me!

If your serious about getting tickets just bypass the lottery and go to StubHub. Depending on your schedule you can score some killer seats for much less than face price of the tickets. My wife and I have seen the show twice, both times we purchased tickets within 24 hrs of show time and scored great seats for 100’s less the original ticket price. It’s a relatively small theater and there isn’t a bad seat in the house.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:31 PM

Saw him as a 15 year old on the "Darkness on the Edge of Town" tour. Still a top 3, 40 years later
Old 05-20-2018, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

I saw the show a few weeks after it opened and i was knocked out...Bruce is a thoughtful songwriter and master storyteller. His accompaniment skills are perfect for what he does solo.
OP, good luck with new Tak
Old 05-21-2018, 09:45 AM

I haven't seen it, but I did read a review where - when the audience tried to clap along to a song - he stopped, and told them he does it as a solo

To me, that speaks volumes about the overall caliber of his entertainment skill - and under this heading would come his modest guitar and singing skills.

I think its an awfully big no-no for a performer to be "thrown off" by audience participation.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

'' I sort of have to agree with what’s been said here about him not being a great guitar player. While Bruce Springsteen is not a top-notch guitarist, or even singer,''

Long time ago Springsteen decided that he didn't need to be a blazing guitar player. He needed to write the songs and sing them.

When ''Greetings from Asbury Park'' came out, I had two young guys working with me from Jackson NJ. They were familiar with Bruce from Steel Mill. I loved the album but I remember them saying ''I don't hear much guitar from Bruce!'' Apparently, Bruce was pretty good back when he wanted to be.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

Long time ago Springsteen decided that he didn't need to be a blazing guitar player. He needed to write the songs and sing them.
Right. i was pointing it out. You left out the equalizer in my sentence. “...as a songwriter he is among the best, and great at telling stories in his lyrics...”

I agree and think he’s much more, accomplished at electric guitar, which the majority of his music consists of. 🎸

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN