The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-15-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconDanny View Post
Okey that makes sense. I went to my local music store to have a look at it today and it felt, looked and sounded great (the store owner played it for me so I could hear how it's supposed to sound instead of me just randomly hammering the keys [emoji23])

I think I'm now decided on the iPad Pro 12.9 inch, Apogee Mic+ and the Roland FP30. The iRig can wait for later and I'll get it if I feel I need it. Thank you both for the help!

Now I just have to figure out where to put the piano in our already crammed apartment. And convince the wife that it deserves a place in our home [emoji16]
Cool but understand that the scenario you just presented will NOT allow you to get audio from the Roland. Midi data only. No sounds. The Roland will remain silent
Old 06-15-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Cool but understand that the scenario you just presented will NOT allow you to get audio from the Roland. Midi data only. No sounds. The Roland will remain silent
Yeah I get that but I can still get the sounds through Garageband to monitor while I'm playing right? Like through headphones
Old 06-15-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah I get that but I can still get the sounds through Garageband to monitor while I'm playing right? Like through headphones
I'm not sure we're on the same page here but.....you can not monitor any audio from the Roland, through Garage Band. Not without a separate audio interface. A midi interface will not pass audio. You can of course record midi but it won't make any sounds unless you use a third party virtual piano. At that point you've purchased a Roland ostensibly for it's good piano sounds and then negate using those sounds. It essentially renders the Roland a very expensive piece of equipment you can't record audio with.

The Roland won't play with Garage Band without an audio interface like the iRig. Hope I'm making sense here
Old 06-15-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure we're on the same page here but.....you can not monitor any audio from the Roland, through Garage Band. Not without a separate audio interface. A midi interface will not pass audio. You can of course record midi but it won't make any sounds unless you use a third party virtual piano. At that point you've purchased a Roland ostensibly for it's good piano sounds and then negate using those sounds. It essentially renders the Roland a very expensive piece of equipment you can't record audio with.

The Roland won't play with Garage Band without an audio interface like the iRig. Hope I'm making sense here
Okey but what about the virtual pianos in GarageBand? I can hear that sound while playing? Just not the actual sound produced by the piano?

Or do you mean the recorded midi sound from the virtual pianos will only be playable after it is recorded? Won't the GarageBand software produce the sounds as you play?

And didn't you say earlier that I would only be able to record audio and not midi and that you preferred midi and then trigger sounds?

Please have patience with my confusion in this 🤣

The recording part is secondary however. First of all I want the piano to learn to play and to have fun with. Then I might want to do some recording later

Last edited by BaconDanny; 06-15-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Okey but what about the virtual pianos in GarageBand? I can hear that sound while playing? Just not the actual sound produced by the piano?

Or do you mean the recorded midi sound from the virtual pianos will only be playable after it is recorded? Won't the GarageBand software produce the sounds as you play?

And didn't you say earlier that I would only be able to record audio and not midi and that you preferred midi and then trigger sounds?

Please have patience with my confusion in this 🤣

The recording part is secondary however. First of all I want the piano to learn to play and to have fun with. Then I might want to do some recording later
Yes absolutely. If you have some sort of virtual piano or sampler of some kind, and one or both may very well come with Garage Band, then you could use the Roland to trigger, monitor and record piano (or anything else) within Garage Band. That'd work well!
Old 06-15-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Yes absolutely. If you have some sort of virtual piano or sampler of some kind, and one or both may very well come with Garage Band, then you could use the Roland to trigger, monitor and record piano (or anything else) within Garage Band. That'd work well!
Good, now it all makes sense Thank you!
Old Today, 12:35 PM

Okey so here it is Digital Piano will have to wait until we buy a house - the apartment is just too crammed as it is.

Thanks for the advices guys! Now I'm ready to try out some music recording/producing on a reeeeeally basic hobby level [emoji16]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD