The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-05-2018, 05:14 PM

Default Octave tuning on a madola and mandolin

I got a mandolin back from a friend of mine. It was a not-very-good one I'd built some years back, and when I decided to change the strings, I did what I did with a mandola I also had: The G and D strings, instead of being tuned in unison, are strung so that the strings in each course are an octave apart, like they would be in the lower strings of a 12-string guitar. I used a .014 for the higher G and a .00095 for the higher D.

It certainly gave the mandolin a different sound without seriously affecting its playability. The bass response did suffer, understandably, but now it has some of the resonance of a 12-string.

I thought the experiment was well worth doing, for those who are looking for a distinctive sound, and I thought I'd pass it on to you all.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:47 PM

I've done this and liked it on my mandola, octave mando and mandocello. I do not like octave pairs on any of my mandolins, however.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:19 PM

Many of the old jug band/blues players used this tuning and I decided to give it a try on one of my mandolins about a decade ago. I have since sold the mandolin, but it was a useful tool for the jug band I play in. I would not use this for bluegrass or Irish trad mandolin however.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments