The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-15-2020, 09:13 PM

Default Fender Princeton Reverb '65 reissue vs Blues Deluxe reissue

Which would you choose between these two given they seem to be in similar condition with an asking price delta of $400 (Blues) vs $700 for the princeton 770

https://houston.craigslist.org/msg/d...142186928.html

https://houston.craigslist.org/msg/d...142571166.html

Yea I'm shopping around for local deals on a Tube amp for the house. I'm wanting to get into electric with the goal of having a nice (but not too nice) Strat, Les Paul and maybe a Tele - and I want a respectable amp to drive all three. thanks
Old 06-15-2020, 10:07 PM

My thoughts:
  • If you're going to be playing out in the foreseeable future - even 2, 3, or 4 years down the line - and you're only going to own one amp, I'd go with the Blues Deluxe for the extra headroom (FYI "high power" in an amp doesn't always mean ear-splitting volume and/or massive gain/distortion - many jazz and country players use 50-100W amps for their broader dynamic range and "bigger" tone) and reserve power for medium-/large-size halls...
  • If you're looking for a home-studio/small-venue amp that you can crank if need be, or just like the idea of old-school built-in trem/verb, the Princeton's the way to go; FYI the original owner swapped out the factory Jensen speaker for a Celestion - not my favorite combination with a blackface Fender (too raw and nasal for my taste - YMMV) - so I personally wouldn't close the deal unless the original speaker came with it...
Hope this helps...
Old 06-15-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100LL View Post
Which would you choose between these two given they seem to be in similar condition with an asking price delta of $400 (Blues) vs $700 for the princeton 770

https://houston.craigslist.org/msg/d...142186928.html

https://houston.craigslist.org/msg/d...142571166.html

Yea I'm shopping around for local deals on a Tube amp for the house. I'm wanting to get into electric with the goal of having a nice (but not too nice) Strat, Les Paul and maybe a Tele - and I want a respectable amp to drive all three. thanks
I own and am very happy with a Princeton Reverb (one of the 65 reissues) although IÂ’ve modded mine a bit: upgraded tubes, speaker, and output transformer. It was really good in the beginning, but after a few mods itÂ’s a killer amp.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

They are different animals, IMO/IME. Played through a lot of Blues Jrs and owned a PRRI for some time. I prefer the latter, and never fell in love with the Jr, though there were some I had a good time with .

BUT, if you are playing out, as suggested, I think the Jr is a better choice. Takes pedals pretty well and the Master is usable, if not quite on par with better implementations.

The PRRI has that classic tremolo (aka vibrato) and tube reverb, and just "to die for" in the right place. I just found it hard to keep in a sweet spot in many situations, and it really did not work with my Les Paul. (I think a 12" speaker is a better match for those humbucker tones.)

I would definitely bargain. And, again, if there's a GC locally with one, you have a MUCH better return option. I see there's a Blues Jr in Clearlake, advertised at $409. Go play it and try it out. Return it if you don't like it. Pay $400 on CL and if it's a dud, good luck.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

It’s probably an age related thing, but in my house it’s: No vibrato, not interested.

Happy hunting in any case.

Howard Emerson
Old 06-16-2020, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Not a fan of the Blues Jr, particularly the construction (pots mounted to the circuit board).

There's no vibrato (pitch modulation) on the Princeton,..

In our house we love tremolo (volume modulation), notice how much it's used on modern recordings. The Princeton would be my choice, hands down.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:52 PM

It would be the PR 65 for me.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

I'd go with the Princeton and if it didn't already have a Celestion gold in it then I'd put one in there. It's a great speaker!

I've got a Gold in my PR and it's neither nasal nor harsh. After hearing my amp with the Celestion my guitar tech installed the same speaker in his Princeton. He uses it for gigging out, and he gigs a lot around here. Another buddy in LA with a resume of rockstar gigs a mile long also gigs with a Princeton Reverb/Celestion Gold. Nuff said.

Last edited by Al Acuff; 06-16-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Not a fan of the Blues Jr, particularly the construction (pots mounted to the circuit board).

There's no vibrato (pitch modulation) on the Princeton,..

In our house we love tremolo (volume modulation), notice how much it's used on modern recordings. The Princeton would be my choice, hands down.
Argue that with Fender. That’s what they call it, no matter what it really is.

HE
Old 06-16-2020, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Hardly an argument. Just a fact. Check Fenders web site for specs on the model. They clearly states the amp has Tremolo. In the description they do write “Vibrato” after Tremolo in quotes because it’s a common mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Argue that with Fender. That’s what they call it, no matter what it really is.

HE
Old 06-17-2020, 04:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Hardly an argument. Just a fact. Check Fenders web site for specs on the model. They clearly states the amp has Tremolo. In the description they do write “Vibrato” after Tremolo in quotes because it’s a common mistake.
Yes, that's what I'm referring to.

I've owned Ampegs that actually had the pitch bending type, and I own a second generation Tremolux 6G9-A head/combo from 1961 that is much more intense than my 2017 Princeton Reverb, the pedal of which say Rev/Vib.

They can't make up their minds either.

HE
Old 06-17-2020, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I've owned a couple vintage Magnatones that had true pitch modulation, it's not a sound you hear very often.

Robert Ward's sound is a great example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Yes, that's what I'm referring to.

I've owned Ampegs that actually had the pitch bending type, and I own a second generation Tremolux 6G9-A head/combo from 1961 that is much more intense than my 2017 Princeton Reverb, the pedal of which say Rev/Vib.

They can't make up their minds either.

HE
Old 06-17-2020, 02:01 PM

Hey Folks, the OP is asking about the Blues Deluxe Reissue, not the Blues Jr.

I have a Blues Deluxe Reissue and it's loud. I like the comments above about whether you're gigging or want an intimate amp. I'm not familiar with the Princeton but from what I read the people who play that amp love it.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post

I have a Blues Deluxe Reissue and it's loud. I like the comments above about whether you're gigging or want an intimate amp. I'm not familiar with the Princeton but from what I read the people who play that amp love it.
Oh boy, missed that. Well, that listing is gone, so maybe he bought it. Jeepers, I had a Pro Reverb (45W, 2x12, basically a twin but with only 2 6L6s and smaller power supply) back in the day and that thing is part of the reason my ears are ringing right now. I don't know what you'd do with much more than 15w these days.

Now, a Deluxe Reverb RI, that's a 12" that's what I'd always wanted (actually what I went to buy when I got the PRRI, but they'd just sold the last one in the shop, so left with the smaller PRRI).
Old 06-17-2020, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, I too missed that. Must work on my reading skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars