The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2020, 12:22 AM

Default Yamahas built in Japan

I've been looking at buying another Yamaha to keep my 41 year owned (Taiwan built) FG365s company. Does anyone out there know if Yamaha reverted to traditional construction methods/glues after their trend into the use of epoxies and reinforced bracing started in the late 1970s? I'm currently looking at an FG5, which seems like a sensible upgrade for me. Hoping someone can help with this question.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:05 AM

I have an FG5 but I can't answer your question. There's some videos of the Yamaha guitars Hamamatsu workshop/factory on YouTube is the closest I've got. I'm pretty sure they're made there because mine shipped straight from Japan because of delays at Yamaha London due to epidemic and it said 10-1 Nakazawa-cho, Naka-ku, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka 430-8650, Japan as the transit address on the box. A bit geeky but I photocopied the labelling unless I had problems. Why don't you ask Yamaha? FG5 very nice by the way. Just had to lower the action a little. Lovely to play fingerpicking with 3 fingerpicks any style but especially 2 current pieces in DADGAD. Great! Have had mine for a few months now. Sale price Yamaha London £980 Jan 2020. Yamaha London website has detailed specs I think but prob not in that much detail.

Good Luck. Would be interested in answer, if you can get one.

Last edited by David Rance; 07-14-2020 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:44 AM

Hi David, thanks for the reply which was very helpful. I've narrowed it down to the factory, which does seem to be the Hamamatsu workshop as you say. Thus I would assume that they employ the traditional build methods. I've done all my research on Google but even "digging deep" doesn't reveal the definitive answer, only points me in the logical direction if that makes sense! I have emailed Yamaha Europe and still awaiting a reply so may get an answer to my question.
I think I'll give Merchant City Guitars in Glasgow a ring and order from them as they get excellent reviews (it's also easier to get to from Manchester). Cheers, Ian.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:26 AM

Hi, Big-E! I am Japanese hence I can help you with a Japanese site.

Yamaha red label series have FG and FS. There are w or w/o pickup. There are China and Japan made. Hence the variations are 2x2x2=8.
What is the difference between Japanese and Chinese made? Even Japanese made, body and neck are both made by Yamaha China. They import them without nut, fret and bridge and assembled in Japan.

https://www.ishibashi.co.jp/sale-event/23550
Old 07-15-2020, 03:04 AM

the hand built in Japan L series are currently on massive sale at Yamaha London and also on Peach

i picked up an LXJ36 this week from peach at a massive discount.

its breathtaking - and resonates like nothing i have experienced before

looks as if they still use traditional methods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6qR...ature=emb_logo
Old 07-15-2020, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinewelly View Post
the hand built in Japan L series are currently on massive sale at Yamaha London and also on Peach

i picked up an LXJ36 this week from peach at a massive discount.

its breathtaking - and resonates like nothing i have experienced before

looks as if they still use traditional methods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6qR...ature=emb_logo
Cool vid. I hadn’t seen that before buying my L series...

It’s interesting how you guys in the UK are able to buy the versions with pickups in them and we in NA cannot. For my particular case I was not looking for a pickup, but I still find it interesting...regional differences like that...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 07-15-2020, 04:06 AM

zztush entry very interesting. Would explain why interweb attempts to reveal WHICH Yamaha instruments come from precisely WHICH factory can be so opaque. Should we be bothered? Almost certainly not if we're happy with the end product.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:09 AM

Many thanks for all the replies which were most helpful. I decided to go ahead and order one so looking forwards to it arriving!
Old 07-15-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztush View Post

Yamaha red label series have FG and FS. There are w or w/o pickup. There are China and Japan made. Hence the variations are 2x2x2=8.
What is the difference between Japanese and Chinese made? Even Japanese made, body and neck are both made by Yamaha China. They import them without nut, fret and bridge and assembled in Japan.

Thanks a lot for sharing this link. This info is useful and interesting. In some of the FG5 youtube video/sweetwater reviews, people mention that the FS/FG5 bracing work on the body wasn't done as cleanly as they expected for japan-made. Your info on the 5 and 3 body both being made in china may explain why that's the case.

"Even Japanese made, body and neck are both made by Yamaha China. They import them without nut, fret and bridge and assembled in Japan."

So the neck is attached to the body at the china factory, is that correct? So the nut, fret and bridge work is all done in japan, presumably to get the best and more precise set-up work. Seems strange to me they wouldn't choose to do the neck joint and angle setup in japan as well. Or is this a testament of the chinese factory's skill in doing great neck angles?

Using google translate on that japanese link, there's more interesting information.

"However, when I play the chord, oh, the feel is different! In particular, if you proceed to the high fret with such an F-form, the Japanese-made force will be evenly applied and the total amount of force will be suppressed lightly.

On the other hand, it is clear that the products made in China are slightly (actually, slightly) but have different abilities around the 3rd and 4th strings and different balance. However, please note that the products made in China are not difficult to press, and the precision of domestic products is extremely high . This is the nut difference. The frets didn't feel any difference when they saw the drive."

So the stock playability of the FS/FG5 is way better.

"And the most different  thing is the bridge ↑ First here is the edge part made in China and this is made in Japan ↓ How is it? The processing level is completely different! It's extremely smooth and we are pushing it to the limit. It's impossible without this. Made in China with a different angle"

From the pics it seems like the bridge plate and string break angle is different on the 5 versus the 3. I remember Jarvis (guitarspa on youtube) mentioning the saddle slot is deeper on the FG5 compared to the FG3
Old 07-16-2020, 05:49 AM

Received an email from Yamaha UK today. It confirms that neck joint is dovetail using traditional glue. So all is well
Old 07-16-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorue View Post

So the neck is attached to the body at the china factory, is that correct?
Hi, sorue! Yes. The neck is attached to the body at the china factory.

Google translate is very good. I think google can not translate this expression below, because it is metaphor. :-)

free image hosting sites
Old 07-16-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Hi, sorue! Yes. The neck is attached to the body at the china factory.

Google translate is very good. I think google can not translate this expression below, because it is metaphor. :-)

free image hosting sites

It is a bit of a disappointment if you are certain that the neck and the body is attached at the Yamaha factory in China. I was under the impression that everything was made in Japan for my FS5. Maybe that is why it retails for a very economical price as compared to the LS26 and above models.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 07-16-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:

This is very interesting. I had no idea.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 07-16-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I wonder if this isn't done solely for marketing purposes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion