The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-29-2020, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Probably a really stupid question about an effect

I realize my ability to describe this is probably pretty bad. In ZZ Top's "I Need You Tonight" the lead electric has a strange almost static electricity like crackle to it. Not quite just overdrive or delay, but almost like a ringing sound you might get if you straddle a fret or something. Any ideas how he is getting this sound?

https://youtu.be/pGr4NHj92rY
Old 06-29-2020, 12:39 PM

Found this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elimin...bum)#Recording

Gibbons used a Dean Z electric guitar. Engineer Terry Manning recalled that the guitar was "very resonant", always on the verge of feedback, and difficult to keep in tune. The amplifier used was a Legend Rock 'n' Roll combo amplifier, a 50-watt hybrid amp with a single 12-inch Celestion speaker.

~Bob
Old 06-29-2020, 02:05 PM

What a great tone! Almost 'hollow' sounding. Gibbons has such wonder touch/feel and tone.

Bob (^), thanks for the post. Great info on that great album. I wonder if there's something else in the chain that gives that tone, aside from the delay, a possible OD, and the guitar/amp.

Guessing that Bob Womack may have a clue.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

Thanks guys! Was reading in the provided link that the drums and bass were all done electronically? Interesting!

As for this song, I am still feeling like there must be another link in the processing/pedal chain on this song, but I can't put my finger on it?
Old 06-30-2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I realize my ability to describe this is probably pretty bad. In ZZ Top's "I Need You Tonight" the lead electric has a strange almost static electricity like crackle to it. Not quite just overdrive or delay, but almost like a ringing sound you might get if you straddle a fret or something. Any ideas how he is getting this sound?

https://youtu.be/pGr4NHj92rY
I think you're hearing a combination of the multiple overdubbed overdrivin' guitars, and their harmonics from being on the edge of feedback, and the repeats from the long delay crashing into each other. I don't think it's an effect, just more a happy accident. I think on the mix they probably rode those faders from of each guitar track into each other until they heard what they liked.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I think you're hearing a combination of the multiple overdubbed overdrivin' guitars, and their harmonics from being on the edge of feedback, and the repeats from the long delay crashing into each other. I don't think it's an effect, just more a happy accident. I think on the mix they probably rode those faders from of each guitar track into each other until they heard what they liked.
That's what I'm hearing too, delays or multitracked guitars, or both, leading to a little natural comb filtering and a broadening of the artificial and distortion harmonics as one delay envelop doesn't exactly mesh with another.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-30-2020, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
That's what I'm hearing too, delays or multitracked guitars, or both, leading to a little natural comb filtering and a broadening of the artificial and distortion harmonics as one delay envelop doesn't exactly mesh with another.
I suppose that makes sense. I was hoping there was some cool effect pedal that I was missing out on!
Old 06-30-2020, 09:52 PM

Sounds pretty standard for that era from Billy. Legend has it a Scholz rockman might have wandered into the studio from time to time in that era. Some claim it was only on Afterburner, but you know. Opinions...

You hate to question the engineer's memory, but I do find it odd that with his stable of known and loved vintage guitars he would use unproven guitars with a super distortion pickup and no tone knob. Granted they were possibly the finest guitars Dean ever built from a quality perspective. There was a lot ridding on Billy using them on stage. Not saying it didn't happen. Just saying.

Billy has a history of being cagier than Eddie Van Halen about things. For "Money for Nothing" Knopfler called Billy up about his tone. He reported that they had a lovely conversation that went on for quite a while, and it wasn't until the conversation was over he realized he hadn't gotten a single thing out of the Rev...
Old 07-04-2020, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

It's not just one thing,..

There's a lot going on in the Rev's sound there. Flanging for sure, there's a "half-cocked wah" sound occasionally. But a lot of the subtle sounds are from multiple tracks of the guitar leads. It's not just a guitar>pedal>amp sound. It's well manicured.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars