The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-15-2020, 01:12 AM

Electric guitar might be a tad more fun, but it doesn't quite stand alone without a band like an acoustic guitar. Heck, bass guitar can be fun in certain genres.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Electric guitar might be a tad more fun, but it doesn't quite stand alone without a band like an acoustic guitar...
Beg to differ - I took lessons from this guy back in the early/mid-60's when we were both a lot younger:

Old 07-15-2020, 09:12 AM

I've played the guitar nearly every day for the past 32 years including a 100% acoustic only stint from 2000-2015. For me, 100%, without a doubt and hands down, the electric guitar is the best and most fun to play. I have about 7 acoustics including a great handmade custom one and a cool Taylor Mini GS. When I do play acoustic, it seems like I tend to play my nylon the most over the steel strings. Sounds better to my ears.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:16 AM

Well as a person whose guitar life has been split about 50/50, though at times more nearly to one pole than the other, I'd have to say they can both be fun. While my young fingers used to allow me to play "acoustic lead guitar," my old fingers aren't as strong as they used to be for that.

While I'll still play single note lines on acoustic and still hit chords on electric, I've never been much for being a chord guy on electric, which is a big hole in my skills, but not the only one. As a result I think of acoustic as a harmony instrument and an electric and a melody instrument. Reductive? Yes it sure is.

But then, while there's a fair amount of timbral range in even a single simple acoustic guitar, an electric is a lot broader palette, and with my current hand strength, it's easier to be expressive with vibrato on electric. After a decade of mostly guitar-cord-amp on electric I've started back to experiment more with plugins in DAW and stomp boxes. I'm even thinking of dusting off my old Line6 HD500.

But simple can be just as fun as complicated. Some days the fun is a simple cowboy G and C chord folk song. Somedays it's a pedalboard and a weird scale or riff your fingers found.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-15-2020, 07:51 PM

Eh.... My electric collection does not get a whole lot of use. It's fun to crank it up and rip some blues or classic rock, but I get tired of futzing with amps and pedals, and the electric guitar's potential is best realized in the context of a band, which is not something I'm interested in getting involved with.

I can just pick up the acoustic and play, no amps, no pedals, no noise complaints.... and acoustic guitars function better as a "band in a box", as you can easily lay down "bass" lines with the thumb, Melody with the other three, and do some percussive stuff if that's your thing.

*** Most of my repertoire is either classical or bluegrass, so there's that as well.****

Not knocking electric... acoustic playing just suits me better.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N0gnDE6OxY It's an experience I've missed out on. It looks and feels like it could be so powerful and so much fun. I was just watching this video of Eric Clapton and John Mayer playing "Crossroads." Not to mention the fun clothes some bands wear. You don't often see acoustic players in flamboyant and wild clothes. On the other hand, my hearing is intact! I've always loved "The Band." They were electric, but also acoustic, and very song oriented. A different animal.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 07-16-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N0gnDE6OxY It's an experience I've missed out on. It looks and feels like it could be so powerful and so much fun. I was just watching this video of Eric Clapton and John Mayer playing "Crossroads." Not to mention the fun clothes some bands wear. You don't often see acoustic players in flamboyant and wild clothes. On the other hand, my hearing is intact! I've always loved "The Band." They were electric, but also acoustic, and very song oriented. A different animal.
That poor guy playing the Les Paul in the background! I'm a huge Les Paul guy but I don't know why he's even on stage with Clapton and Mayer.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

It looks to me that the guy playing the Les Paul is playing rhythm, and I think I'm seeing 2 bass players. I don't hear the keyboard at all.

Sure looks like they are all having a grand time.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 07-17-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
It looks to me that the guy playing the Les Paul is playing rhythm, and I think I'm seeing 2 bass players. I don't hear the keyboard at all.

Sure looks like they are all having a grand time.
It looks like fun!
Old 07-17-2020, 03:49 PM

I like both. But to answer your question - yes.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:11 PM

I don't have a preference but then, I am not good at either.

For me, what I can do is play a few riffs and things from songs that I love. And sometimes what I need for that is an acoustic, and sometimes an electric. I get the same charge out of both of them. Things like the opening to Wish You Were Here, or Piece of My Heart. Id Love to Change the World or Jumping at Shadows. Its all good.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
That poor guy playing the Les Paul in the background! I'm a huge Les Paul guy but I don't know why he's even on stage with Clapton and Mayer.
Such is the fate of the non singing rhythm player . The only solace is like the line from an old song "Their gonna miss me when I gone".

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-20-2020 at 07:28 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars