The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-22-2019, 02:31 PM

I can't identify any difference between the bridge pin recordings. I'd bet $50 that in a blind test, no one reading this thread could tell me with any reasonable accuracy whether I was playing a random selection of these recordings, or just one of them over and over. And I'd bet an extra $100 that no one could reliably identify which recording corresponds with which pin material.

But I guess we'll never know.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:44 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I liked the Liquid Metal pins with the bone nut and saddle, but I'm not paying $150 for them.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-22-2019, 02:49 PM

The results were exactly what I thought they'd be. Mr. Carr sounded like he was playing a Martin in every clip!
Old 07-22-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Not quite. There is never an absence of science. Science is simply an attempt to understand causal relationships based on known laws. True, there is sometimes a limitation on the ability to conduct a controlled experiment. If that's what you mean by voodoo, then OK.

But yesterday's voodoo is tomorrow's understanding. Everything we're arguing about here -- the effect of bridge pins on sound, how bridge pins might effect sound, the ability of humans to perceive those changes -- is accessible to controlled studies if anyone really wanted to make the effort.
If you read the comment buzz-line carefully, it doesn't negate science, but includes it, yet implies there are parts of it that we don't understand nor have the scientific means to understand it. The human often is equipped with abilities that our current scientific equipment doesn't yet have the capability to measure, let alone understand.

Seems that some folks just want to argue for the sake of arguing. I give up.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-22-2019, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

There are many more important variables that are not being controlled and that are being ignored by some - looking for the cause of some flattened grass and focusing on the tickbird on the elephant's back instead of on the elephant.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-22-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I give up.
Somehow, I seriously doubt that
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-22-2019, 05:49 PM

That discussion like this can elicit so much comment of such detail Proves that we are a cult.......I think I'll travel on.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 07-22-2019, 05:57 PM

My takeaway was the ebony pins softened the tone. Perfect if a guitar is a little too bright for you. The plastic pins seemed to have a little more clarity.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
The human often is equipped with abilities that our current scientific equipment doesn't yet have the capability to measure, let alone understand.
Such as? Seriously -- there are enough controlled behavioral paradigms to answer some of these issues -- if not physiological measures.

Quote:
Seems that some folks just want to argue for the sake of arguing.
Sorry, but having spent a career in sensory physiology, I feel obliged to make the case for science.

Last edited by Acousticado; 07-22-2019 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 07-22-2019, 07:11 PM

The only difference I could discern was with the ebony pins. The rest was very much the same. Yet I might add that any recording will only be a poor comparison to listening to the guitars live, unaltered and unfiltered. Just my humble opinion of course.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
There are many more important variables that are not being controlled and that are being ignored by some - looking for the cause of some flattened grass and focusing on the tickbird on the elephant's back instead of on the elephant.
Is this condescending, or is it just me?

The remainder was edited.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-22-2019, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Is this condescending, or is it just me?

The remainder was edited.
It was an accurate description of the topic with a little metaphor thrown in for visualization.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-22-2019, 09:42 PM

Default Speaking of . . .

Quote:
war.
Quote:
War!

!

Why can't we be friends?
Old 07-22-2019, 09:45 PM

Default WAR!

Quote:
Seems that some folks just want to argue for the sake of arguing.

I don’t want to argue about bridge pins. I’d be happy to never read or talk about bridge pins here ever again. But I’m reading descriptions here of your ability to dial up specific, predictable, and obvious sound changes in a guitar simply by swapping out bridge pins. But that doesn’t comport with my experience. It doesn’t seem to have any basis in the physics of a guitar. And to my ear it’s not supported by any of the recorded “evidence” that keeps getting posted here. So it’s hard not to respond critically to the claims.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
Exactly. I would like to hear the answer to this too. It seems to me there would be about zero energy left in a string by the time it touches a bridge pin. Try to pluck a string between the saddle and the bridge pin. Nothing there.

Perhaps a resident physicist can explain why I'm wrong. Anyone?
The response of a mechanical system, such as a guitar, is very largely governed by the mass, stiffness/spring constant and damping of the system. One way of altering that response is to alter the mass of the system. Ways to do that include adding weight to the head and increasing the weight of the bridge assembly. Some have, for example, attached a heavy metal clamp to the head and observed a change in sound. Adding weight to the bridge has also been shown to alter a guitar’s response: some guitars are more sensitive to weight changes to the bridge than others. Using a heavier saddle and bridge pins are one way to increase the weight of the bridge assembly. A simple experiment can be performed to determine whether or not any measured changes in sound are due to a change in the mass of the bridge assembly via heavier pins vs. The material from which the pins are made. Until such an experiment is conducted, it is conjecture.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion