The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-21-2019, 11:44 AM

We are all musicians and should always expect the unexpected. If money has not changed hands I'd tell the buyer the truth and simply say you got a bad case of sellers remorse...sorry my brother, I hope you understand.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 07-21-2019, 11:46 AM

I had this happen after I had sent money to the seller. He did return my money. I was very annoyed, but in the long run I hope it was for the best. Life goes on, and there are plenty of guitars. I would not do further business with this seller though, because my point of view was that he broke a contract to which we had agreed, which is dishonest.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:50 AM

Hopefully the buyer didn't have to sell one of his "keepers" on the assumption he would be replacing it with the guitar you agreed to sell to him.

I assume it is also ok to back out of a deal if at the last minute someone offers you an extra $10 for the guitar.

Last edited by pszy22; 07-21-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld View Post
I had this happen after I had sent money to the seller. He did return my money. I was very annoyed, but in the long run I hope it was for the best. Life goes on, and there are plenty of guitars. I would not do further business with this seller though, because my point of view was that he broke a contract to which we had agreed, which is dishonest.
And I believe you have a valid point here...

If money has been exchanged, I couldn't condone the seller backing out of the deal without the consent/agreement of the buyer...
Old 07-21-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
I assume it is also ok to back out of a deal if at the last minute someone offers you an extra $10 for the guitar.
You're reading and inserting words in between the lines...

The guy just decided he'd rather keep his guitar before the sale went thru...
Old 07-21-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
C’mon.... remorse is common in many transactions on both ends - houses, cars, guitars....

Give yourself a break - you changed your mind. Be honest and likely the buyer will understand. Whatever it is you are selling is likely one of many - the buyer will find another out there.

Don’t pay attention to the sanctimonious among us - changing your mind is not a violation of any law or an egregious dishonesty.

Amen. I agree. You decided, for personal reasons, that you didn't want to sell it. I don't see any justifiable ethical drama or moral outrage from someone who wanted to buy your guitar because you decided that its something you would rather not part with. Guitars can be very personal items with value beyond monetary cost. Politely tell the truth - I thought I wanted to sell it but I realized I really don't want to let this one go. I'm sorry if you are disappointed. I hope you find something else.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstring View Post
Is it ok to back out of a sale at the last minute because you realize it would be almost impossible to replace your "" keeper ''
daniel
First, if I were the buyer and I had found the guitar for sale, spoken to the seller about it, agreed on a price, maybe sold something to get it - I would be unhappy to hear you changed your mind.

However, it' likely you already know the answer or you wouldn't be seeking other's opinions on the matter. Next, it is (as someone posted) "a guitar, not a kidney" and therefore very replaceable. However, to me, the most important question to ask yourself is - what would you want me to do if you were the buyer and we had agreed on this transaction??? No, I'm not involved in any way in this transaction.

In the end, only you can decide what's right for you.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:22 PM

I am working a deal under the radar here at a possible trade. No cash in either direction, we are going to get together over food and libations to play each other’s guitars and see if we can work something out.

I had a Reverb deal go sour a few years ago. I put in a lowball bid on an electric which was accepted. I contacted the builder and he let me know the guitar had been stored in an unheated room over an EastCoast Winter, refretted with stainless steel, and other problems, all of which were undisclosed by the seller. I backed out.

There are many challenges for both buyer and seller.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
No... We're talking about one's WORD and how much value THAT has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld View Post
Vindibona and Joel nailed it. And I’ll add that backing out of deals is also indicative of a wishy-washy non-serious individual. I prefer dealing with serious and decisive, thank you.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 07-21-2019, 12:27 PM

Everyone has a right to change their mind. Of course the buyer might be annoyed and has every right to not want to do business with that person. But it's just a guitar, not a marriage proposal. As the seller you will get over it far easier than if you let that guitar go. And the buyer will have moved on in a week. But it were me, I would give him an extra $20 or so for his trouble. Make it $50 if you feel really guilty.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Is it ok to back out of a sale at the last minute because you realize it would be almost impossible to replace your "" keeper ''

daniel
What is it about guitar players?

If you sell a guitar and the buyer pays you whatever you have agreed upon, you have struck a deal!

Whether or not you really want to sell the guitar is something you should have resolved BEFORE you put it up for sale.

I sold one of my favorite Martins not long ago. I really like the guitar. But there were good reasons to sell it.

It got sold. I miss it but I have moved on.

A deal is a deal!
Old 07-21-2019, 12:33 PM

Once I was in desperate need of some quick cash and was giving away a nicely equipped pedalboard (retail all told $500-600, I paid $450 or so, and was selling for $120).

I backed out at the last minute. Nothing had changed hands yet. It's kind of a let down to have a seller back out on a deal (from the buyer's perspective) but it does happen.

Unless you'd already sold it, or made a promise to the buyer that you were going to sell it, and had agreed upon a price, time and place to meet, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it
Old 07-21-2019, 12:37 PM

I'd say if money hasn't changed hands, then it's fine, and I would argue that the vast majority of people who do business in the used market with real people (idk if it holds for stores, but that's different) understand that it's not definite until the item has changed hands and money has paid.

Additionally, I would definitely say the seller has for more reason to get attached, I've been disappointed over sales I didn't get before, but until I get it is ultimately, just another guitar and can always find something else just as good. But to the seller (depending on the type of person you are) it has real sentimental value, it's your baby.

As to the legal argument made earlier I suspect that wouldn't be true unless you had written something agreeing to it. It may be different if he could show a series of correspondences wherein it was clear that you all were agreeing to something; but generally, they have a saying in American law "verbal contracts aren't worth the paper they aren't written on."
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 07-21-2019, 12:37 PM

I guess its just a classic case of Breach of Promise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk6cdLc0rHc&app=desktop
Old 07-21-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:

First of all it's not a "keeper" if you decided to sell it.

daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Everyone has a right to change their mind..... it's just a guitar, not a marriage proposal. ...
Wait a minute here Paul. I would completely condone someone backing out of a marriage proposal before the ceremony...........for many good reasons. Backing out of a guitar sale.......... hmmmm....... not after I've agreed to sell (given my word). In fact selling a guitar I might be ambivalent about might free up space for me to find a (read another) real keeper.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic