The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 07-13-2019, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Default I saw a Man About A Horse. (read on)

Ok, I'm an old guy and although a Brit, I've been listening and playing bluegrass since about 1975.

I've seen a lot of bluegrass bands - from Bill Monroe (twice in one week) I've seen the White brothers, I've seen Country Gazette, Alison Krauss & Union Station, Front Country, Hot Rize, John Reischmann (Jaybirds), Pete Rowan, and band, Rowan, Kieth and Rooney, and a whole host of other tip top combos ... live.

But ... tonight, at a friends house (he has a large barn for "house concerts") we saw a five piece from Philadelphia actually called "Man About A Horse"

Five young guys (everybody that ain't dead is young to me) and they were the best, tightest, slickest, grooviest, high energy live bluegrass band I've in my memory.

I had my usual front row slightly left of centre seat, right in front of the SINGLE "Ear Trumpet" mic.

I usually stare at the fingers of the guitarist or the mando player, but tonight, I was spell bound by the banjo player and the fiddle player and bass player (as well) I told banjo man in the break that he played his Nechville like a Stratocaster, talked to the mando player and had a long chat with the singer guitarist.

They had it all, perfect harmonies, tricks and business, sudden stops, great choreography, great audience contact, everyone sung, just great stuff (and I'm not easy to please!

They are flying back to the US on Monday - if you get a chance, go see 'em!

Take a look.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:20 PM

Clever name.

Brought back the memory of a novel that was published a few years ago, titled "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius".
Old 07-13-2019, 07:57 PM
Anticipation Junkie

They’re real good. I enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Just listened to their rendition of "Roll In My Sweet Baby's Arms" and it was awesome. Thanks for sharing Andy!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-14-2019, 02:53 PM

Real nice !! have to look em up.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:02 PM

Yes, that was really good. Thanks for sharing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN