The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-12-2019, 07:14 AM

Default Bridge lifting a tiny bit - what to do?

Hi

Just noticed the bridge on this guitar that I just got is lifting a tiny bit - or maybe I should say that I noticed a tiny gap between bridge and top since it is a rather new guitar (I believe it is from 2015 or 2016 and it has only barely been played) so I guess it could have been like this always. In the photos below you can see the place where I could slide a sheet of A4 printer paper the farthest in (maybe about 1.5mm). It's only about a 2cm or 5/6" part of the bridge where I can get it in at all and except for the one spot in the photos I can only get it a tiny bit in (probably less than 1mm). And then one corner where I can get it about 1mm in. I'm not too worried but wanted to check with you who are more experienced than me if I should do anything about this?:

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/GsQ7bUj

Thanks!
Hans

Last edited by Hanzalot; 07-14-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:30 AM

Unless it changes, not likely, don’t worry about it. You just noticed it. It may not be “lifting”, it may just be.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Monitor closely, but don't panic ...yet.

As said, it might have always been like that - we don't know the make.

However, such things happen in the best regulated families, even occurred on one of my Collings (aghast!) - often at this time of year ('least in the Northern Hemisphere!)

Keep a piece of paper and observe regularly to see if the easy intrusion gets deeper.
If in doubt - sek advice from your tech/luthier.

I'm fortunate and have an excellent man almost in walking distance. He removed and cleaned the bridge, with no damage to top nor ebony, cleaned and reglued. The top is a 'burst, and there wasn't a clue that work had been done.

Only concern was he offered me a normal white glue adhesive or an epoxy (or something, which he said would make the two parts inseparable forever.
Although the instrument will far outlive me, I opted for the standard adhesive.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:59 AM

Do nothing. It likely came that way new, because they do not glue all the way to the edge at the factory. It is not a problem.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:18 PM

Mostly... It's only important if it's progressing.

as mentioned, using a piece of printer paper, slide a corner under the bridge and find where the gaps are, this gives you a visual aid to see where the lift point are and how deep they go.
Then, go back and check it occasionally in the same manner to see if it's staying the same, or the gaps are getting deeper, and there's more places where the paper will slide in between the bridge and the top.

if they are moving, then I'd look at getting it repaired.

I have a 78 Dy74 Yari that I've been watching for a while now.. if I do see it's moving, I'll have a reset done, if it's not, than, I'm not touching the 40+ year old wood in this guitar.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:09 PM

Thanks everyone - that's what I was hoping for. Actually I discovered that I had had the guitar tuned a step down when I took the photos so the gap is a little bigger when at standard pitch: the part of the bridge where I can slide a paper sheet corner in is probably about 2" and I can maybe get it 3mm in at the spot where I can get it the farthest in - but I'm guessing that your advice is still correct, right?

Thanks again
Hans

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair