The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-12-2019, 01:22 AM

Default MY NGD - a Jakob Poljakoff S-1

I have bought and sold quite a number of guitars over the years but rarely post a NGD. I decided to post a NGD now for my latest guitar (and currently my only full sized guitar) because I do not think there is a lot of info on this builder on AGF and frankly, this luthier's quality of work merits much greater exposure of his guitars!

But first some background...For the last ten years or thereabouts I had been on a quest to find guitar/s on the level of a particular gem that got away, a Kim Walker Jumbo that was the best guitar I had ever played at that point. I ended up being a serial buyer and seller of guitars and had the chance to play and own guitars made by quite a few luthiers who are regarded on this forum as being among the most renowned luthiers for fingerstyle. Along the way I tried out many excellent guitars and finally found a couple of guitars that I liked as much as the Kim Walker that got away and that I considered to be of the same tonal level (my own subjective preferences here) - first among equals, a Ervin Somogyi Modified Dreadnought that had been built by Somogyi and Matsuda, and next, a much more recent Jeff Traugott Model R. Between the two of them, they seemed to fulfil all of my tonal wants far beyond my own mediocre skill level warranted and I would never reach the limits of what they can do...and they also complemented each other perfectly....

However having reached the end of my GAS journey however, life priorities changed and commitments and responsibilities entailed serious downscaling and not long after I reached that point, I realised that I needed to get back to guitars of a much more modest financial value.

Hence I put those grail guitars up for sale and made some bets on up and coming luthiers who have a much lower base price but whom I hoped would give me something of the quality of tone. Which brings me to the first of the guitars that will take their place - a S-1 that was made by Jakob Poljakoff of Berlin, Germany.

https://www.poljakoffgitarren.de/english/guitars/

I had never previously heard of him before, and never really knew anything about German luthiery until I came across some posts on this forum about Poljakoff and other German luthiers like Voss etc. Malcolm Kindness who also owns a S-1 gave some valuable comments about his own guitar which helped (thanks Malcolm!) but essentially it was a shot in the dark and the clips that I had heard would never substitute for the real thing.

What intrigued me though was the different path that Poljakoff appeared to have taken - oil finished back and sides and top, with the option of french polish for his tops that seemed ot have been applied with great skill. In fact from the photos, the fit and finish of his guitars appeared to be top class and of the highest level, with that European minimalism and good taste shining through. However while the guitars did not set themselves out to be flashy at all, he executed many small aspects that would not be immediately seen but if noticed, would reveal much thought and care in the design, and great wood working skill. All the sharp edges were bevelled. The headstock was fitted onto the neck with a joint that was so well fitted it was difficult to spot the joinery. The headstock was curved so that the tuner buttons would be slightly nearer the fretting hand for adjustments, and it served as his unique trademark as well. In some of his guitars he uses an elevated fretboard that is not joined to the top and allows the top below to vibrate unimpeded. The elevated fretboard can have a negative angle for more power and projection.

His gallery photos also show intricate chip carving aesthetic features on his headstock or rosette as options along with other options such as intricate checkpunched designs on the edges of the top and bridges and headstocks etc.

My own S-1 was pretty basic however though it had french polished top and an incredible soundport that I really do not know how was carved out of the side of the guitar.

After the S-1 arrived, I was at first a little under impressed as the tone was quite different from what I was used to. It had similarities with the Traugott tone but was a good deal more warm and woody. I even offered it as a counterweight to trade it off for another guitar that I also had my eye on! But thankfully my proposal wasnt accepted and as I played it longer, something strange happened - the guitar seemed to get more and more resonant and the tactile feeling of the vibrations of the guitar as I played it seemed to become more evident. The overtones became more evident and the bloom became more clear.

Either it opened up more as it got used to the climate where I am, or my ear got used to its tone - I do not know the difference. Whatever the cause, I liked it more and more the more I played it, and it did not take long before I decided that it was a keeper.

At this juncture, I do not hesitate in saying that this guitar belongs to the same class of top drawer quality as a Somogyi or Traugott, and I actually like it more than either, which surprised me greatly as it is Alpine Spruce with East Indian rosewood and I have always preferred more exotic rosewoods to EIRW. It has the same fretting hand senstivity as the Somogyi, as much crystalline clarity as the Traugott, but less steely and more woody with harmonic complexity and great resonance. I now wish all guitars were made with oil finish as it feels so much more comfortable than gloss finish or even the satin nitro finish that is used for Lowden and Avalon guitars. Certainly the oil finish and the masterfully applied French polished top must have something to do with the openness of the tone and the guitar's responsiveness. It has the usual 25.4 inch scale I think but it feels very easy to play with low action and one only needs to play softly to and lightly to get the same volume out. Being slightly smaller than a Martin OM but being closest to its size, the S-1 comes closest to reproducing the aesthetics and feel of a classical guitar but with steel string clarity and power.

So in conclusion, I think Jakob Poljakoff guitars (he now builds with his brother also working in the same shop) is not only a rising star of lutherie but he is already producing top class guitars and if you are looking for a great fingerstyle guitar that is different from the norm but that is a jewel of a handmade work of artistic craftsmanship, you will not regret trying his guitars out for a spin, if you can find one at hand to try.

Lastly I am a truly diabolically bad photographer but I will try to put some photos up when I figure out how to use the photosharing services alll over again!

Last edited by gitarro; 07-12-2019 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:00 AM

Hi there,
I'm glad you decided on a Poljakov and that you are very pleased with it. Hopefully my advice was some help, but I find it very difficult to describe things like tone in words, my guitar also opened up a lot after some months of playing. As you say they are truly great guitars.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Either it opened up more as it got used to the climate where I am, or my ear got used to its tone - I do not know the difference. Whatever the cause, I liked it more and more the more I played it, and it did not take long before I decided that it was a keeper.
Perhaps you should give yourself some credit here, and say that as you played it more, you gradually found the touch and technique that brought out the best in this guitar.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
Perhaps you should give yourself some credit here, and say that as you played it more, you gradually found the touch and technique that brought out the best in this guitar.
It's possible but whatever the reason I am glad it happened!
Old 07-12-2019, 06:17 AM

Nice! I first met Jakob some 10 years ago when he brought guitars #1 and 2 for me to have a look at. Last year I saw him again at the Holy Grail show in Berlin and he’d just finished #50. Great to see!

Enjoy your new guitar!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on a successful shot-in-the-dark and on having the guts to give the guitar a chance to meet you halfway!

I saw Jakob's work up close in Berlin last year. Amazing craftsmanship and a lovely aesthetic. I didn't take the time to test drive one, however. Stupid me.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 07-12-2019, 06:57 AM

His site says not taking orders
Old 07-12-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
He likes to work through a dealer network, I would suggest you contact TFOA in the Netherlands, they are great to deal with.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Tfoa says that jakob is not taking custom orders anymore but will be making each new guitar according to a custom design and putting it up for sale, much like what Jordan mcconnell is doing nowadays I believe.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Tfoa says that jakob is not taking custom orders anymore but will be making each new guitar according to a custom design and putting it up for sale, much like what Jordan mcconnell is doing nowadays I believe.
That's unfortunate, mine has a custom neck and string spacing and it would have been a deal breaker if I couldn't have had it.
He must be very confident in his market.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
If you're interested in a build slot, drop me an e-mail and we can have a chat. We are an authorised dealer for Poljakoff Guitars

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 07-21-2019, 11:04 AM

Here are photos of Barry's Poljakoff!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 07-21-2019, 06:25 PM

Thanks Marcus! Please do put up some of the photos that poljakoff has sent you! There is some beautiful eye candy there of the work the brothers are capable od producing...
Old 07-22-2019, 11:36 AM

Default Ask and you shall receive

Here's their latest "Golden Guitar" and it's available for anyone who might be interested

Poljakoff Guitars does incredible work that's extremely unique. They used gold leaf for these inlays, and it also has a floating wooden pickguard lined with gold leaf. Other signature designs they do are chip carved inlays on the rosette, headstock and end wedges.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 07-23-2019, 02:38 AM

It's easy to assume the pickguard is the usual tortois stick on pickguard but it is actually a floating pickguard suspended above the guitar top and extending from the side of the fretboard ! Hence it doesnt stifle the top at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Here's their latest "Golden Guitar" and it's available for anyone who might be interested

Poljakoff Guitars does incredible work that's extremely unique. They used gold leaf for these inlays, and it also has a floating wooden pickguard lined with gold leaf. Other signature designs they do are chip carved inlays on the rosette, headstock and end wedges.

Last edited by gitarro; 07-23-2019 at 04:29 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion