The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 01:29 PM

Default Martin 000-18NB (Norman Blake) No longer for sale

Update 10-23-2019: Turns out I was right, I just can't let this one go!

I long thought that I’d never sell this beauty, which I bought from a forum member almost seven years ago. But last fall I decided to have Jimmy Edmonds build me a guitar the same size as this Blake but with the woods and neck based on an Edmonds 12 fret shallow body dread I owned, which had the sweetest sound of any guitar I‘ve ever played. Jimmy nailed it and in the three months since I got the new guitar I’ve only played the Blake a few times, so here it is.

I like everything about this guitar, which is #89 out of the 134 that Martin built. It’s very balanced across its range and if you want loud – as in no problem keeping up with the dreads at a bluegrass jam – this guitar will satisfy you. Cosmetically it’s in pretty nice shape, only a few light swirl marks on the pick guard, three very light dings on the top and one on the back. No scratches, buckle rash,etc. I had the frets leveled and crowned last fall, so they are in good shape with just a bit of wear on the treble strings on the first few frets.

As my 68 year old wrist has gotten a bit arthritic and less flexible, I’ve really appreciated the unique neck/body configuration. If you are not familiar, it’s a standard OM size body like you’d find on a 14 fret guitar, with the bridge moved further down the body. This means that reaching for a first position chord is like reaching halfway between the first and second fret on a normal guitar. It’s much easier on this old man’s wrist which is why I had my new Edmonds built the same way.

I’m asking $2950, shipping and Paypal fees included. If for any reason you aren’t happy with the guitar, just let me know within seven days after you receive it. I’ll take it back and issue a full refund. I would only ask that you pay the insured return shipping cost. I’ve sold four guitars on AGF and a few on Ebay in the past with no complaints. I have 100% positive feedback on Ebay, username fastest_frank.

IMG_5341.JPG IMG_5353.JPG

IMG_5344.JPG IMG_5343.JPG

IMG_5350.JPG IMG_5348.JPG

Last edited by Fast Frank; 10-23-2019 at 05:43 PM. Reason: (Guitar is no longer for sale)
Old 10-09-2019, 01:31 PM

Full specs from Martin:

Model: 000-18 Norman Blake
Construction: Mahogany Blocks/Dovetail Neck Joint
Body Size: 000-14 Fret
Top: Solid Italian Alpine Spruce
Rosette: Style 28 - Black/White Fiber
Top Bracing Pattern: Unique Top Bracing Pattern
Top Braces: Solid Sitka Spruce 1/4''
Back Material: Solid Genuine Mahogany
Back Purfling: Style 18
Side Material: Solid Genuine Mahogany
Endpiece: Delmar Tortoise Color - Brown
Endpiece Inlay: none
Binding: Tortoise Color
Top Inlay Style: Multiple Black/White Boltaron
Side Inlay: none
Back Inlay: none
Neck Material: Select Hardwood
Neck Shape: Modified V w/ 30s Style Heel (12-Fret)
Nut Material: Bone
Headstock: Solid/Square Taper
Headplate: Solid East Indian Rosewood /Golden Era Style
Heelcap: Tortoise Color
Fingerboard Material: Solid Black Ebony
Scale Length: 24.9''
Number of Frets Clear: 12
Number of Frets Total: 19
Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1-13/16''
Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2-5/16''
Fingerboard Position Inlays: Diamonds & Squares - Long Pattern Golden Era
Fingerboard Binding: none
Finish Back & Sides: Polished Gloss
Finish Top: Polished Gloss
Finish Neck: Satin
Bridge Material: Solid Black Ebony
Bridge Style: Pyramid w/ Drop-In Saddle
Bridge String Spacing: 2-5/16''
Saddle: 16'' Radius/Compensated/Bone
Tuning Machines: Waverly Nickel w/ Ivoroid Butterbean Knobs
Recommended Strings: Martin SP Lifespan Phosphor Bronze Light Gauge (MSP7100)
Bridge & End Pins: Solid Black Ebony
Pickguard: Delmar Tortoise Color - Beveled & Polished
Case: 532 Geib style
Interior Label: Signed By Norman Blake, Numbered in Sequence
Old 10-09-2019, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

A couple of days ago Elderly listed a used 000 28 Norman Blake for something over 3000 and it sold in an hour. These Blake's are a great design. Good luck with the sale.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:32 PM

Some guitars are just cool. This guitar is darn cool. Best of luck.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:27 PM

PM Sent....saw the ad over on UMGF as well.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Has this Blake found a new home? Just Curious, as I already have one.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:02 PM

Default Belated reply

Hey offkey,

I hadn't looked at this actual thread in a while. Yep, the guitar's still here. I haven't bothered to bump it because I'm not super-motivated to sell it. I had two guitars for sale at once, and I sold my Rockbridge 000 on Reverb last week so now I only have this Blake and my new Edmonds. I was fine with selling the Blake until right after I listed it. It had a 3 month old set of Elixirs with lots of hours of play so I decided to re-string it. BIG mistake, such amazing tone & volume. Seeing as how you have one too, you know what I mean.

At this point, I'm leaving it listed here, but if it wasn't already listed I probably wouldn't do it. Not very logical, but over the years I've learned that at least for me, logic is of little value when it comes to guitars.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Hi Frank,
I hear you. I to believe one great acoustic could be enough. But perhaps two are perfect just for the variety. This Norman Blake is as good as any guitar I have held. As I sit with it I find myself thinking, anything I can do, it can do better. Lol.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:38 PM

As mentioned above, I sold my Rockbridge last week, leaving me with just the Blake and my new Edmonds. I let my wife know last night that the money for the Rockbridge was now in our checking account, and mentioned that the Blake was for sale too, although I was having some doubts and was thinking about taking it off the market. The love of my life, who has little interest in guitars or my playing, said "You need a backup guitar anyway, don't you?" Ah, the voice of reason!

I decided to wait to hear from a couple of guys form AGF who had expressed interest yesterday. I got a PM from one this morning, and I was almost afraid to open it for fear it might be the dreaded "I'll take it!" message.

I know I would have regretted letting this one go. It is an absolutely amazing guitar. I think I'll play it on odd number days form now on, and the Edmonds on the evens.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like a good call.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars