The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-10-2019, 01:00 PM

Default show and tell

I haven't visited this part of the forum for some time, but did recently being that I submitted a few recordings. Something struck me in that...looking through the songs...some people never receive any replies for their efforts. This seems unfortunate. I think it would be nice if the AGF membership would acknowledge all those who take the time to add recordings. With as many members as probably are here, you'd think at least 1 reply would be forthcoming for any recordings that are posted.

So I got looking through some back pages and added a reply for the arrangement of "Homeward Bound" since it didn't have any and deserved something. Following mine, I notice that others added some as well. Please note I'm not just bringing this up because I haven't received any replies to my recent submission, but it got me to thinking that it seems a shame that some folks get a good number of responses and others, while perhaps over a hundred views, have no feedback for their efforts. Let's be honest...as musicians...we all appreciate some acknowledgment for our efforts I will endeavor to listen to any pieces that have zero replies and do my best to comment. Just my two cents....
Old 07-10-2019, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by three4rd View Post
I haven't visited this part of the forum for some time, but did recently being that I submitted a few recordings. Something struck me in that...looking through the songs...some people never receive any replies for their efforts. This seems unfortunate. I think it would be nice if the AGF membership would acknowledge all those who take the time to add recordings. With as many members as probably are here, you'd think at least 1 reply would be forthcoming for any recordings that are posted.

So I got looking through some back pages and added a reply for the arrangement of "Homeward Bound" since it didn't have any and deserved something. Following mine, I notice that others added some as well. Please note I'm not just bringing this up because I haven't received any replies to my recent submission, but it got me to thinking that it seems a shame that some folks get a good number of responses and others, while perhaps over a hundred views, have no feedback for their efforts. Let's be honest...as musicians...we all appreciate some acknowledgment for our efforts I will endeavor to listen to any pieces that have zero replies and do my best to comment. Just my two cents....
I have often felt bad that I do not get to the Show and Tell section often enough and when I do, I often do not have the time to listen to the piece offered. I snag a few minutes here and there during my work day to check out the forum and always have good intentions to check the links/videos/clips later and many times never make it back to them. Of the few that I manage, I really appreciate the time folks take to share so I admit that I need to do a better job of supporting them.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-10-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Hi three4rd,

Good post. I try to visit S and T when I can, but listening to everything that gets posted would take a real long time. I have noticed what you are talking about, and have tried to make a comment on some of underappreciated pieces--which are often quite good. Not all of those views are actual listens, and I am guilty of opening the thread just to see what is there, and then forgetting to get back to it later and listen. It can take a few submissions to get some responses, and maybe more for folks who are putting up original stuff.

Kudos to everyone who is putting there stuff out there.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

I think if you put in your title of the thread "Feedback requested" you might get a few more responses.

I don't do that because I'm afraid of what people might say

Seriously though I've seen{heard} great stuff that gets basically ignored, so I don't think a lack of commentary always means that the performance wasn't that great, but I'm sure a lot of the "no comment" stuff might need some technical improvement. I've had more than a few of my S&T threads bomb,

Generally though I think its a matter of when it was posted, the genre and and to a smaller extent whether the op frequently listens, comments and encourages other members' endeavors. There probably is that little bit of social interaction that comes into play that boosts the comments of a thread.

My mouse clicks will gravitate towards other members's show and tell threads that I have had conversations with in the past over the years. There are also times when I'm tired, its late and I feel like listening to a lot of different stuff so I'll just pick random threads in s&t to listen to. My lack of comments doesn't mean I didn't appreciate the tune or thought the playing was off. I'm just too lazy at that point to do anything except click and listen,

I am less likely to listen to someone's postings who didn't express appreciation when I did leave a comment historically. It doesn't take a lot of effort for someone to say "Thanks everyone" or something along those lines.

If someone doesn't participate in other parts of the forum I'm also not inclined to listen to their music, but that's not written in stone.

I appreciate the sense of community here and if someone just drops in their music and doesn't engage with others, generally to me they are more or less just passing through and I'm just not drawn to it unless its something I'm interested in i.e. tuning, genre, cover of known artist, etc.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-10-2019, 06:10 PM

OP's right, generally speaking, as a matter of good form. In my case zero responses, despite significant views, is okay because I weigh the views, not the responses.

The responses I've fielded to-date have all been pretty positive. To continue contributing sometimes feels like I'm fishing for more but my intent is just to help with the S&T when the urge strikes, which is infrequent. That's the only time I visit that forum. Otherwise, I spend the lion's share of my free time developing as a player and pretty much no time as an audience of any music. A home, maintenance on 4 cars and full time employment does not yield much recreational time.

TB's got a point about contributors failing their salutary obligation to their commenters, a thing I think I fail to do sometimes, so I at least try to thank them in advance in the original post. I know, that's kinda lame but to me the S&T is kind of a drop kick and run thing when I contribute.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

I do think the number of visitors to Show & Tell is not as high as the General section of the forum. I do think that the more you hang around in Show & Tell, the more people you will get to know. As you have been doing, Keith, listening to others and giving them encouragement is the right path. After a while people will get to know who you are and be providing you encouragement, too.

Hang in there Keith.

- Glenn
Old 07-11-2019, 12:10 PM

I must admit I am guilty of listening to some of the music posted by forum members, but never responding with a comment. I don't sign in here often these days because of other activities, but I sometimes drop by and scan the various topics. Today is the first day I've signed in for a while, and I've even made three post responses counting this one.

I looked at this thread count before responding and noticed the Views are nearing 300 with only 6 responses. This is pretty much with a lot of posts on the forum, high number of views and many with few responses. That doesn't mean that the subject matter isn't important, or the music in S & T, and other sections isn't as well. I really do look forward to having an opportunity to read/review and listen to as many posts as I can.

In the Show and Tell by our members, I sometimes leave a comment because the song had a special meaning for me during my early years in life. There are other times when I have intended to come back and leave a comment later at which time I get caught up in something else.

I appreciate each and every member sharing their passion for music with us/me. I enjoy listening and will attempt to do a little more typing in the future. Thanks for the post
Old 07-12-2019, 06:27 AM

I reply to as many as I can, with time being the issue. Huge fan of the S & T.

You can spend days in there, this Forum has some very gifted musicians. Everything I post there (and on my YouTube channel) is original so I appreciate the feedback as well.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-12-2019, 07:01 AM

I swing by Show and Tell if I notice someone posted a song I happen to really like. One of the things I have come to accept is that all of us are musical to some degree or another and we inundate ourselves with it.
As delighted as I would be to post something I performed well on here, In reality most folks really aren't interested. That's what I see happening in Show and Tell.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-12-2019, 09:54 AM
Guest 33123

I've spent a lot of time in Show and Tell. What I've observed is that if the song isn't a recognizable sing and strum tune from the 60s 70s 80s (think Neil Young) or you aren't very well known on the forum the post pretty much gets ignored. Sounds like a cynical assessment but I think it's pretty accurate.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 07-12-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:21 AM

Could be it is perceived as a forum backwater that is sekdom visited unless you happen to post something there.At least I got one complimentary comment!
Old 07-12-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

I hardly ever reply, but I have gotten a lot of good ideas from S&T - Glenwillow tutorials, Derek Coombs tabs, Tonedr lessons, and several good songs that I missed during their original releases.

Hardly a backwater - maybe a lost river that deserves more exploration.

CK
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 07-12-2019, 03:24 PM

Like others, I visit S&T somewhat rarely, and usually don't have time to listen to more than a few seconds of any recordings. That could easily turn into a full time job. So I don't feel qualified to offer comments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic