The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2018, 01:24 PM

I'd choose Paul out of those options although not a big fan, if anyone Springsteen,didn't get him till I saw him live though.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Good discussion. Given the two choices, I'd pick Sir Paul easily. But for me, the individuals aren't as relevant as what they represent. Macca could just as easily been Springsteen or someone similar, and my choice would be the same.

(no offense meant to Tommy or anyone making that selection)
Old 07-26-2018, 02:34 PM

Smile Other

I'd rather be fairly masterful at playing and writing ala Neil Young.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-26-2018, 07:41 PM

I could never be a vegan. Guess I'd have to be Tommy.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
Paul McCartney,songwriter,singer musician
Or
Tommy Emanuel,virtuoso player
Me? A musician like Paul
Nice to be a technician,but rather write great songs
You?
Dave

A great melody and a great story make a great song. That's what will reach the most people and that's been consistent throughout the history of rock and pop music. So between the two choices given I'd have to pick being Paul

I lost interest in technical virtuoso at a rather young age, when I was trying to mimic electric shredders of the 80s.

For the amount of effort a player like say Steve Vai has put into developing their skill, there is a very niche audience that will appreciate it. I get that could be applied to many things, niche sports and other hobbies but it's always felt a bit like a circus act to me. As much as I love listening to Tommy Emmanuel's playing, it's not the kind of thing I could listen to all day.

But there are exceptions. I could listen to Tony Rice's catalog on repeat and if I could play like anyone I'd have to pick Tony Rice.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 07-27-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:03 PM

Joni Mitchell, because you only gave male choices and I happen to be female. Joan Baez and Buffy St-Marie are also possibilities that I wouldn't mind being.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

I would like to be able to sing like Paul McCartney and play like Tommy Emmanuel. Both of those fellows have written some great songs, so I don't think song writing is the issue.

- Glenn
Old 07-21-2019, 08:27 PM

Charlie Patton
Old 07-21-2019, 08:32 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Or
Me? A musician like Paul
You?
Dave
I'd rather be me, with some McCartney thrown in
Old 07-21-2019, 08:34 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
Joni Mitchell, because you only gave male choices and I happen to be female. Joan Baez and Buffy St-Marie are also possibilities that I wouldn't mind being.
Yup....superb musician and all around artist!
Old 07-21-2019, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Paul MCartney - he's rich, handsome, grounded, talented, knighted and one of two living people who were Beatles...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-22-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

I think that no matter what area one is striving in, we tend to work towards our strengths. If we are not particularly good singers but we can play the guitar well, then we tend to work towards becoming an even better guitar player in hopes that that will get us noticed to be successful. If we are really good singers, then we tend to want to learn to play the guitar well enough to accompany our singing. Most really good singers are not virtuoso guitar players, though a few are.

I also think that most of us tend to find the least path of resistance to success so that we can maximize our rewards based on the work we have to put in.

For me, if I had the voice, mind, and musical genius of Paul McCartney, absolutely I would have done just what he did and hoped for success. Though if another guy like Paul McCartney came along today, there is no guarantee that we would ever hear about this person. The musical world is drastically different today than it was when the Beatles came on the scene.

Tommy Emmanuel's success has been hard won over decades of very hard work. Tommy is not a great singer. But at least for me, he is a terrific instrumental player and in particular, I think his own compositions, especially the pretty ones, are spectacular.

The path to success for a singing guitar player with a great voice is a whole lot easier than the path for an instrumental player. And once Tommy Emmanuel carved his own niche out of the music business, how much room is there in that small musical specialty for other players who want to copy Tommy's approach to success? I hear a lot of players these days trying to play stuff like Tommy. Most listeners except for guitar players don't know how to listen to this music. But most everyone knows how to listen to a great singer.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 07-22-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Cool Question Thanks.
For me Paul.......I've seen Tommy twice live and his ability/approach to playing is really unbelievable for sure (I said "wow" out loud probably two dozen times each time I saw him). However:
1) It's not as well remembered today just how revolutionary Paul's bass playing was. Jimi Hendrix and Herbie Hancock asked him to play bass as a special project trio which unfortunately never happened. Man, THOSE CATS were rarified air musicianship wise. His lead guitar work on numerous Beatles songs (Drive My Car, Taxman, Back In The USSR, etc.) is some of The Beatles' best. He also brought a new creative approach to acoustic playing into pop/rock.
2) Paul was THE benchmark vocalist for many of us. Going from "Oh Darling" & "Helter Skelter" to "I Will" & "Yesterday"....Who has that kind of dynamic range?
3)But the real tie breaker for me is Paul's written songs for the ages that will be known for perhaps centuries. I'm thinking Tommy's legacy is more confined.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Or
Me? A musician like Paul
You?
Dave
Tommy Emmanuel has written many beautiful guitar instrumentals though so he isnt just a technician. In fact I prefer his 'simpler' compositions that have an indelible melody which touches the heartstrings to the ones that are full of all kinds of almost impossible guitar playing tricks to pull off.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:01 PM

Being a virtuoso player is having a gift.
Writing a song that resonates with millions is giving a gift.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion