The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-12-2016, 02:48 PM

Question Who's using a BodyRez?

I've seen mostly glowing reviews for the TC Electronic BodyRez, so yesterday I bought a used one on eBay.

An AGF member posted a link to Sweetwater's page about the BodyRez, and all but a few of the twenty-four reviews gave it "five stars."

Does anyone here have one, and how do you like it?
Old 01-12-2016, 04:37 PM

Never heard of it until now. Sounds pretty darn good to me.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-12-2016, 07:51 PM

My TC Helicon Play Acoustic has a few built in. I like the 3rd one so much I retired the Red-Eye preamp I used before. Last Friday I gigged with it at a coffee house and the string-to-string balance was superb on my Bourgeois OM with a K&K
Old 01-12-2016, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjoh814 View Post
My TC Helicon Play Acoustic has a few built in....
I don't know what you mean. Has a "few" what?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-12-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Never heard of it until now. Sounds pretty darn good to me.
I've had my Ibanez TCY10E for awhile, but only recently noticed it seemed a little "quacky." (Preamp is an AEQ200T.) So I decided to try the BodyRez, too. I have a bunch of other TC Electronic/TC Helicon pedals, probably more than any other brand in my collection, and they're all pretty good.

Last edited by FolkRock Rules; 01-12-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I don't know what you mean. Has a "few" what?
I think he means a few effects (guitar as well as vocal), one of which is BodyRez™.
VoiceLive Play Acoustic

I'd say that's a pretty good endorsement, if it can help a Bourgeois sound even better.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:25 AM

Is there a way to have this Bodyrez pedal only effect the UST piezo and not a SBT like a K&K mini if you only have a single stereo output?
Old 01-13-2016, 09:58 AM

Just for clarification, and this is all from comments that I have gathered from the TC Helicon Forum. So if I am incorrect feel free to correct. Just trying to keep some confusion from occurring since I've seen the BodyRez term tossed around and it can be applied to three different devices and they all are different.

The TC Electronic BodyRez is a stand alone pedal with one knob that adjust the amount of the effect. It is based on BodyRez #1 from the Play Acoustic.

The TC Helicon Play Acoustic has 5 BodyRez presets/effect built in.

The TC Helicon VoiceLive 3 has 5 BodyRez Presents that sound similar to the Play Acoustic, but not exact. For some reason they didn't replicate the effect completely, so there is no "Amount" option, but instead created the presets with all the EQ settings. For the end user you still have to add your own compression and delay settings.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion01 View Post
Is there a way to have this Bodyrez pedal only effect the UST piezo and not a SBT like a K&K mini if you only have a single stereo output?
Are you running both pickups in your guitar? If so can you split the stereo output left being the UST and Right being the SBT? IMO, it would mean a stereo cord going into a something to split the left/right, but then you can send the UST only to the BodyRez pedal and the SBT to something else.

That would be my thinking on this.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:20 AM
Cocobologist

I also have the Play Acoustic unit. I've checked it out with Taylor's ES pickups - Versions 1.3 (mag/SBT) and 2.0 (piezo). I really like how the BodyRez helps to minimize the magnetic sound of the ES v1.3. As for ES v2.0, it sounds fantastic, very natural.

Although the included 5 presets cover most of an average player's needs, the advantage of BodyRez in the Acoustic Play unit is that you can tweak the compressor and parametric EQ settings to your liking in order to get even closer to what you'd like to hear. Nice flexibility. Highly recommend BodyRez.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 01-13-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8TrackJoe View Post
Are you running both pickups in your guitar? If so can you split the stereo output left being the UST and Right being the SBT? IMO, it would mean a stereo cord going into a something to split the left/right, but then you can send the UST only to the BodyRez pedal and the SBT to something else.

That would be my thinking on this.
Oh ok, so then I'd need a stereo 1/4" cable with 2 mono 1/4" plugs on the other end. I guess that is one way to do it, but not what I was wanting.

Currently, the stereo output goes into a stereo input of a DTAR Solstice pre-amp and it is split into 2 channels in the Solstice. I guess I could run the UST output through the FX send of the Solstice, and then to the BodyREZ and back into the Solstice FX Return.

I guess I answered my own question, but thanks for steering me in that direction 8TrackJoe
Old 01-13-2016, 11:26 AM

wow that's impressive... think they'll rent one out to me first just to try it?
Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner
‘96 Gibson J-100
Old 01-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjoh814 View Post
Last Friday I gigged with it at a coffee house and the string-to-string balance was superb on my Bourgeois OM with a K&K
TC Helicon states that the Body Rez is intended to "restore the natural sound of an acoustic guitar with undersaddle pickups." Of course USTs are infamous for their quacky tone. K&K is, however, a soundboard transducer which is famous for not suffering from UST quack.

So, I guess I am confused. In what way does the Body Rez improve the K&K? Are you saying that your K&K equipped Bourgeois was quacky even with a RedEye? Or are you saying it did not have good string to string balance which the Body Rez improved?

Steve
Old 01-13-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion01 View Post
Oh ok, so then I'd need a stereo 1/4" cable with 2 mono 1/4" plugs on the other end. I guess that is one way to do it, but not what I was wanting.

Currently, the stereo output goes into a stereo input of a DTAR Solstice pre-amp and it is split into 2 channels in the Solstice. I guess I could run the UST output through the FX send of the Solstice, and then to the BodyREZ and back into the Solstice FX Return.

I guess I answered my own question, but thanks for steering me in that direction 8TrackJoe
Not sure what you are doing? I think the FX send and return is for the pedal and would effect both pickups? I think you would have to split the stereo cable and but the pedal on the one pickup and then into your Dtar. Probably good just to let effect both using the insertion jacks.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-13-2016, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

i use one with a redeye pre-amp. into the preamp and out to the bodyrez, out of bodyrez into an aer 60/3 and lined out to a Qsc 10 powered speaker. i play a martin hd28 and a 00018. i can definitely tell the difference when not using it. if the bodyrez isn't on i notice right away. adds warmth, fullness and that acoustic sound i believe we're all looking for. great piece of equipment in my opinion. have k&k minis in both guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification