The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-22-2019, 05:22 PM

Default Grand Pacific Showdown...517 Vs 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Don't know what to tell you. What is the time frame upon which you can have it replaced? Guess you have a decision to make.

It’s getting worse now, and is starting to rough up and turn whiter around the edges. Working with Taylor on it...I’ll report back!

IMG_5435.jpg

IMG_5430.jpg

Last edited by Shades of Blue; 07-22-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
It’s getting worse now, and is starting to rough up and turn whiter around the edges. Working with Taylor on it...I’ll report back!

Attachment 25178

Attachment 25180
It kinda looks like either: 1)adhesive "creep" along the seam or, 2) very slight seam separation is causing the finish to cloud a bit as it's "stressed"; but obviously I'm just guessing here. Will be interested in what the final diagnosis is, but I'd think Taylor will take care of it, no problem
Old 07-22-2019, 10:16 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Bummer...but my experiences with Taylor CS has been VERY good. So I’m thinking they’ll do you right.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
It kinda looks like either: 1)adhesive "creep" along the seam or, 2) very slight seam separation is causing the finish to cloud a bit as it's "stressed"; but obviously I'm just guessing here. Will be interested in what the final diagnosis is, but I'd think Taylor will take care of it, no problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Bummer...but my experiences with Taylor CS has been VERY good. So I’m thinking they’ll do you right.
The interesting thing is that the Taylor Rep said that this finish is so difficult to work with, that it would probably result in a total redo of the entire body. Sounds pretty extensive, and I've been told by my dealer that I can get a replacement no problem.

I'm leaning towards just getting a replacement, but Taylor is researching the possibility of touching it up and what that would entail. Interesting stuff, and unfortunate, but it is what it is. I was going to keep it and live with it, but it's definitely getting white along the edge and resale would take a hit once buyers see it.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I'm leaning towards just getting a replacement, but Taylor is researching the possibility of touching it up and what that would entail. Interesting stuff, and unfortunate, but it is what it is. I was going to keep it and live with it, but it's definitely getting white along the edge and resale would take a hit once buyers see it.
Yea, I'd be concerned that it could separate more over time. It's gotten worse since you posted it the 1st time. I would trade it in and get a new guitar if it were mine.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Yea, I'd be concerned that it could separate more over time. It's gotten worse since you posted it the 1st time. I would trade it in and get a new guitar if it were mine.
+1. I agree. Where an excuse is required now, you may always wonder later. Who knows, maybe there is another 517 with an equal, if not even more attractive top? although with the shading of the honey burst, how much of the top do you really see?

The more important aspect is how it sounds and plays ...with no issues around the binding. My vote; Go for a replacement and call it a day.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-23-2019, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just return it and get another. You shouldn’t have this on a brand new guitar, and it’ll just drive you crazy. You’ve already commented that there’s nothing particularly special about this instrument, so why deal with the hassle of a repair if you have the option of getting a brand new replacement? If your dealer doesn’t have one at the present time that you like the looks of, just wait until they get one in that you like...I’m sure they’d give you store credit. It’s your guitar and your decision, but FWIW, that’s what I would do.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 07-23-2019, 08:31 AM

I've got this on mine. I know it's in the wood, but it looks a bit like a finish run.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
+1. I agree. Where an excuse is required now, you may always wonder later. Who knows, maybe there is another 517 with an equal, if not even more attractive top? although with the shading of the honey burst, how much of the top do you really see?

The more important aspect is how it sounds and plays ...with no issues around the binding. My vote; Go for a replacement and call it a day.
Yep, I also agree.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-23-2019, 12:13 PM

+1 but I have an evil ulterior motive. I want to read your views after comparing the two 517’s!
Old 07-23-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post
+1 but I have an evil ulterior motive. I want to read your views after comparing the two 517’s!
Love it! Well played!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-23-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post
Well, good news is Taylor is going to hand pick me another one from the factory, so that is pretty stinkin' cool! Bad news is I have to return this one first, so I won't really have a great opportunity to A/B them.

I will say that this 517 has opened up significantly and has grown on me. I can't say that it is really a "special" one, but it gives me confidence that a new one from Taylor will be just as good and will open up within a few weeks.

Kudos to LA Guitar Sales and Taylor for working with me. It appears to be such an insignificant issue in the grand scheme, but their desire to make it right for me is much appreciated.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Well, good news is Taylor is going to hand pick me another one from the factory, so that is pretty stinkin' cool! Bad news is I have to return this one first, so I won't really have a great opportunity to A/B them.

I will say that this 517 has opened up significantly and has grown on me. I can't say that it is really a "special" one, but it gives me confidence that a new one from Taylor will be just as good and will open up within a few weeks.

Kudos to LA Guitar Sales and Taylor for working with me. It appears to be such an insignificant issue in the grand scheme, but their desire to make it right for me is much appreciated.
Good news. Ted and Helene are great. I hope you love the replacement as much or more!

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-23-2019, 03:44 PM

Default Grand Pacific Showdown...517 Vs 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I've got this on mine. I know it's in the wood, but it looks a bit like a finish run.

Wow that is odd but kind of cool

It’s sort of like Bearclaw in a way!

Last edited by Shades of Blue; 07-23-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:40 AM

Well, my 517 is on its way back to Taylor. Hopefully the replacement will be shortly behind!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion