The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-19-2019, 10:09 PM

Default Zoom H2n vs Q2n-4k, Any experiences?

Hey I'm currently looking to get one of these portable recorders and I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Q2n-4k's audio is the the same as the H2n's just with the added feature of video recording?

I'm assuming in such a small package they had to suffice some of the audio quality for it to be able to record video at the same time aswell. Has anyone owned both before? (Just to clarify again I'm talking about the 4k version of the Q2n not the older one) (And the H2n not the older H2) Thanks!

Edit: I also realize the posistioning of the Q2n relative to the guitar would be much different since you have to take into account getting the subject into the frame of the video; You'd have to have the q2n much further back instead of using the conventional pointing at the 12th fret from a short medium distance. But I'm curious about the actual audio hardware, are they the same?
Old 07-20-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonCats View Post
Hey I'm currently looking to get one of these portable recorders and I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Q2n-4k's audio is the the same as the H2n's just with the added feature of video recording?

I'm assuming in such a small package they had to suffice some of the audio quality for it to be able to record video at the same time aswell. Has anyone owned both before? (Just to clarify again I'm talking about the 4k version of the Q2n not the older one) (And the H2n not the older H2) Thanks!

Edit: I also realize the posistioning of the Q2n relative to the guitar would be much different since you have to take into account getting the subject into the frame of the video; You'd have to have the q2n much further back instead of using the conventional pointing at the 12th fret from a short medium distance. But I'm curious about the actual audio hardware, are they the same?
Hi LC

First of all, if recording audio and video on the same device, one should concentrate on capturing the best audio and then deal with the video.

If both are equally important, then one would be better off capturing them separately and syncing them in post production.

The audio quality of Zoom portables is great, and Zoom's service and upgradability (and keeping their recorders upgraded) is superb.

Because I'm also a serious photographer I'd opt for just getting the best audio recorder I can afford, and using the best video capture device I already own (including the option of phones, and both crop sensor or full frame DSLR/Mirrorless cameras).

From experience people care more about audio than video, and I'll take a 1080p video with excellent audio over a 4K image with average or below average audio capture.

Hope this adds to the discussion.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD