The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-11-2019, 05:46 PM

Hey Glenn that's brilliant
Old 07-11-2019, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB View Post
Hey Glenn that's brilliant
Thank you John!

Thanks for watching and commenting! I'm so glad you thought this worked out okay! Much appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 07-11-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Hi Glenn--Wow, great arrangement, sung with great feeling. A song that has and will continue to endure for a very long time, handled with the care that it demands and deserves. Well done
Old 07-11-2019, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful Glenn, great job.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-11-2019, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Hi Glenn--Wow, great arrangement, sung with great feeling. A song that has and will continue to endure for a very long time, handled with the care that it demands and deserves. Well done
Thank you Bob!

How rewarding to hear from you! I hope all is well for you!

Thanks for your kind comments on the arrangement. The great thing about playing with fingers is that you can arrange notes and chords and voicings to sort of bring out the idea of the original song but in perhaps a slightly different way. And because the accompaniment is not an instrumental piece but rather helps support the vocal, it's not as hard as figuring out how to play the harmonic accompaniment combined with the melody. I did play around with building the melody line into the accompaniment, but felt that it just interfered with the feel of the song. So I just played what I tended to play naturally and it seemed to work out okay.

It sure is a great old song put together by a pretty young guy at the time. It really shows the talent residing there in Paul McCartney.

Thanks so much for listening and taking the time to comment Bob!

- Glenn
Old 07-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Beautiful Glenn, great job.
Thank you Barry!

Very nice of you to weigh in and provide support for my efforts. And I have been appreciating your efforts on your Show & Tell offerings, too! You have been doing great!

Thanks for taking the time to comment Barry!

- Glenn
Old 07-11-2019, 10:19 PM

Thumbs up Wonderful!

Glenn, that was wonderful! Glad to see the Olson pulled out for this one, the tone suits perfectly. You really nailed it with your voice, and I loved your playing with vocal timing to make this your own. Such a timeless piece, but you brought a fresh take on it.

The black background took me a moment to get used to - you've turned pro, after all these years! Great upgrade. I love how you keep improving and fine tuning your approach to music recording, whether it's the electric 12 string Rick to expand your sound, or new video techniques to improve the visual impact.

Great job Glenn!!!
Old 07-11-2019, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Glenn, that was wonderful! Glad to see the Olson pulled out for this one, the tone suits perfectly. You really nailed it with your voice, and I loved your playing with vocal timing to make this your own. Such a timeless piece, but you brought a fresh take on it.

The black background took me a moment to get used to - you've turned pro, after all these years! Great upgrade. I love how you keep improving and fine tuning your approach to music recording, whether it's the electric 12 string Rick to expand your sound, or new video techniques to improve the visual impact.

Great job Glenn!!!
Hi Carmel Cedar!

Thanks so much -- you are always so supportive! Thanks for the kind words and encouragement!

I have been thinking about trying out the green screen for quite a while, ever since KevWind did a video about this technique. But I had been waiting for my wife to help me iron the cloth green screen I had purchased. She finally suggested just this last week that I should just get a hand held portable electric steamer to take the wrinkles out of the green screen after I hung it from the window frame behind me. I had never heard of this portable steamer, so we looked them up on Amazon and bought what looked like the right thing. And lo and behold, that steamer worked really great. It was so simple and took out the wrinkles like magic!

And then I remembered reading about the need for lights to properly light the green screen so then I ordered a set of lights and reflectors from Amazon and they arrived two days later. By the next day I had the lights set up, so then I started experimenting with the green screen to see if it would work in the video program. It did, much to my amazement. So then I started experimenting with all kinds of backgrounds.

I thought I had some good backgrounds picked out, so then I recorded "Yesterday" and started programming the video from the three cameras with the separate audio from my computer recording system. But then I was unhappy with the backgrounds I thought would work so well on the green screen.

So I went back to try something different. When I deleted the background image from the track that was showing up on the green screen so that I could try something else behind me, I suddenly got a black image showing up on the green screen. The blank track is just blackness from a video standpoint. I thought, hey, this is really what I wanted all along! I mean, really, does anyone want to see me playing "Yesterday" while I look like I'm in outer space??!! (I actually had a brick wall behind me on the green screen.)

As you know, lots of discoveries happen by accident.

It's true that I keep looking for ways to do things better. I knew that from the beginning that my lighting and background stuff was not too great on my videos. So I thought I would take a break from recording videos and try to improve a little. Hopefully I will find some improvements on my next video, too.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

Also, I, too, thought that the Olson sounded good on this version of Yesterday. I tried several guitars and I ended up liking the warmer sound of the Olson. Also, the fingerstyle approach to accompaniment worked fairly seamlessly for me. I started out playing it like I used to more than 50 years ago, my version of that McCartney strumming, and then I thought, well, this sounds kind of clunky. Can't you do better than that? So I tried the finger picking approach, and then I changed the key from F to D to make the voicings sound better. Then the song seemed to fall into place where I was comfortable with what it sounded like. I know I took some liberties, but I could never do a good job of cloning Paul McCartney's voice anyway, even when I was 16 years old let alone at my age now.

- Glenn
Old 07-12-2019, 10:16 AM

Yesterday is one of those songs that is being played or sung somewhere every minute of the day. You did a great job Glenn! I like that key(E) for this song.
You know that Olson tears my heart out!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 07-12-2019, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Well done Glenn! Such a lovely touch and a sweet voice... The Olson is certainly a wonderful guitar tho I wonder how it would have sounded on your D35 when capo'd as it sounded so good on your rendition of Sound Of Silence? (one of your best vidz bro) Just a thought.

eric
Old 07-12-2019, 12:37 PM

Really nice Glenn. Great job on a great song.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
Yesterday is one of those songs that is being played or sung somewhere every minute of the day. You did a great job Glenn! I like that key(E) for this song.
You know that Olson tears my heart out!
Hi Vance!

Well, I am glad to know you are listening Vance! Thanks so much for your encouraging feedback!

Yes, the key of E, just a half step down, really is a lot more comfortable for a baritone like me to sing that song.

And I do remember that you like the sound of the Olson. I like it, too.

Thanks for taking the time to comment Vance!

- Glenn
Old 07-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Well done Glenn! Such a lovely touch and a sweet voice... The Olson is certainly a wonderful guitar tho I wonder how it would have sounded on your D35 when capo'd as it sounded so good on your rendition of Sound Of Silence? (one of your best vidz bro) Just a thought.

eric
Hi Eric!

Oh, how nice of you to watch and take the time to comment! I'm really glad you thought this came out okay!

You know, I played this on the D-35 when I was working this out in our piano room and it sounded great. My wife commented on it. But the D-35 was in the house and the other guitars were up in the studio, and being the very fortunate guy that I am, I had a fair number of choices. So I picked the Olson. But you are right, that D-35 would have sounded great on this. I should have just gone down to the house and brought it up to my studio.

Thanks for your comments Eric! And I am extremely glad that you like my version of "Sound of Silence!! I think that one came out pretty well, too, so it's very rewarding to know that you agree! That's cool!

Take care Eric!

- Glenn
Old 07-12-2019, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
Really nice Glenn. Great job on a great song.
Thank you Mike!

It's great to know you are listening! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! It is a great song! It sure takes me back in time!

- Glenn
Old 07-12-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

That was great. I have been sporadically working on a fingerstyle version of Yesterday to post here that I don't have down yet, but now that is really OK - I now have the excuse of waiting until the interest in this version dissipates over time!

CK

PS - I will do it in G
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell