The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-24-2019, 02:39 PM

Default Marshall Code 25 amp will have to go

I bought a Marshall Code 25 modeling amp around a year ago.
It hasn't had much play time since I usually play through headphones on my computer using the Scuffham S-Gear guitar amp software package which I happen to really like.

I was attracted to the Code 25 by the compact cabinet size despite the 10" speaker. It seemed to get pretty good reviews and I figured it would make an ideal replacement for my old Fender Mustang I amp.

I spent a few hours yesterday going through the many presets and attempting to create my own patches from scratch.

I couldn't find a sound that I liked. Ice pick treble, harsh digital sounding amp.
I can only think that the positive reviews come from beginner guitarists because this thing just sounds nasty.

My last Marshall was a 2061x 20 watt head, also known as "Lead and Bass 20". It was awesome compared to this thing.

I will sell the Code 25 and maybe buy a Marshall DSL1CR combo, which only puts out 1 watt into an 8 inch speaker. But to me it sounds pretty much like a Marshall should sound, albeit at quieter volumes.

My Scuffham S-Gear plugin sounds much better than the Code 25.

Just thought I would share my experience.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 06-24-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
I bought a Marshall Code 25 modeling amp around a year ago...

I spent a few hours yesterday going through the many presets and attempting to create my own patches from scratch.

I couldn't find a sound that I liked. Ice pick treble, harsh digital sounding amp...

My last Marshall was a 2061x 20 watt head, also known as "Lead and Bass 20". It was awesome compared to this thing.

I will sell the Code 25 and maybe buy a Marshall DSL1CR combo, which only puts out 1 watt into an 8 inch speaker. But to me it sounds pretty much like a Marshall should sound, albeit at quieter volumes...
I'm not surprised - and you're not the first one to find digital amps soulless and lacking in comparison to the originals they purport to emulate; as I'm sure you're aware there's a bunch of fine-sounding low-power/low-price tube amps out there - Bugera (my favorite), Vox, Fender, Marshall, Blackstar, Egnater, just to name a few - and with some well-chosen replacement tubes (often the weak link in these amps) and some old-fashioned practice it shouldn't be too hard to find your signature tone(s)...
Old 06-27-2019, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the reply Steve, I must admit my post reads a bit on the negative side but I was genuinely shocked at how bad the Marshall Code 25 sounds.
It was so bad that you wouldn't know I was playing a Telecaster guitar and even switching pickups from bridge to neck hardly altered the tone from the code 25.
In contrast the Scuffham S-Gear amp software lets the tone and signature of my guitars be clearly heard and enjoyed.

I have a 5F1 Fender tweed champ kit that I really need to build. I'm sure that would suit me much better. I'm also thinking of building a Marshall 18 watt amp from a kit if the Champ works and I don't electrocute myself.
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 06-27-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
...I have a 5F1 Fender tweed Champ kit that I really need to build...I'm also thinking of building a Marshall 18 watt amp from a kit if the Champ works and I don't electrocute myself.
Now you're talking - those 18/20-watt Marshalls (and to a lesser extent the 50's) were underappreciated for years, back when everyone had to have a 100-watter; never were too many of them built, the tone geeks who really understood what they were about generally aren't getting rid of them, and the price of a new one is more than a bit on the high side - so if you've got the ability building your own is about the best way to go...
Old 06-28-2019, 05:04 AM

The Bugera V5 is a great sounding little amp, don't sound like a Marshall but has it's own kind of mojo. If you want a 1 watter you can pick up a Blackstar HT-1 for $170 at ProAudioStar

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-28-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Steve, I must admit my post reads a bit on the negative side but I was genuinely shocked at how bad the Marshall Code 25 sounds.
It was so bad that you wouldn't know I was playing a Telecaster guitar and even switching pickups from bridge to neck hardly altered the tone from the code 25.
In contrast the Scuffham S-Gear amp software lets the tone and signature of my guitars be clearly heard and enjoyed.

I have a 5F1 Fender tweed champ kit that I really need to build. I'm sure that would suit me much better. I'm also thinking of building a Marshall 18 watt amp from a kit if the Champ works and I don't electrocute myself.
Fender Champ was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the OP.

Where do you get your kits? This is something I've been thinking about doing some day.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Fender Champ was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the OP.

Where do you get your kits? This is something I've been thinking about doing some day.
I live in the UK so I use a UK based company called Ampmaker:

http://www.ampmaker.com/store/home.php

The kits are a good price for what they are. The shop is closed currently until Autumn 2019.
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 07-03-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I live in the UK so I use a UK based company called Ampmaker:

http://www.ampmaker.com/store/home.php

The kits are a good price for what they are. The shop is closed currently until Autumn 2019.
Thanks for that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars