The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-25-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losov View Post
Nah, not gonna read the whole thread, I was only responding to the original post. Didn't notice the date. But I do realize I didn't answer your question, so I will.

In my case, if you look at my channel you'll see it's it's currently devoid of any covers. But you'll also see that I have disabled comments and "star ratings". I'm just not interested in that whole YouTube thing of everyone telling each other they're awesome (when they clearly aren't) and trying to amass high view counts. I can't clear the view counter, so every now and then I take the vids down to reset the counters. So why are they there at all? Several reasons.

I use YT as an adjunct to the CD packages I give to club owners/managers. I reference the channel so they can see me actually performing the songs and so they can be aware that I am, in fact, an old guy and not some young hunk. If that's what they're looking for they can keep looking. I also use it to keep in touch with old friends and band mates from back in the day when we played Skynard in roadhouses, to show them what I'm up to now.

Lastly, it occurred to me that there are many people here giving opinions and advice. Having a couple of videos accessible provides a frame of reference for any advice/opinions I might share so the reader can decide if I know what I'm talking about or not.

So, FWIW, those are my reasons.

Oh! Why covers? They're really more interesting than my originals.
Good for you. A real man interested only in "art". Totally devoid of any ego, would that everyone were like that...

In the meantime, I'm not as rock solid as that, and my fragile ego needs boosting on occasion. See the link below in my signature. You can rate AND comment. I don't mind if you tell me I'm great, I can read between the lines, I don't mind if you tell me I have a ways to go too! And if you want to hire me for a gig, you can see I'm a young (52) hunk. I can gray things up if you need though.

Last edited by Fliss; 11-15-2011 at 07:16 AM. Reason: language
Old 03-25-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Good for you. A real man interested only in "art". Totally devoid of any ego, would that everyone were like that...
Ain't no art about what I do. I just play the guitar and sing. There's a difference.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:00 AM

Hi,

I've found that not everyone will like originals, and sometimes, to build your fan base and get noticed, you have to put up covers. People wont be searching "Callum Aveling I Had A Dream" randomly, but they will be searching "Rascal Flatts Acoustic Cover" - which is where the hits will come! People can sing along and know the song, and realise where you make it your own if they know it already.

Its also a lot easier to learn a cover and post it then write a whole new song.

Saying that, think its time i made a new cover!-loong overdue.

Cheers
Callum
Old 11-07-2011, 11:56 PM

Sometimes you post in YouTube covers but you could add something to them. In many cases you want to express yourself - you know the Maslow's pyramid and it's highest level. But I don't think that there is something not copied at some point at YT. Anyway, in my opinion if the cover is good and a little bit different why not
Old 11-12-2011, 05:49 AM

I think it provides an audience for many who otherwise would not have one because they do not gig, play in church, etc, but feel the need for some kind of approval of their efforts.

I often surf Youtube looking for these guys and the way I find them is by seaching for a song I know. If they were only playing originals, I would not find them.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesypicky View Post
Without youtube, I would have probably never heard this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J503OvHWKko
Same goes for me.

But I'm not one to bear a grudge, so I won't hold it against Youtube ...
Old 11-14-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Reno View Post
I can understand wanting to get original material out to be seen on the internet, but covers?
Um, frankly, most originals are pretty boring. Good composers are few and far between while guitar players who quite mistakenly think they are good composers are a dime a dozen. I'd way rather listen to someone play a decent version of a good tune than someone working his/her way through some pile of cliches they "wrote."
Old 11-14-2011, 10:43 PM

Default youtube

For an intermediate guitar player I can definitely see the attraction. If you're to the point where you're thinking of playing some open stages the feedback will defiitely tell you where you're at without the terror of doing it for the first time. I can play comfortably in front of 4-5 of my friends or family, but am positively not comfortable going in front of a group of people, most of whom, I don't know. I'm thinking of setting up on youtube myself (after just a little more practice of course LOL) doing a few covers well enough to get some kudos and then telling myself I just played in front of x amount of people who mosly liked it so what's to be afraid of? Of course, x amount of people might not like it and I could find out without the embarassment that I should go back to the drawing board,,, and just a little more practice of course. For those players good enough to play a cover well the feedback is usually very enthusiastic. Most of the youtube people looking to hear a particular song want to hear a close rendition of the original. The real talented guys do covers with all the bells and whistles and are a joy to watch and listen to. I sing better than almost all of them so maybe I've got a chance
Old 11-15-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Gretsch View Post
Um, frankly, most originals are pretty boring. Good composers are few and far between while guitar players who quite mistakenly think they are good composers are a dime a dozen. I'd way rather listen to someone play a decent version of a good tune than someone working his/her way through some pile of cliches they "wrote."
I absolutely agree.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Gretsch View Post
I have to agree with this too. In my own experience, I really have not written anything that I would want to bring out for anybody to hear. The standards, for example, survive the test of time because they are really good and do well in many different musical settings. Out of any musical era, there come a relatively small portion of what music was created that will withstand the test of time and become that era's "standards". A strong melody, decent harmony, good solid lyrics, these things (done well) will sound good in a variety of musical settings from fingerstyle to solo chord melody, to full orchestrated production. I do not seem to have the ability to create such music, and really don't know if it is a "talent" to begin with that needs to be developed or if it is something anybody can develop. I do know that I don't have the desire to work to develop that skill (nor do I sing...) and am perfectly content to instrumentally "cover" a good song that somebody else wrote, instead focusing on developing the musical vocabulary to do that.

Regarding YouTube, I don't seem to have the desire to get involved in YouTube and make videos of myself playing. On occasion I have put up MP3s on a box.net account for some people to hear, and then taken them down. I just enjoy playing guitar and don't need to prove myself to anybody. I played in a band full time for about two years (6 nights a week) back in the late 70s (like a lot of people here, so nothing special about it) and decided it was not what I wanted to do with my life. I also played lead guitar in a church band for about three years and have occasionally done some other musical involvements since then. For me, it is a hobby and as long as I enjoy doing it, it will continue to be a hobby. I do enjoy following links people post here to their YouTube offerings though.

Tony
Old 02-13-2012, 05:07 PM

when you sit at home playing guitar for your own enjoyment there is no feedback button. I throw a tune up in the forum because this is one of the few places to get constructive feedback and not some arse who can't play a chord giving grief. I like to know what I am playing sounds decent!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:44 PM

I haven't seen this thread when it first started few years back.

I'm glad someone brought it back up, thank you!!

I'm gonna read this thread from the first one to the current ones and still hope people will keep it going at least for a little while more.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 PM

This thread has made me realize that most classical musicians spend their entire careers only playing "cover tunes". What a bunch of losers! Why the heck doesn't Yo Yo Ma or Itzhak Perlman go write some originals?

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 02-14-2012, 11:43 AM

Fascinating thread - I've got 15 minutes for lunch break so I hope to get a chance to read it later.

I post on YouTube for some of these reasons:

1. It's a great way to monitor progress. I started playing actively about 3 years ago, and posting 2 years ago. It's great to see improvement.

2. I do it only for family and friends and it's a wonderful way to dedicate a song to someone significant in my life. There's a 'permanent" record for my children, etc. (should they care some day

If anyone else cares to look that's fine, but.........

3. I did start posting on the "Show and Tell" section of AGF, and that has been a great way to get superb feedback and ideas for improvement. Also, the guys there are amazingly encouraging - and that works well for me. It's a motivator to keep me working at it and wanting to do it better.

4. For me personally, YouTube creates an incentive to get a tune down and it's amazing how being in front of a camera forces you to think about every tiny little aspect of your playing. I think it's been the best thing I can think of, short of public performance, for forcing me out of sloppy habits and learning tunes half-way.

5. It's been a fabulous way to expand my musical horizons, following other fingerstyle players, and getting new tunes and ideas. I will take a tune I like, and alter it to my style; sometimes almost re-writing it to the point where it's like a new tune.

6. There is a true community niche aspect amongst folks I've met who share guitar styles. I've met folks who share a passion and we share ideas and tunes.

7. The drawback, for me, to YouTube, is the "suggested sites" that they post on the right side of the screen. No way to shut it out.

I could think of more positive aspects, but gotta go..............

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234

Last edited by bbrown; 02-20-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
7. The drawback, for me, to YouTube, is the "suggested sites" that they post on the right side of the screen. No way to shut it out. Some really raunchy stuff, and I think massive amounts of damage is being done to folks without self-discipline.
Easily done! Depending on your browser you can use "User CSS", "User JavaScript" or, my advice I you don't know your web tech and don't care to, get a plugin/addon for your respective browser to do it for you. Im an Opera user and two or three YouTube specific addons to customise it the way I want. I'm in my phone right now so I can't recall the names I the plugins but cleaning up the UI is easily done, amongst other things!

2005 Lakewood D54 - Sunrise and Dazzos
2004 Taylor Big Baby - K&K Trinity
SR Technology Jam 400 + QSC K10
TC Electronic 2240
Kurzweil Rumour
(Digitech 2120 for electric duties at home)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD