The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-05-2022, 11:23 AM
gerardo1000 gerardo1000 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,448
Default Anyone tried the new Donner carbon fiber guitar sold by Amazon?

It is called Donner Rising Pro, and it c osts less than $500...I wonder if some members of this forum purchased one and can comment on it?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-05-2022, 12:38 PM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tropical Tip of Texas
Posts: 6,623
Default

No ratings or comments on Amazon, yet.
__________________
Some CF, some wood.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-05-2022, 01:01 PM
121 121 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New England
Posts: 842
Default

Looks interesting.

https://www.donnermusic.com/products/risingg
__________________
Emerald
2016 X7
2017 X20
2018 X30
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-05-2022, 01:14 PM
David Eastwood's Avatar
David Eastwood David Eastwood is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,660
Default

Interesting. It bucks the trend in low-price CF/Composite guitars by being purely acoustic.

I canít find any specs beyond the materials, and that itís 38Ē long, which doesnít mean a lot.
__________________
The artist formerly known as eatswodo
1963 Martin 0-16NY
2018 Emerald X20
FOR SALE 2019 Emerald X20-7 https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=658987
2021 Emerald Amicus

Some of my tunes:
https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-05-2022, 01:18 PM
gerardo1000 gerardo1000 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,448
Default

Yes, I couln't find any info on the scale length, and on the width at the nut...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-05-2022, 02:27 PM
DavidE's Avatar
DavidE DavidE is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 3,845
Default

Historically, Donner has made copies of existing guitar pedals and other things. I'd be surprised if this wasn't made by someone else and has the Donner name on it. But I'm going to subscribe to this thread and see if anyone gives it a shot.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-05-2022, 04:11 PM
Redduc Redduc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Interesting. It bucks the trend in low-price CF/Composite guitars by being purely acoustic.

I canít find any specs beyond the materials, and that itís 38Ē long, which doesnít mean a lot.
It may use Woven Carbon Fiber (T700) on the front but definitely not for the back, sides or neck. It is some kind of pressure molded process which Ďcouldí have some carbon fibers in it, but typically less than 35%.

Someone needs to buy one and cut it up!

Ian
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-05-2022, 04:46 PM
David Eastwood's Avatar
David Eastwood David Eastwood is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,660
Default

Iím puzzled by the DO Bucket. Or is it a DO Barrel?



Exclusive DO Bucket Ensures the Coexistence
of Resonance and Timbre Layers


Carbon fiber material is born with a low frequency weakness. To compensate for material shortcomings, the Donner industrial
design team created an exclusive Donner DO barrel body to ensure the quality and structure of the guitar tone. The RISING-G PRO
has a strong reverb resonance in addition to the light body, making the tonal qualities rich and full.
__________________
The artist formerly known as eatswodo
1963 Martin 0-16NY
2018 Emerald X20
FOR SALE 2019 Emerald X20-7 https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=658987
2021 Emerald Amicus

Some of my tunes:
https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-05-2022, 06:30 PM
DavidE's Avatar
DavidE DavidE is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 3,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redduc View Post
It may use Woven Carbon Fiber (T700) on the front but definitely not for the back, sides or neck. It is some kind of pressure molded process which Ďcouldí have some carbon fibers in it, but typically less than 35%.

Someone needs to buy one and cut it up!

Ian
There's a video from NAMM where they talk about this a little. They may have touched on it in one of their own videos as well.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-05-2022, 07:16 PM
gerardo1000 gerardo1000 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,448
Default

A first review just pop up today on Amazon.
Here it is: "Donner Carbon Fiber Acoustic Guitar, I've never had one like this. It is amazing and different. Resistant to changes of shape from humidity, carbon fiber is very durable to help this guitar if need be to travel with it. The weight is less than that of an actual acoustic guitar.
The first I heard of this guitar was at the 2022 National Association of Music Merchants, I believe it made its' debut there. The carbon fiber are supposedly as close to acoustic wood as possible to match what an acoustic is. You can check out their info for more details there.
It is beautifully crafted and quality. Highly recommended."
If it has a 1 3/4 neck I would be tempted... also considering that Amazon has free returns, no questions asked.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-05-2022, 08:12 PM
Aspiring Aspiring is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
A first review just pop up today on Amazon.

Here it is: "Donner Carbon Fiber Acoustic Guitar, I've never had one like this. It is amazing and different. Resistant to changes of shape from humidity, carbon fiber is very durable to help this guitar if need be to travel with it. The weight is less than that of an actual acoustic guitar.

The first I heard of this guitar was at the 2022 National Association of Music Merchants, I believe it made its' debut there. The carbon fiber are supposedly as close to acoustic wood as possible to match what an acoustic is. You can check out their info for more details there.

It is beautifully crafted and quality. Highly recommended."

If it has a 1 3/4 neck I would be tempted... also considering that Amazon has free returns, no questions asked.
A quick look at the reviewers other reviews not to mention the wording of that review lead me to believe it is not exactly a paying customer review.

On the other hand it looks potentially interesting. I just wish more composite makers would embrace beveled and rounded edges.

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-06-2022, 08:36 AM
gerardo1000 gerardo1000 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,448
Default

The reviews on Amazon are now four, and one is very negative because the person who wrote it says that (incredibly enough) the saddle is MOLDED to the bridge ?! According to the review, the guitar came with a very high strings action, and it looks like the action cannot be adjusted because the saddle cannot be removed to lower its height... it looks crazy to me, how is it possible to even think to mold a saddle to the bridge? I hope that the reviewer is wrong...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-06-2022, 02:01 PM
mountainmaster mountainmaster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
The reviews on Amazon are now four, and one is very negative because the person who wrote it says that (incredibly enough) the saddle is MOLDED to the bridge ?! According to the review, the guitar came with a very high strings action, and it looks like the action cannot be adjusted because the saddle cannot be removed to lower its height... it looks crazy to me, how is it possible to even think to mold a saddle to the bridge? I hope that the reviewer is wrong...
It seems they are taking the "one piece construction" concept a bit too far.

I have seen similar constructions in carbon fiber guitars. The outdoor guitar for example has individual saddles molded to the bridge: https://www.outdoorukulele.com/colle...-carbon-nickel

And I don't think this promo image is going to attract any serious players...

__________________
Emerald X30
Emerald X20 Nylon
Emerald X7 Nylon
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Taylor 522e 12-fret
Gitane DG-560 nylon
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Yamaha Guitalele

Last edited by mountainmaster; 10-06-2022 at 02:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-06-2022, 03:56 PM
JackDaniel JackDaniel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 152
Default

LOLOL!!!!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
It seems they are taking the "one piece construction" concept a bit too far.

I have seen similar constructions in carbon fiber guitars. The outdoor guitar for example has individual saddles molded to the bridge: https://www.outdoorukulele.com/colle...-carbon-nickel

And I don't think this promo image is going to attract any serious players...

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-06-2022, 04:04 PM
steelvibe steelvibe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: my father's attic
Posts: 5,153
Default

The Hendrix model? Oh, itís not? Someone might want to tell that model.
__________________
"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we should play guitar." -Anon
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=