The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-18-2020, 04:48 PM

Default Fishman MX-T pickup any good?

I've purchased the Martin D-10E Road Series Electro Acoustic and it has a Fishman MX-T pickup. I'm just wondering if the pickup is any good. I'm looking for quality that projects the guitar's true sound and also isn't too quiet.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:27 PM

Check out the recent Martin SC-13E threads here. Different guitar, same pick up.
But there's a lot of discussion about the MX-T.

Other than that what do you think of your D-10E?

Cheers. _Roger
Old 08-19-2020, 08:29 AM

I've played a few guitars with it. I thought the D-10E was a very nice sounding instrument. Excellent value. As far as the pickup goes, it works well from a functional standpoint. The tone/sound is subjective. Plugged into Fishman loudbox equipment it sounded surprisingly good. Plugged into a PA, it was fairly quacky, as one would expect. It would be a good candidate for the Fishman Aura, ToneDexter, or similar IR solution.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:23 PM

Given that the pickup is used in a number of guitars of different sizes and woods, it may sound different in each. However, in my recently purchased Martin 000-10E, it sounds somewhat metallic and bright. I thought it might be strings so I made a change and the sound was still there. played through two different acoustic amps and it sounded much the same. I bought a used Fishman Aura Orchestra and the metallic aspect of the tone went away.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:25 PM

Given that the pickup is used in a number of guitars of different sizes and woods, it may sound different in each. However, in my recently purchased Martin 000-10E, it sounds somewhat metallic and bright. I thought it might be strings so I made a change and the sound was still there. Played through two different acoustic amps and it sounded much the same. I bought a used Fishman Aura Orchestra and the metallic aspect of the tone went away. While much improved, it still does not sound as good as a 25 year old Ovation FET-3 preamp, and that is hard to understand.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:48 AM

Default i COME FROM THE "HOT-DOT" ERA...

Considering the limited options available to me from the 1970's-1990's, I'm blown away by the Fishman MX-T system in my 2021 Martin! Sure, it's not that impressive straight out of my guitar into a standard PA, but when I run it through my HELIX first (utilizing high quality IRs) I can make it sound like literally ANY Brand/Style of acoustic I've ever played! I'm VERY IMPRESSED with this pickup system! :-)
Old 10-05-2022, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopicker View Post
in my recently purchased Martin 000-10E, it sounds somewhat metallic and bright.... I bought a used Fishman Aura Orchestra and the metallic aspect of the tone went away.
Similar experience here.

I have this same guitar with the built in Sonitone (same as MX-T but without the tuner). Using my Helix with an IR makes HUGE improvement.

And when recording in my DAW I use multiple instances of my IR plugin to create an actual physical space that the guitar track sits in, to simulate a microphone recording.
Minerva 0 12 fret
Edwinson Falcon 0 cutaway, sapele/spruce
Edwinson Zephyr 00 cutaway, koa/spruce
Taylor 612-C Maple Grand Concert (1997)
Taylor 612-CE Maple Grand Concert (1999)
Old 10-05-2022, 01:59 PM

horrible.....quacky, brittle, overly bright....just change it and and don't look back

Don't be fooled by the rebranded name of "MXT". Look inside and you'll see it's just a cheap old Sonitone pickup with an added tuner in the soundhole. Probably the cheapest and worst piezo pickup on the planet. The tuner isn't even good...it takes too long to react and any decent clip on will be better.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:33 PM

It certainly isn't the greatest pickup. However, I had one that I took out because it sounded awful. What I did do, was put it into a 12 string and it sounds fantastic.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooky View Post
It certainly isn't the greatest pickup. However, I had one that I took out because it sounded awful. What I did do, was put it into a 12 string and it sounds fantastic.
hard to believe that anything sounds fantastic with that Sonitone....but good for you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification