The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2019, 07:28 AM

Default NBBGD (B for baritone and budget)

So I decided to dip my toe in the baritone waters, inspired by several fingerstyle players I like that have recorded pieces with them. As this is very much a tryout purchase I went for entry level guitar and secondhand. By entry level I mean a few hundred quid/bucks (currencies pretty similar these days) new, and there are about four models that I know of in that bracket.

So here she is, an Eko Evo, got it off Ebay for 150

It was this or an Alvarez ABT60 really, similar price new and both have a 45mm nut which was a key feature for me. The Alarez is easier to get hold of and has a great reputation, but there were a few things about the Eko that intrigued me, not least its roughly OM vs jumbo body. I also thought from Youtube clips (dubious judgement I know) that the Eko sounded a little clearer and more tightly focused, perhaps because of that body difference. I betted (correctly) that I could get the Eko cheaper as they are not as well known as the ABT60s (plus Eko will be a familiar name to many for their not-very-great guitars in the 70s, but this is baritone is quite an interesting modern design, by an Italian guitarist I am not familiar with).

Here is a nice quick overview of the Ek baritone by the designer:

Full spec: https://www.ekoguitars.it/en/acousti...one-eq-natural

First impressions are that this is more than adequate to explore baritone tunings/repertoire and actually probably a steal for the money. The jack socket's in the wrong place and the pickup is a Fishman UST but hey you can't have everything No immediate plans to gig anyhow.

I have a set of boutique Newtone hand wound strings on order (strangely, the cheapest baritone strings in the UK) to start the process of which gauge and tuning I'll settle with...

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 09-19-2019, 07:50 AM

Looks like a wonderful instrument. Great find!

Enjoy it in good health.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:26 AM

Cheers bar-bro
For 150 is real steal! I have mine for full price (450)
Definitely is not the best instrument, but I like concept (small body) especially for live (less feedback) and Newtone baritone strings too

my sound: https://soundcloud.com/hyenik/schiffe-boden-tiefe
Old 09-19-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyenik View Post
Cheers bar-bro
For 150 is real steal! I have mine for full price (450)
Definitely is not the best instrument, but I like concept (small body) especially for live (less feedback) and Newtone baritone strings too

my sound: https://soundcloud.com/hyenik/schiffe-boden-tiefe
Hey cool you have one too :-) Nice composition, you are getting a great sound from the guitar.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 09-19-2019, 03:18 PM

Congratulations. Baritone guitars are great fun, and I find mine extremely useful.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-19-2019, 07:25 PM

Love your audio recording. The note separation is very good for a baritone. Not at all muddy.
Nice score!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion