The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 09:09 PM

Default Very pleased with V-Class Taylor, especially. . .

. . . the 317e and the 414CE-R that I tested these days, especially the 414. Since I already have one, X-Braced with Ovangkol, I wanted to A-B it with the 414 with Rosewood and V-Class bracing. Quite different tones. The Rosewood one was a delight to play. Better than my 414? Hard to tell, but the ring of the 414-R is hard to duplicate with mine. On the other hand, I love punchy tones, and mine is quite punchier. But still, that 414-R will be mine soon, haha!
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 09-22-2019, 10:16 PM

Nice you’re going with a rosewood 414, you will enjoy it I’m sure. I’m also curious why your current x brace 414 is ‘punchier’ in delivery/ projection. Perhaps due to it having been played in? I had a chance to try a new 814ce v class recently and my impression was that with a brief play-in time it would develop tone and volume, but it was already from the start, concentrated, rich with nicely defined bass.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:09 AM

The 517 and 717 have quickly become my favorite two guitar models I've played. I'm actually starting to prefer the 517 for standard tuning, as it is just so warm and punchy. The 717's low end is really filling out and lends itself to DADGAD so well.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
. . . the 317e and the 414CE-R that I tested these days, especially the 414. Since I already have one, X-Braced with Ovangkol, I wanted to A-B it with the 414 with Rosewood and V-Class bracing. Quite different tones. The Rosewood one was a delight to play. Better than my 414? Hard to tell, but the ring of the 414-R is hard to duplicate with mine. On the other hand, I love punchy tones, and mine is quite punchier. But still, that 414-R will be mine soon, haha!

You picked two models that actually benefitted from the V bracing. While I am a fan of the X braced 800 models I am disappointed in that series with the V bracing. I had an opportunity to play my 814ceDLX-x next to the same model with v-bracing. I had actually brought my guitar in to A/B with an older 910 I was considering purchasing (and did actually buy). The owner was with me, and after I had played my X braced 814 I picked up the v braced model... and could see him visibly wince at the v-brace 814. There was that much difference.

Don't get me wrong... Some models really sing with the V-bracing, but I think from a sound perspective Taylor made an error in doing an overhaul on the entire line. IMO they should have implemented it selectively as they did torrefied tops. But their motivation was sales and production costs over sound and probably a good BUSINESS decision overall. I think their GP line is going to help everything balance out as so far all the ones I've played sound very good.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-23-2019, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

I Love My 717e!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion