The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 05:14 PM

Default Taylor 210CE Quality Change?

So I've owned a Taylor 210CE for almost three years, and I've noticed that the sound has changed somewhat, or at least I think it has. Is that normal? I've changed the string a couple of times. First, to the phosphor bronze light elixirs that Taylor has started using on the guitar, but recently back to the 80/20 bronze light elixirs I think the guitar had when I bought it.

My only idea for why the guitar might not sound as good would be that I keep it out in my apartment all the time where the temperature is constantly fluctuating.

To hear how my guitar sounds now, I have a bunch of videos on YouTube: http://youtube.com/SmileyMoTutorials.

Maybe I'm just imagining the difference in sound? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-24-2015, 05:36 PM

I would start with a fresh set of strings.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 11-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

If you are bouncing around back and forth between different strings, you will not be able to narrow down tonal changes and figure out if something is changing.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-24-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshei24 View Post
So I've owned a Taylor 210CE for almost three years, and I've noticed that the sound has changed somewhat, or at least I think it has. Is that normal? I've changed the string a couple of times. First, to the phosphor bronze light elixirs that Taylor has started using on the guitar, but recently back to the 80/20 bronze light elixirs I think the guitar had when I bought it.

My only idea for why the guitar might not sound as good would be that I keep it out in my apartment all the time where the temperature is constantly fluctuating.

To hear how my guitar sounds now, I have a bunch of videos on YouTube: http://youtube.com/SmileyMoTutorials.

Maybe I'm just imagining the difference in sound? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
That's a tricky one, without knowing how it sounded before. Maybe you're just promoting your YouTube channel ... ?

Sounds fine! Welcome to the forum.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
...Maybe you're just promoting your YouTube channel ... ?
Too funny, Jon.

OP, as the guitar ages, tone should get better, not worse, but our tastes can certainly change.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:44 PM

Hmmmm- I listened to a couple of recent songs and the sounded about the same, I backed up about 10 monthes and noticed a better sounding guitar. Is that when you were using PBs? Maybe you should experiment with some new strings, your guitar should be sounding better not worse, Most of the time I use Elixir Polywebs on my Alvarez, they came on them so I have stuck with them. I would also suggest Martin SPs 80/20 bronze, Adamas PBs,(these are good). One other suggestion, have you ever thought of having your guitar tech put a bone saddle on your guitar? Nice upgrade, not too expensive. Keep playing, Keep teaching!!

Snark Tuner
Old 11-24-2015, 06:47 PM

What would a saddle do?

And I was also listening to the older ones and I'm wondering if it's the guitar the makes those sound better or just the difference in camera I'm using now compared to then. I wish I knew.

And definitely not trying to promote my channel. It's just the only place with samples of my guitar sound.

Also any advice on best strumming picks for full tone?
Old 11-24-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guit3090 View Post
Hmmmm- I listened to a couple of recent songs and the sounded about the same, I backed up about 10 monthes and noticed a better sounding guitar. Is that when you were using PBs? Maybe you should experiment with some new strings, your guitar should be sounding better not worse, Most of the time I use Elixir Polywebs on my Alvarez, they came on them so I have stuck with them. I would also suggest Martin SPs 80/20 bronze, Adamas PBs,(these are good). One other suggestion, have you ever thought of having your guitar tech put a bone saddle on your guitar? Nice upgrade, not too expensive. Keep playing, Keep teaching!!
I had been using PB until a couple of weeks ago when I changed back.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
That's a tricky one, without knowing how it sounded before. Maybe you're just promoting your YouTube channel ... ?

Sounds fine! Welcome to the forum.
Thanks!

And lol, no, no, not trying to promote my channel. I have other means of doing that. Just the only place online I have videos with my guitar sounds.

Is it possible that I'm not stringing my guitar to maximum quality? I think the sound quality may have dropped after I restringed it for the first time.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeirnes View Post
I would start with a fresh set of strings.
Changed them two weeks ago.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:

I have an idea. Why don't I record the older stuff again now with the older camera and upload it. See if it sounds the same.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:

Actually, did my cover of Angel sound different than the rest of the videos? Because I recorded that on my iPhone.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Too funny, Jon.

OP, as the guitar ages, tone should get better, not worse, but our tastes can certainly change.
Actually, not too funny. The OP has been very engaged for someone accused of promoting his YouTube channel.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:01 PM

I guess I'll ask the obvious question no one else seems to be asking. In what way would you say the guitar sounds worse than it used to? I know you have videos, but I don't trust them to be an accurate representation to me of what you're hearing with the guitar in your hands.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceMusik View Post
I guess I'll ask the obvious question no one else seems to be asking. In what way would you say the guitar sounds worse than it used to? I know you have videos, but I don't trust them to be an accurate representation to me of what you're hearing with the guitar in your hands.

I just feel like the sound is not as full and deep as it was when I bought it. But that might just me my getting use to it. I had a beginner Yamaha before buying the Taylor, so it might have just been the fact that I never really played a solid guitar before.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, decline in sound quality, taylor, tone