The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2024, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Touchstone or OM21

Contemplating a purchase of a moderately priced OM. I'm comparing a Martin 2024 OM-21 Standard with a Bourgeois Touchstone OM Vintage. I know I'd likely take a hit on resale with the Touchstone, but putting the aside for the discussion, who's got thoughts on which is the better choice? I've been performing with slope shoulder dreads for the past 4-5 years and either they're growing or I'm shrinking. They're feeling like a little much. Thus my pivot toward OM. Thoughts?

Santa Cruz H13
Huss & Dalton 00 Custom
Santa Cruz OM Grand
Boucher SG21G
Collings CJ35
Bourgeois Slope D Custom
Furch D22TSR
Gibson J45 Deluxe
Furch OM MM
Larrivee OM-02
Paul Beard Resonator
Nashville Tele
Slick SL-55
Sire Larry Carlton S7
Slick SL-60
Harmony Comet
PRS SE Silver Sky
Custom S Type
Thinline Tele
AXL USA Artist
AXL USA Bulldog

Old 04-03-2024, 04:26 PM

Be different. Go touchstone!
Old 04-03-2024, 04:28 PM

You wont go wrong with either choice.
It will be hard to find a Touchstone to play first though.
Old 04-03-2024, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

According to your sig there’s a few OMs already in your herd. But of the two you mentioned there would be no debate for me. OM-21.
Old 04-03-2024, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

I have to go Martin. Nitro finish instead of TrueTone poly. And regarding gigging with that shape, I have done about 7 gigs so far with my Martin 000-Cherry Hill. What a comfort difference over my dread.

As an aside, I (marginally) prefer the tone of the OM28 I test drove over my Cherry Hill. The short scale ease, and the (hopefully less troublesome) wood binding ultimately tipped the scale for me towards the Cherry Hill.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:56 PM

Lightbulb

I've seen several Martin's recently, various models with terrible QC issues. D18 and 00 18, and 000 15m with finishes that are covered in spec looking matte dots. Brand new guitars. No idea what it is but I got a used d18 with that issue and saw the same thing on new guitars in the local store. Also new models with scary low saddles and in need of setups... I'd never order a new martin online.

Touchstones are made by eastman apary from the tops right? I'd compare one to a lower end eastman model like the E2 OM. I wonder if there's really much difference sonically. I just got an E2 OM and I really like it. If you're looking for a fairly bright, resonant shimmery sound then it's worth looking into.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:04 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by movehome View Post
If you're looking for a fairly bright, resonant shimmery sound then it's worth looking into.
This is how I'd describe the tone of the OM Vintage/TS I previously owned. It was also the reason I parted with it (which I found difficult because of the stigma of being mostly assembled by Eastman attached to it - the tops are assembled and voiced in Lewiston and then shipped to Eastman).

Between the two I'd go with the Martin OM-21, purely for tonal reasons. Otherwise, the TS is a perfectly fine instrument.
Old 04-04-2024, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelD23 View Post
Contemplating a purchase of a moderately priced OM. I'm comparing a Martin 2024 OM-21 Standard with a Bourgeois Touchstone OM Vintage. I know I'd likely take a hit on resale with the Touchstone, but putting the aside for the discussion, who's got thoughts on which is the better choice? I've been performing with slope shoulder dreads for the past 4-5 years and either they're growing or I'm shrinking. They're feeling like a little much. Thus my pivot toward OM. Thoughts?
The”better choice” is relative. Going by the guitars in your signature, I suspect that you would like the tone of the Touchstone. When you bought your Collings, Santa Cruz and Boucher guitars, did you compare them with their Martin counterparts (since they are based on Martin designs)? Having tried several Touchstone guitars in stores, I would say the better question for you might be whether to get a Touchstone or a used Bourgeois. Sure, it costs a little more, but it’s built better, sounds better, and has already taken a valuation hit, so if you go to sell it you will likely recoup most if not all of what you put into it, eventually.

Personally, I haven’t been drawn to any of the Touchstones that I’ve played, but my preference in Martin and Martin-esque guitars leans towards guitars that are built by builders who try to capture the vintage tone (Pre-War Guitars Co., Preston Thompson, some Atkin models, more affordable solo luthiers such as Rufus Thames, etc.), as opposed to guitars built by builders who try to reinvent or put a modern spin on the Martin sound.

Faced with the exact choice of the Martin OM-21 and the Bourgeois Touchstone OM Vintage, having played both, I would choose the Martin. For me, it’s the “better choice,” but for the reasons I described above, the “better choice” for you might be the Touchstone (or a used Bourgeois).
Old 04-04-2024, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

I would go with the American made guitar over Chinese. But I would go somewhere that has a few in stock and pick the best of the litter.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:08 PM

I love the OM21, I would go for that all day, but I am biased.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 04-04-2024, 09:48 PM

The 2 guitars that are in my signature will never be sold. I have owned a Martin D-35, a 000-18, a MD-D18, a MMV, and a D-15m. I have sold everyone of them. I have no regrets. In fact the only regret I have is buying the Martin Hype. They are overpriced and overrated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion