The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-22-2018, 09:01 AM
In between waves

Default Reverb pedal recommendations

Starting to play electric a lot more. I have a Telecaster that I play through a Fender Silver Face Champ. I want to add reverb. Any recommendations on a solid reverb pedal that won’t break the bank. I play mostly blues and classic rock.
G&L S-500
Old 01-22-2018, 09:10 AM

I would "like" to recommend the Strymon Big Sky, but it's too crazy. I've played with it for weeks now and can barely make heads or tails of how to configure it and neither the online manual or the any of the YouTube videos has helped.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling View Post
Starting to play electric a lot more. I have a Telecaster that I play through a Fender Silver Face Champ. I want to add reverb. Any recommendations on a solid reverb pedal that won’t break the bank. I play mostly blues and classic rock.
Kinda depends on who's bank you are breaking there are reverb pedals from $50 to $500 or over
How about a budget range in $$ like less than $100 or less than $150 or less than $200 etc. ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-22-2018, 12:47 PM

Can't go wrong with the TC Electronics Hall of Fame. Haven't tried the HOF 2, but check it out if you want shimmer - $150 new.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:50 PM

I've heard only good things about the Hall of Fame.

That being said, I don't have one, because I've always had amps with reverb.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:56 PM
In between waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Kinda depends on who's bank you are breaking there are reverb pedals from $50 to $500 or over
How about a budget range in $$ like less than $100 or less than $150 or less than $200 etc. ?
Thanks for the reply! I would like to stay south of $150 the further south the better. I’m not opposed to used. I was thinking the TC Electronics Hall of Fame, Digitech Polara or a Holy Grail.
G&L S-500
Old 01-22-2018, 12:59 PM

These usually get great reviews by people that want a simple reverb pedal...

https://reverb.com/p/neunaber-mono-wet-reverb
Old 01-22-2018, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I would "like" to recommend the Strymon Big Sky, but it's too crazy. I've played with it for weeks now and can barely make heads or tails of how to configure it and neither the online manual or the any of the YouTube videos has helped.
Well send it to me and I can figure it out for in no time and send it back with a cheat sheet , maybe even as quick as a year

I just looked it up and man what a potential powerhouse of a reverb

Seriously if your not familiar with the nomenclature you can do a lot by ear. If you can get a handle on setting thing dryer and how to increase

"Spring" for the classic 60's guitar amp Spring reverb effect.

"Plate" is also more of a classic sound

Room Hall Shimmer etc is going to be a bit more modern and ambient

If it were me For starters I would try the Spring with the predelay set to from 9:00 to 12;00
the decay and mix about the same 9:00 to 12:00

Forget the param knobs for now and start with the Mod down

See how you like that then just slowly change any of settings one at a time to see what you can hear.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 01-22-2018, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling View Post
Thanks for the reply! I would like to stay south of $150 the further south the better. I’m not opposed to used. I was thinking the TC Electronics Hall of Fame, Digitech Polara or a Holy Grail.
I have reverb built in on all my amps so I have not used any of those and can't relate directly.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 01-22-2018, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

• Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Neo - About $130, performs beautifully.
  • EarthQuaker Devices Dispatch Master V2 - At $200 is bordering on "breaking the bank' territory, but will blow any other reverb pedal (and about all on-board reverbs) clean out of the water. Also has a wonderful delay. EQD pretty much rules.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 01-22-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Well send it to me and I can figure it out for in no time and send it back with a cheat sheet , maybe even as quick as a year

I just looked it up and man what a potential powerhouse of a reverb

Seriously if your not familiar with the nomenclature you can do a lot by ear. If you can get a handle on setting thing dryer and how to increase

"Spring" for the classic 60's guitar amp Spring reverb effect.

"Plate" is also more of a classic sound

Room Hall Shimmer etc is going to be a bit more modern and ambient

If it were me For starters I would try the Spring with the predelay set to from 9:00 to 12;00
the decay and mix about the same 9:00 to 12:00

Forget the param knobs for now and start with the Mod down

See how you like that then just slowly change any of settings one at a time to see what you can hear.
I may indeed end up selling it. I've got a kind of mental block.

For instance, in any given state, say I've just powered up the unit, there doesn't appear to be a way to select a new "Type" of reverb. When I do so, the LED's from the circle of Types are lit one by one but no change of sound occurs. The only way I've so far been able to change the reverbs is to select one of the 100 "pre-created" items using the Value knob. Admittedly, the reverbs are super cool!

So in your example, the only way I can get a Spring reverb is to go through the 100 pre-stored reverbs in the hope of finding one made of a Spring. Then I can alter it.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I may indeed end up selling it. I've got a kind of mental block.

For instance, in any given state, say I've just powered up the unit, there doesn't appear to be a way to select a new "Type" of reverb. When I do so, the LED's from the circle of Types are lit one by one but no change of sound occurs. The only way I've so far been able to change the reverbs is to select one of the 100 "pre-created" items using the Value knob. Admittedly, the reverbs are super cool!
Hummm? so no discernable change from say Spring to Shimmer? Are the adjustments all set to 12:00 ? I would assume the presets are altering the adjustment settings digitally in the DSP even if not showing on the physical knobs themselves

Also I agree after a brief look the manual seems to leave a lot to be desired. For example I could not find out how you activate "true bypass" I would assume by one of the foot switches . Which for me is best way to discern subtle changes .

For the OP and or anybody thinking super simple with a nice sound and some tone variations for $130. This one that apparently Keeley Pedals is making exclusively for Sweetwater looks pretty interesting ...... The demo video is worth watching

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OmniReverb

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 01-22-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Hummm? so no discernable change from say Spring to Shimmer? Are the adjustments all set to 12:00 ? I would assume the presets are altering the adjustment settings digitally in the DSP even if not showing on the physical knobs themselves

Also I agree after a brief look the manual seems to leave a lot to be desired. For example I could not find out how you activate "true bypass" I would assume by one of the foot switches . Which for me is best way to discern subtle changes .

For the OP and or anybody thinking super simple with a nice sound and some variations . This one that apparently Keeley Pedals is making exclusively for Sweetwater looks pretty interesting for $130 the demo video is interesting

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OmniReverb
I think what I need to do is get really good and high, cause I'm now fairly certain that the programmers were utterly altered. But no, the Type knob appears to do absolutely nothing but change the LEDs unless I press it in (doing so alters its function altogether).

Bypass is activated by pressing the active (orange or green) one of three foot switches. When the light goes out it's bypassed.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think what I need to do is get really good and high, cause I'm now fairly certain that the programmers were utterly altered. But no, the Type knob appears to do absolutely nothing but change the LEDs unless I press it in (doing so alters its function altogether).

Bypass is activated by pressing the active (orange or green) one of three foot switches. When the light goes out it's bypassed.
Ah Well (just guessing )Maybe you have to start setting parameters to get the various types to kick in

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 01-22-2018, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

I was thinking the same thing the other day, the built-in digital reverb on my Marshall leaves a great deal to be desired ("digital" sounding, and clips harshly when I combine it with another digital pedal, especially in the effects loop) and I miss the simple old 3-spring reverb tank my ancient Gibson amp had. Is there a totally analog spring reverb (or something similar, but not digital) available as a pedal?
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars