The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-05-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
The first record I recorded with my band I used a Soldano Super Lead. It was a great amp but I remember wishing that I just used my Twin. The very best sounding amp I ever remember plugging into was a friends Carr. I think it was a 20 watt amp and it really just was that eye opening good in tone.
I've read great things about the Soldano. Is the Super Lead the SLO?
Old 12-05-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Cool. Who made it?
Zeurcheramps.com I've got the 50 watt combo with 2 6L6 power tubes. We also installed a switch to lower the plate voltage to the power tubes so that amp has less headroom for smaller rooms.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-25-2018 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyclone View Post
Zeurcheramps.com I've got the 50 watt combo with 2 6L6 power tubes. We also installed a switch to lower the plate voltage to the power tubes so that amp has less headroom for smaller rooms.
I take it that it has more of a Fenderish flavour as opposed to Marshall? Is it a great clean, sparkly amp?

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-25-2018 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:15 AM

I have a Tungsten Cortez (5e3), an older Vintage Sound vs112 (Princeton Reverb), and an Allen Encore (based on a Vibrolux Reverb). I doubt I'll ever let any of these go. Each is a magical machine!
Old 12-08-2017, 10:57 AM

I had a Boogie around 1980. Sold it and got two Tweed Deluxe from the 50s. Sold those to pay bills. Bought a Seymour Duncan Convertible. Sold it. Found another beat up Tweed Deluxe. Bought a Victoria Tweed Deluxe as back up.

I use the two Tweed Deluxe in tandem. Zen Drive for some grit at lower volumes since these amps are LOUD!
Old 12-08-2017, 11:20 AM

I've been fortunate enough to have owned and played a number of boutique amps: Friedman, Suhr, Vintage Sound, Swart, Fuchs, Tone King, and Carr. I've also owned or played numerous amps from Fender, Vox, Marshall, and Mesa Boogie.

In general, the boutique amps do indeed have a little something extra, a little more tonal complexity. That being said, I could also be happy with a stock Fender Princeton Reissue. You just have to decide how much that tonal complexity is worth to you.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I watched Phillip McKnight (YouTube channel) demo the BE-OD vs the Dirty Shirley. Both seem like great pedals. $200 each, although MF had it $40 off a few days ago.

What amp are you using the BE-OD with?
Carr Skylark, Quilter mini 101, Mesa Blue Angel combo..........
Old 12-08-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I've read great things about the Soldano. Is the Super Lead the SLO?
Yes it was. I only used the overdrive on one song and we isolated the amp to crank it real good. The rest of the time I used my pedals which I believe at the time was a modded DS-1 and a Big Muff. I really didn't use the amp much so I never really got to know it well.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:04 PM

The nicest amps I've owned have been a couple Two Rocks, and several Dr Zs. I love boutique amps, but can't justify them any longer. I don't gig and playing electric isn't high on my priority list these days.

They are worth the money if you utilize them how they are meant to be used, which is cranked lol.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarlifestyle View Post
I've been fortunate enough to have owned and played a number of boutique amps: Friedman, Suhr, Vintage Sound, Swart, Fuchs, Tone King, and Carr. I've also owned or played numerous amps from Fender, Vox, Marshall, and Mesa Boogie.

In general, the boutique amps do indeed have a little something extra, a little more tonal complexity. That being said, I could also be happy with a stock Fender Princeton Reissue. You just have to decide how much that tonal complexity is worth to you.
Wow, that's some amazing amps to have owned and played. You're right about them providing a little something extra and whether someone would want to pay for that little extra. I'm definitely more in the Marshall world than Fender.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:22 PM

I just played my first Friedman at Chicago Music Exchange. It's the Runt 50 w head through some boutique 1x12 cab. I used a 2018 Gibson SG Standard (I have a 2017 so I'm familiar with it).

What an amazing amp! I kept the gain on 7 and the amp just flat out rocked. Squeals were so easy through it. Rolling the volume back cleaned up the guitar.

I wish they had the Runt 20 w head since that is more of what I'd be looking for size and price wise.

Anyone ever play a Friedman before?
Old 02-24-2018, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Just read something the other day about Hiwatt being under new ownership and some new stuff coming out Also apparently in the US it will be sold under the name Maxwatt

http://www.maxwatt.com/wordpress/

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 02-24-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Anyone ever play any boutique electric guitar amps? Something like Friedman, Suhr, Soldano, etc? I never have but I'd be up for the experience.
I've got a Friedman DS40, RedPlate Phoenix and a Splawn Street Rod and owned a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R. For me the Friedman is probably going to be my permanent amp due to its responsiveness to guitar volume level and the chimy clean sounds you can get at the same time as being able to roll up the volume and go to extremely fat rock tones, without ever touching the amp.

It's turning out to be far less Marshall-ish than expected but I am really liking this amp. All the other amps I have, including my Marshalls and a Budda SD18 are really great amps, but there are such a wide range of preferences out there that no one amp can be for everyone.

I tried a couple of other Friedmans including the Smallbox, PT 20 and Runt 20 and the Smallbox made it hard for me to decide, but the extra low mid thickness of the DS40 really won me over.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-24-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
I've got a Friedman DS40, RedPlate Phoenix and a Splawn Street Rod and owned a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R. For me the Friedman is probably going to be my permanent amp due to its responsiveness to guitar volume level and the chimy clean sounds you can get at the same time as being able to roll up the volume and go to extremely fat rock tones, without ever touching the amp.

It's turning out to be far less Marshall-ish than expected but I am really liking this amp. All the other amps I have, including my Marshalls and a Budda SD18 are really great amps, but there are such a wide range of preferences out there that no one amp can be for everyone.

I tried a couple of other Friedmans including the Smallbox, PT 20 and Runt 20 and the Smallbox made it hard for me to decide, but the extra low mid thickness of the DS40 really won me over.
You've got some great amps. Everything I read mentioned that the DS, Smallbox, and PT are better than the Runt amps but also much more costly. The Runt 20 at $1300 US ($1700 CAD) is probably more than I'll spend. Hoping I'll have a chance to A/B it against the new Marshall DSL.

What guitar(s) are you playing through the Friedman? How about the cab?
Old 02-24-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
You've got some great amps. Everything I read mentioned that the DS, Smallbox, and PT are better than the Runt amps but also much more costly. The Runt 20 at $1300 US ($1700 CAD) is probably more than I'll spend. Hoping I'll have a chance to A/B it against the new Marshall DSL.

What guitar(s) are you playing through the Friedman? How about the cab?
I took my older DSL (401) to a jam last week and I'm still liking it, but not like the DS40 I just got by scanning the internet looking for good prices, which I found and led to this purchase. Even though the DS40 and Smallbox are bordering on being $3,000 amps there are $2,400 range offerings on both if you look at Reverb, where I picked mine up.

The truth is, I don't want a whole bunch of guitar amps, but I kept buying hoping to find a single amp capable of making me get rid of the rest. The Marshalls and Splawn came closest to getting there, but there really is some special magic in the two Friedmans I liked so far. There is some really special stuff going on with the RedPlate too, but I think I'd probably be needing more like a Magica than the 6v6 Phoenix I have right now.

As for guitars, I'm just getting ready to sell off my PRS Cu22 and am now playing an Ibanez S540 as my main guitar, although I might be playing my JEM if I hadn't left it at a friends house in Seattle.

The speakers I'm using for the DS40 is just the internal creamback Celestion it came with but to hear it, you'd think I was actually playing through a cab and not an open back combo. Incredible bottom end and I've actually got it set to 4 on the bass.

I'd say come over and try them out against each other but with your location, you'd best find some other members closer by.

Let us know what you think as you play through other amps you're interested in. It's always great to live vicariously through the adventures of others too.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars