The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-05-2020, 06:26 AM

Question EVO Frets in Silver?

Hi Everyone,

With all the talk of McPhersons with EVO Gold package...was wondering if EVO wire comes in silver? I am not a big fan of gold package on guitars and was wondering if the alloy used requires this color or is more a marketing/packaging choice by manufacturing to show "value" and a difference.

Did some googling and only found gold..... Just as happy with my silver stainless steel on my Emerald but just curious on EVO option for a Touring/Sable.

Anyone have some insights???
Old 05-05-2020, 06:40 AM

I'm a huge fan of using EVO and in reality it isn't the same coloration as true gold plating. It's more like a tarnished brass color.

After I started using it I no longer noticed the slight "gold" coloration. I think it actually looks better than NS against dark fretboards such as ebony, rosewood, pau ferro, etc. It blends in so well that now when I pick up a instrument with NS frets they look out of place to me.

I've read this same comment from several folks who use EVO, so the slight coloration must be something that many easily get used to.

The coloration is due to the alloy content, so it's not a marketing thing. EVO was first developed for the eyeglass frame industry and someone along the way realized its robust qualities might be excellent for fret wire. The rest is history. When EVO is used for eyeglass frames most folks don't notice the slightly gold coloration; the same perception as I've noted for fret wire use.

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-05-2020 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:43 AM

If you take out the "gold" from the alloy, which I guess is copper, chances are that you end up with something close to... stainless steel.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089

Last edited by mountainmaster; 05-05-2020 at 07:02 AM. Reason: removed some nonsense
Old 05-05-2020, 07:09 AM

Well, I was wrong. I thought EVO was just a stainless steel alloy with copper added into the mix. This article put me right.

https://hazeguitars.com/blog/guitar-...s-ii-materials
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 05-05-2020, 07:20 AM

Thank you Rudy4 and mountainmaster for your information.... great blog and will take a closer look at pictures and guess if it is not shiny gold and blingy is probably the way to go... will check it out!!!

looks like you can order the sable with evo and sliver tuners... :-).

Many thanks!!
Old 05-05-2020, 08:14 AM

I kinda have it the other way, in a manner of speaking. Most strings are bronze or some variant, a coppery brown color. I like to use GHS White Bronze strings which are 52% nickel alloy, so they look dull gray. People trying my guitars have sometimes commented on the odd color of the strings. Those strings are uncoated but give me very long tone life, on par with Elixirs at half the price. They sound about three days old when new (my preference) but stay that way for weeks or months. I pulled out a wood guitar yesterday that likely hasn't been played much in a year. It sounded great and the strings still looked fine. The card inside said they were changed two years ago.

I don't have anything with EVO frets but their color would not dissuade me at all. Long service life is the main thing.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post

I don't have anything with EVO frets but their color would not dissuade me at all. Long service life is the main thing.
Good point... I just heard back from McPherson.. the EVO frets are part of the "gold package". meaning it includes evo gold frets, gold tuners & gold headstock label. It is not related to the weave.... I got it wrong.

So .. I supposed there is a common theme with the honeycomb weave & gold package. If you order the honeycomb with silver hardware you do NOT get evo frets :-(. It's to bad as I love the industrial look of honeycomb (looks more like barbwire) weave with the statin silver tuners and silver headstock.

1st world problems :-)
Old 05-05-2020, 10:33 AM

I was able to order my Touring with the normal weave, satin chrome tuners and EVO frets. Took about 3 weeks....
Old 05-05-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55tele View Post
I was able to order my Touring with the normal weave, satin chrome tuners and EVO frets. Took about 3 weeks....
Thank you! How does the color of the frets look... with silver tuners? Does the gold look ok? Just curious...
Old 05-05-2020, 12:57 PM

For those interested.... in how it looks here is a video of a guitar with EVO frets and silver tuners... really can't notice the difference... so slight

https://youtu.be/52Ao_rMegQo

Last edited by Fixedgear60; 05-05-2020 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Links to a Merrill C-18.....
Old 05-05-2020, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Good point... I just heard back from McPherson.. the EVO frets are part of the "gold package". meaning it includes evo gold frets, gold tuners & gold headstock label. It is not related to the weave.... I got it wrong.

So .. I supposed there is a common theme with the honeycomb weave & gold package. If you order the honeycomb with silver hardware you do NOT get evo frets :-(. It's to bad as I love the industrial look of honeycomb (looks more like barbwire) weave with the statin silver tuners and silver headstock.

1st world problems :-)
We learn something new every day. I never realized that the color of the headstock label was part of the gold package. I assume that means that the label is a different color on other versions of the Sable. Prior to reading this, I assumed they all looked the same.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber