The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-12-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormH3 View Post
I appreciate that. What are your thoughts as to buying the combo vs the head? My thought was if I got the head, I could pair it with a speaker of choice. I understand that the combo is more cost effective.
Get the head version! I have it and run it through just a 1x12 for some purposes, and run it through the 1X12 and a 4x8 if I really want to "move some air" and get LOUD! Plan on having replacement tubes ready when you get the amp. The stock Chinese tubes are....BAD!
Old 02-12-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
Get the head version! I have it and run it through just a 1x12 for some purposes, and run it through the 1X12 and a 4x8 if I really want to "move some air" and get LOUD! Plan on having replacement tubes ready when you get the amp. The stock Chinese tubes are....BAD!
I'm not sure I would ever need to get LOUD, but I like having the option. I do like the idea that they can be modded...have been reading up on it. I do have an electronics background although when I was in school, nixie tubes were the digital display of the day. There is just something about tube amplifiers, whether they be audio or RF.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:42 AM

Pulled the trigger on the VHT Special 6 Ultra head. Used the 4 payment same as cash plan. Should be here next week at some time. Going to see if I can pick up a small used speaker cabinet somewhere.

Will look into getting better tubes. Suggestions are welcomed.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:12 AM

For new production tubes, hard to beat JJ's. Their 6V6 tubes are pretty sweet sounding to me. I still prefer old production tubes in preamps though, especially in lower gain amps.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-13-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Pulled the trigger on the VHT Special 6 Ultra head. Used the 4 payment same as cash plan. Should be here next week at some time. Going to see if I can pick up a small used speaker cabinet somewhere.

Can't wait to hear your review. I was gunning for that one before I picked up the H&K Tubemeister 5w (no one stocks the VHT around here).
Old 02-13-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Congrats! You will not be disappointed. If you keep an eye out on E-bay you can find matching 1X12 cabs loaded with VHT's Proprietary speaker for the amp for well under $200.00. I got mine for $165? Guitar Center has them for $179 right now. They are very well built cabinets, and big enough to let the speaker "breathe". The speaker is pretty darn good.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:59 AM

JJ 6V6 is what I have in the power section and a Tung Sol 12Ax7 for the preamp. Nice thing about the amp is you can put just about any type of tube in it. VHT makes a EL84 adapter for about $20. Going to pick one of those up soon.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke View Post
JJ 6V6 is what I have in the power section and a Tung Sol 12Ax7 for the preamp. Nice thing about the amp is you can put just about any type of tube in it. VHT makes a EL84 adapter for about $20. Going to pick one of those up soon.
WHY would you want what is basically a Fender Champ circuit with EL84's? TRUELY curious.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
WHY would you want what is basically a Fender Champ circuit with EL84's? TRUELY curious.
There was another tube mentioned during my research that is suppose to have a cleaner output... I want to say it was a 5518 but would have to go back and find it again.

Have to ask, are you a graduate of University of Maryland?
Old 02-13-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
There was another tube mentioned during my research that is suppose to have a cleaner output... I want to say it was a 5518 but would have to go back and find it again.

Have to ask, are you a graduate of University of Maryland?
5881! Great tube used in a lot of Fender amps over the years. It is a member of the 6L6 family of tubes. Those three octal power tubes; 6V6, 6L6 and 5881 were Leo Fender's Go-To power tubes from the late 40's, early '50's once they became available. No, just a old-school Deadhead!
Old 02-13-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
5881! Great tube used in a lot of Fender amps over the years. No, just a old-school Deadhead!
Ahhhh ...had to ask. I was born in Baltimore.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
why would you want what is basically a fender champ circuit with el84's? Truely curious.
Just to try it out.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke View Post
Just to try it out.
Makes sense! Might sound like the Pro Jr with a 12" speaker.? Let me know....
Old 02-14-2015, 07:51 AM

Talking about fast. It's apparently on the FedEx truck to be delivered today. Just ordered this yesterday morning. (purchased through zzounds)
Old 02-14-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Talking about fast. It's apparently on the FedEx truck to be delivered today. Just ordered this yesterday morning. (purchased through zzounds)
Gonna be a FUN day...Congrats!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars