The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-17-2015, 09:20 PM

Default speaking of amps....

I've come across a good deal on an Ibanez AS 153 i don't think i can pass up. so me of today's post have been about amps I'm thinking its time to upgrade from my line 6 micro spider . Any suggestions to go with the above Ibby? Looking to keep it under $500. Would prefer tone over a gazillion presets but really would like ability to use headphones & aux/in an iPad as well. Maybe Fender champ 2x?
Old 01-17-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekisai29 View Post
...Looking to keep it under $500. Would prefer tone over a gazillion presets...
Bugera V22: 22/15W (switchable) 1x12" tube combo, mid-boost/digital 'verb that really sounds like spring, enough power for a decent-size club gig; ~$350 that sounds like twice the price (or more) out of the box - no bells and whistles, but swap in a set of good-quality tubes and IME it'll take a back seat to none for tone...
Old 01-18-2015, 08:09 AM

What kind of music do you like to play?

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 01-18-2015, 10:49 AM

Mostly 60's to early 70's Classic rock, would like to expand into the blues and some new age type as well. Off topic but how would you compare a Gretsch 5420 or 5422 hollow body against this Ibby for this kind of music? Love jazz but don't anticipate playing it too often at this point as still am very much in the learning stage.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:11 PM

The Gretsch kinda has its own tone thing going on, as I'm sure you're aware; been used for both classic rock (Stephen Stills and Neil Young with their twin White Falcons in the early days of CSNY) and jazz (George Van Eps, Jimmie Webster, Sal Salvador, Mary Osborne) over the years, but speaking as a Gretsch owner since 1964 not really their strong point. Might work well for some New Age-influenced stuff - the inherent clarity and strong upper-mids give the sound "air" without the edginess of Fender-type single coils or in-your-face punch of P-90's - but if I were you I'd keep the Ibanez and add a Gretsch to the stable somewhere down the line...
Old 01-18-2015, 01:05 PM

Your Ibanez is a really great and versatile guitar. I'd hang on to it. It will sound great with just about any kind of amp, Fender, Marshall or Vox will all work. It really depends on what sound you are looking for. I like Fender amps and I think that Gibson-esque guitars sound great through a Fender amp. I now use a Princeton Reverb Reissue which doesn't have an earphone jacks. Instead I use a Weber Mini Mass attenuator which does. Even an older Fender Champ or Vibro Champ with a pedal is going to sound great. You should be able to find a nice used amp for $500 or less. I have bought used Fender DRRI or PRRI, a Traynor YCV-20 WR for that. I bet you could find a used Egnater, Vox or Marshall amp as well.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:10 PM

thanks all. very helpful advice for a paralysis by analysis type such as myself. as for amps any modeling solid staters which might fit the bill for convenience 7 features? is it common to bring guitar with you to tr amps in stors?
Old 01-18-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekisai29 View Post
...is it common to bring a guitar with you to try amps in stores?
Highly recommended, and since you're in northern NJ you're probably not very far from the GC/Sam Ash branches in the Routes 4 & 17 area - shouldn't be too hard to find something you like (at a price you can afford) between the two. FWIW it'll also give you the opportunity to audition the Gretsch hollows you mentioned (they're fairly common), as well as some higher-end tube amps you can use to "tune your ear" before you buy...
Old 01-18-2015, 06:03 PM

I think the fellas in the GCs & SAs are tired of seeing me at this point but another visit or two seem in order.lol Have a good evening everyone.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:11 PM

Default Fender Mustang

I honestly am not a huge fan of Fender products in general, but I tried out a Fender Mustang amp and was pleasantly surprised in the tones I could achieve and the versatility, and effects that were built into it.

I wouldn't usually recommend a Fender product of any sort but this particular item is a gem with high value. If you want to go with tube amps for better tone, you'll have to up your budget... imho
Old 01-18-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Meachem View Post
...If you want to go with tube amps for better tone, you'll have to up your budget...
Not so - there are a number of tube combos below $500 from many of the major makers, ranging from 1W practice/recording amps, through the expected crop of 1x12" 15-watters, to Bugera's dual-6L6-powered V55 houserocker. I've got a V22 that's my go-to play-out amp; with a full set of NOS Soviet-era mil-spec tubes and an Eminence Swamp Thang speaker it still came in just over the $500 mark, it'll handle any house up to around 700 people with no problem, and sounds like a vintage Ampeg doing it. Modeling rigs are great if you're in a Top 40 bar band or need "that sound" in a hurry in a recording situation - a couple years ago I worked with a studio guy who swore by his first-generation Line 6 rack rig - but quite frankly I've yet to see one in the backline of any act above the local level, and IMO that speaks volumes...
Old 01-19-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Not so - there are a number of tube combos below $500 from many of the major makers, ranging from 1W practice/recording amps, through the expected crop of 1x12" 15-watters, to Bugera's dual-6L6-powered V55 houserocker. I've got a V22 that's my go-to play-out amp.
Agreed! I spent some time with a used Bugera V22 a few weeks ago and was really impressed. Couldn't come up with a good excuse for why I needed another amp, but I still think about it. 😍
Old 01-19-2015, 10:17 AM

definitely will check out the v22.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Roland GA-112. Here's Premier Guitar's review.

Note that their rating for "value" is based on the street release price of $999. They are now selling for $500.

This amp absolutely crushes everything else in your price range.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 01-19-2015, 04:34 PM

The Fender Mustang 3 is getting rave reviews all over. It has a sound as close to tube as you can get. Many don't like the presets, but they sound pretty good to me. You have 100, and can create many others. Plus it has a footswitch with 4 switches to save your favorite sounds. Most players only use about 5 sounds max.

Give it a listen before you decide. Its about $350 new.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/21081/G..._Amplifier.htm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars