The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-27-2011, 06:48 AM

The necks on the Epi LPs I've tried just didn't feel "pro" to me. Wait for a used Studio to come along and go for it. It's all Les Paul.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:29 AM

This is a topic near and dear to me because I've recently upgraded an Epi LP with great success. Simply put, I love it as much as any of my Gibson's, even the Custom Shop's. But here's the catch - cost! Upgrading the Epi was cost effective for me because I only paid $200 for it and already had a pair of Gibson pickups and got a set of deluxe tuners for only $40. Add about $120 in labor and parts to gut and replace the wiring and pots and I had $360 into it. So it was worth it to me and I got a sweet gutar out of it.

However, if you buy a used Epi for around $300 then add about $200 for pickups, $75 for tuners, and $125 to gut and replace the electronics, you're into it for around $700 and you can buy a used, faded Gibson LP studio and probably get it with a case for around $650 - $700. In this case, unles the Epi was just drop dead gorgeous and played exacly as you like, I'd buy buy the Gibson. When you factor resale into the equation the hands down winner is the Gibson. Try as you might, you won't find anyone willing to pay you anywhere near what you put into the Epi...and Epi is always gonna be an Epi.

As far as a PRS goes, maybe it's just me but I can't bond with em' and I don't like how the pickups sound. PRS are very fine guitars but I'd take a Gibson LP over a PRS any day of the week.

Here are some pics of the Epi I upgraded:

Old 03-27-2011, 03:21 PM

A Gibson LP is a performing players guitar. For a hobbyist, the Epiphone. No need to upgrade really as they sound fine. Unless you play it alot, it will last and not wear out. If you intend to play frequently, I woud go for the LP Studio. My buddy plays in church and is on the cheap side, but I talked him into the Studio and he hasn't regretted it. Since he does play it often. Resale is much better too. You will never,ever get even close to what you pay for a new Epiphone back, so buy a used one and save a lot more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars