The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-26-2011, 02:23 AM

Question Epiphone LP vs. Gibson LP Studio

What would You choose?

The First: Save bucks for hi-end hardware and catch and upgrade top-seried Epi LP?
The second: Just buy Gibson Studio and relax playing?

And... Why?
Old 03-26-2011, 03:01 AM
Charter Member

A PRS SE Singlecut http://www.prsguitars.com/sesinglecut/ or the upcoming PRS SE 245 http://www.prsguitars.com/se245/...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 AM

Between the two you mentioned, I'd probably go with the Epiphone. The epis are pretty darn good for the money, and many people have upgraded the electrics with good results. Seems like a safe bet if you're not concerned about the name on the headstock.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:42 AM

I've played some nice Epis, but have never owned one. I did have an LP Studio which was a great guitar, and I've played several others that were also very nice, so if I were in the market I'd probably go for the LP; however, I do own a Yamaha AES620 (lent out at the moment) which is a very respectable LP-style guitar. If you happen to run across one, give it a try.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:36 AM

Gibson LP Studio.

There are some great ones out there which sound as good as any Standards I have heard.

+ its a Gibson
Old 03-26-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
A PRS SE Singlecut http://www.prsguitars.com/sesinglecut/ or the upcoming PRS SE 245 http://www.prsguitars.com/se245/...

I had a 2002 LP standard and a PRS SE singlecut and the PRS SE played better and sounded just as good. Fit and finish quality was better too and at over a grand difference in price. For the LP experience the new PRS SE 245 IMO would be a better overall guitar than either model you mention. the whole hey it`s a Gibson retoric is a load IMO. My 2002 looked real sweet. Cherry sunburst and awesome flamed top. but just could not get the playabiltiy to where I wanted it. the action could never get to where I wanted and feel from my observation was a warped neck. I even had a fre level done and it still did not play anywhere as nice as the PRS SE did. Frankly I will never buy a Gibson LP again. Also the PUs never clean up decent- always a bit muddy toned in neck position.
for the money you will get a better guitar with the PRS SE 245 AND you can still change PUs if you ever so desire to and still have a nicer guitar IMO for alot less.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post

I had a 2002 LP standard and a PRS SE singlecut and the PRS SE played better and sounded just as good. Fit and finish quality was better too and at over a grand difference in price. For the LP experience the new PRS SE 245 IMO would be a better overall guitar than either model you mention. the whole hey it`s a Gibson retoric is a load IMO. My 2002 looked real sweet. Cherry sunburst and awesome flamed top. but just could not get the playabiltiy to where I wanted it. the action could never get to where I wanted and feel from my observation was a warped neck. I even had a fre level done and it still did not play anywhere as nice as the PRS SE did. Frankly I will never buy a Gibson LP again. Also the PUs never clean up decent- always a bit muddy toned in neck position.
for the money you will get a better guitar with the PRS SE 245 AND you can still change PUs if you ever so desire to and still have a nicer guitar IMO for alot less.
Sounds too good to be true, frankly .
Anyway thanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingYourStyle View Post
Sounds too good to be true, frankly .
Anyway thanks.
I have owned several Electrics since the 80s and before I got my Taylor Solid body standard my favorite was a Gibson Explorer. I traded it for the 02 LP standard and regretted it. I then traded the LP towards an acoustic and cheeper ESP LTD LP type guitar and was much happier. I had an ESP EC400 and EC1000 that both sounded and played better than the LP. the ESPs both had the Duncan JB/59 PU set.

As of now my Taylor is my favorite of all of them. THE PRS SE singlcut I had played like butter. I was thinking of getting another one a month or so back but when A/Bed against the Taylor I liked the clarity of the Taylors PUs better. Also the Taylor has much more tone options withthe 5 way selector. When the SE245 come about I may just get one-- You woud not believe the sloppy detailing on the LP standard I had. BUT I was caught up in the OOOOH OOOH I have a REAL LP. well I got over that quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9-mM...layer_embedded
Old 03-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Guitar Gourmet

PRS's are 25" scale to Gibson's 24.75". Don't know if it make a difference to you but it does to me. If I'm shopping for a 24.75", I'm shopping for a 24.75".

Back to your original question, I'd go with the Gibson, period. I've owned Epis. I just did a pickup replacement on an Epi V. Before the replacement, I had a constant problem with feedback. The pickups had a significant high-end boost. We replaced them with Seymour Duncans and the guitar turned into a great ax. There are still a couple of issues: the pickup switch became intermittent within a couple of years and the pots began to go rather quickly as well. All this is covered by the warranty, but it means a trip to the store for a repair.

I've never had a Gibson switch fail, and my oldest is 37 years old. Besides that, the maple cap on an LP studio is thicker than that of an Epi. You don't have to wonder what it will sound like with decent pickups, either.

But it is a personal choice and you've got to make it with your own little fingers and ears. Have fun!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbuster View Post
Gibson LP Studio.

There are some great ones out there which sound as good as any Standards I have heard.

+ its a Gibson
+1. I have a Gibson LP Studio and a Standard Plus. Both are excellent. I'd pick the studio over the epi. If you do go with the Epiphone, you'll probably want to spend $ to replace the pickups and electronics so consider that in your cost comparison. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
PRS's are 25" scale to Gibson's 24.75". Don't know if it make a difference to you but it does to me. If I'm shopping for a 24.75", I'm shopping for a 24.75".

Back to your original question, I'd go with the Gibson, period. I've owned Epis. I just did a pickup replacement on an Epi V. Before the replacement, I had a constant problem with feedback. The pickups had a significant high-end boost. We replaced them with Seymour Duncans and the guitar turned into a great ax. There are still a couple of issues: the pickup switch became intermittent within a couple of years and the pots began to go rather quickly as well. All this is covered by the warranty, but it means a trip to the store for a repair.

I've never had a Gibson switch fail, and my oldest is 37 years old. Besides that, the maple cap on an LP studio is thicker than that of an Epi. You don't have to wonder what it will sound like with decent pickups, either.

But it is a personal choice and you've got to make it with your own little fingers and ears. Have fun!

Bob
the PRS SE 245 has the exact same scale length as the Gibson LP 24.5" hense the name SE 245. also has same seperate volume and tone knobs as the LP
Old 03-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
the PRS SE 245 has the exact same scale length as the Gibson LP 24.5" hense the name SE 245. also has same seperate volume and tone knobs as the LP
Mmmm... I stand correctively...

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-26-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Mmmm... I stand correctively...
you were correct-- they just released the new SE 245 for 2011- I was not even aware until recently
Old 03-27-2011, 06:20 AM

If you're a player, and not a collector, I'd go with the Epiphone. You can customize the electronics and hardware to make it your own. There are other "LP"-style guitars that impress me more than Gibson's...and I have a '74 Les Paul Deluxe!
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 03-27-2011, 06:30 AM

I've been eyeing the Les Paul Studio for quite some time, the white one because of my strong preference for the ebony fingerboard, so I read this thread with particular interest. Based on Womack's post, I'd go with the Gibson.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars