The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-17-2015, 07:38 PM

Default PRS market saturation?

Anybody else noticing used prs customs and mccarty models going for pretty much good strat prices?

Too many out there?

No hate here. I like them. That's why I'm noticing the prices. Every time I'm about to pull the trigger, I see something else better for the same price or less
Old 02-17-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Anybody else noticing used prs customs and mccarty models going for pretty much good strat prices?

Too many out there?

No hate here. I like them. That's why I'm noticing the prices. Every time I'm about to pull the trigger, I see something else better for the same price or less
I've never noticed that, but for many years I've noticed that Ebay seems to sell about 1-2% of the prs guitars they list. I suspect a huge oversaturation. Paul makes the best factory electric guitars I've played, and the pickups have gotten better over the years.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:32 PM

i just noticed on my local craigslist one prs, many fender squires, a couple fender low quality jazz basses, a few taylors and a lot of junk. so, i haven't seen a plethora of prs, no.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-17-2015, 11:42 PM

I think the used factory market is way oversaturated because there are so many great guitars being made...

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 02-18-2015, 10:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

what do you mean good strat? Custom shop? Deluxe? I still see PRS ie Custom 22/24 with birds going for about $1500 - $2000. Even a deluxe strat is about $1200 on a good day used, custom shop on a used market is about $2000
Old 02-18-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee_Voe View Post
what do you mean good strat? Custom shop? Deluxe? I still see PRS ie Custom 22/24 with birds going for about $1500 - $2000. Even a deluxe strat is about $1200 on a good day used, custom shop on a used market is about $2000
I'm not at all talking real custom shop. I should have been more specific though. Used Eric Johnsons, stuff like that.

Do an Ebay search for PRS Used and restrict it to sold listings. Look at how many are available for $1,500 or under. You'll see 10 tops in the $1,600 to $1,800 range. For a set neck guitar with their hardware? Those are bolt on prices!
Old 02-18-2015, 01:14 PM

Yes to things said, and what's popular also changes. I've watched the prices for a few Martin and Fender models for a long time and clearly saw times when the patterns with price and inventory changed.

For 10 tops, many products seem to fetch much more money for an exclusive or premium feature when sold new than later.

I am recalling guitar shopping I did in 1977. Not that many new ones were all over, and even less when you looked in the classifieds or used stock at stores. Sure my metro area has grown but it doesn't seem like that was commensurate with what I see on craigslist this morning.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:45 PM

I think it's partly market saturation, partly brand dilution. The SE budget range of guitars has brought many of the PRS designs into a much more affordable range for many. I remember seeing a PRS SE something-or-other with bird inlays on sale for $500, new. I remember a time when those birds were coveted - a signature feature of a truly premium brand. If you saw a PRS with bird inlays, you knew it was a top-dollar guitar.

Not so, anymore. By making many of those designs and features available in the $500 range, you're undoubtedly going to cannibalize the sales of your higher-end line to a certain extent.

I just checked out their web site and saw an SE version of the quilt-top Custom 24 with birds. It's just about a dead ringer for the $3k Custom 24, and retails in the $700 range.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:46 PM

I've been GASSING for a PRS 24 fret 10 top purple with gold hardware (of course the bird inlays) for years. Was a several thousand dollar guitar and now seems to be a little more attainable (down to the couple thousand range).

Of course there seem to be a ton of used models on the market...
Old 02-22-2015, 12:36 PM

In the auto industry there is a term, units in operation (UIO). Which is the estimate total number of vehicles on the road from a specific brand. This is used to determine market share. Appling this to guitar brands, it would be very difficult for PRS to outnumber Fender or Gibson electrics in most markets because PRS has only been making guitars for 30 years, about half the years Fender has been at it. So, in most markets PRS would still have a small market share and have not reached market saturation. Limited supply would drive price. In my area there are several boat loads of Fender guitars on the secondary market and they are relatively affordable compared to PRS. Over the years most manufactures have kept core models while adding and ending models. Short runs of guitar models probably leads to sustained higher prices on the secondary market. What's interesting about guitars is that your go to number one or dream guitar, might be one that I bought last year, didn't bond with and sold to someone else. Great topic!
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars