The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-03-2011, 08:25 AM

Wink Opinions wanted Gibson es135 or es137.

Happy New Year to fellow AGF members. Do any of you play/own a Gibson es135 or es137. I am open to alternatives to the Gibson if you love a particular make and model, please suggest it and say why. I am interested in buying a semi-hollow with a thin body. I will use it for blues, classic rock and jazz. I play both finger style and with a pick. My budget is $1000 to $1800. All opinions greatly appreciated. michael s.
Godin ACS SA Sunburst
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Campbell American UK1
G&L ASAT Classic
Aria Sinsinido
Fender Precision Bass
Old 01-03-2011, 12:04 PM

I've tried and looked at used and new 135, 137, 175, 335 and 336 when they're available in my area.

Keep in mind that some are solid center and most are laminate so they don't make unamplified tone like some guitars but same features will cut feedback. Depending upon pickups and versions I sort of thought lighter Les Pauls with wings.

My favored trials and examples among them were a 175 and 336. The used 336 is probably a bit beyond your budget.

If you can top your budget a bit you might find the nicer of these product families and PRS Hollow Body too. The PRS are love or hate but every one I've touched is made better than many other guitars. I picked up one at a price competitive with decent Gibsons and really like how it's actually hollow, not laminate so it makes tone without amplification yet does not get prone to feedback.

It's seems like a buyer's market so a little delayed gratification and looking might get you a real winner in several ways.

Don't forget an amp in your budget!

Have fun.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:16 PM

If I were looking at this type of guitar, I would give serious consideration to one of the Carvin carved top models. I haven't played them, so don't know how they compare to the Gibsons, but they're pretty affordable (relatively speaking). I believe they're made in the US with solid tops. Here's a link:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/customs...wcarvedtop.php

Here's a thread from a few months ago, though I don't know how much time was spent talking about these specific guitars:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ht=carvin+arch
Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 PM

Your budget gives you some good options.

I personally own a Hofner Verythin Standard, which I love--brand new they were just a little over your budget.

The biggest factor in going with the Hof over a Gibson for me was scale length--the Hofner is 25.5, while all the Gibson Semi-hollows are 24.75. Mine (a 2002) also has Hofner's "diamond" mini-humbuckers, a nice bright humbucking pickup (later versions used standard sized humbuckers) They're not making the standard anymore, as they've gone to China to make a similar, but not quite as well appointed instrument. There's fewer and fewer out there, but they're not commanding ridiculous prices...yet. The German made Hofners are all top quality, professional instruments.

On the Gibson front: You can find 135's for even less than 1k sometimes. They're not making the 135 anymore, a bit of a shame, it was a great "everyman's" Gibson--Nicely made, non-flashy guitars. You don't see too many. Some of the 137's have the "varitone" circuit, which I find kind of overkill and useless. New, they're a good deal over your budget--I also haven't seen many used.

I've rarely seen a used 335/336 in your budget but the 339 is just out of your reach brand new. If you can find one lightly used, it should be in your wheelhouse, and they're LOVELY, and a smaller body than a 335...a very cool, very well made guitar.

Another Gibson Semi-hollow that appears used from time to time at very affordable prices is the Howard Roberts fusion model. Keep an eye out--they're excellent instruments.

One more idea--I've seen lots of Guild Starfire's popping up on ebay in your budget. They're marvelous guitars, and it seems the single cutaway models are going a little cheaper than the double-cuts. There, you'd have a real treasure, a vintage American guitar that's a real player--a keeper for life.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-03-2011, 02:06 PM

Have you considered the Taylor T3 or T3/B among your options? I think the Taylor T3/B is a fine looking guitar, and it gets great reviews. You can pick one up at the top end of your price range (I know Guitar Rodeo has them at that price because I contacted Jim a few months ago...although I since changed my mind and went with the Gibson SG Standard).

Taylor T3/B

~DB
Old 01-03-2011, 06:17 PM

have you looked at used gibson125Ts? the newer 135 has newer pickups that, in my opinion, don't even come close to the old p90 pickups on the 125. check them out.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-04-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael s View Post
Happy New Year to fellow AGF members. Do any of you play/own a Gibson es135 or es137. I am open to alternatives to the Gibson if you love a particular make and model, please suggest it and say why. I am interested in buying a semi-hollow with a thin body. I will use it for blues, classic rock and jazz. I play both finger style and with a pick. My budget is $1000 to $1800. All opinions greatly appreciated. michael s.
I've played both those guitars and currently own (and will keep) a Gibson ES-137 Custom. I love this guitar. First of all, it's gorgeous. Every time I play it out people wanna come up during the breaks and check it out, especially other guitarists. My guitarist friends want to check it out to see if something that good-looking and sounding can also play. To a person they've given it rave reviews and I've had several experienced players declare it their favorite among my guitars. (Check out the link in my sig line, add two sweet Teles, and you'll see the company it keeps.)

The Custom comes with Gibson's '57 humbuckers and these are great sounding pickups. Crank the volume and tone controls and these will rock, plumb out. Back off and they'll do sweet and mellow with no problem. In between they'll give you cryin' blues. This is one of my few electrics in which I have not replaced the pickups.

Every guitar's got cons. Here are the 137 Custom's. It's heavy. Heavier than a Strat or a Tele or my chambered Les Paul. A nice wide (4") leather strap took care of this for me, even without padding. With that strap I've done 3 hour gigs with no problems. Second, the Varitone circuit. The Varitone is fun and the sounds in each position are distinct from one another and usable, but in any but the open position (position 1) the guitar gets noticeably quieter, which is seldom a good thing for you or your sound man. I wound up playing with mine in position 1 for the majority of the time.

I got mine on ebay in mint condition, and got a pro set up on it, for well within the top end of your budget. As you can see from this thread and the used prices, they don't get the respect they deserve, but believe me, you won't ever regret getting one. Finally, between you and me, I've played everything mentioned so far in this thread and wouldn't trade my ES-137 Custom for any of 'em.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:53 AM

I have a 2003 135 which is a transitional model. Like a 137, it has a mahogany center block and a stop tailpiece. It has a 57 Classic in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan in the neck. I had one of the older 135s with a chromyte center block, trapeze tailpiece and 57 Classic pickups, that I sold to a friend. Another friend has a 135 with P-100s (stacked humbuckers that are supposed to emulate the old, single-coil P-90s). I've read a lot of internet reports by people who say they don't like the P-100s, but I like them. There is quite a bit of weight variation in 135s. The one I have now is quite a bit lighter than the other two.

I also have an ES335, but I prefer the 135. It just seems to fit me better. It's slightly smaller and lighter, and doesn't have neck binding.

Some people say the 135s sound just like a Les Paul. I've owned a Les Paul, and while the 135s can sound like a Les Paul, to me they are closer to a 335; a different kind of sustain, and a "woodier" sound. I'd say they are a great choice for playing jazz or blues, and they can do rock as well.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:15 PM

Default Hollow body Gibson

Thanks to all of you for your very informed responses. I find it so helpful to be a member of AGF and ask folks their opinions. I bought a non-Gibson guitar after all. I really liked the 135 and 137 but didn't find a used one and couldn't afford a new one. I found a 2005 Gadow Custom Hollow and will receive it Tuesday. If you're curious, go to the Gadow website or check out the Gadow Custom Hollow on YouTube. Real sweet guitars. thanks again, michael s.
Godin ACS SA Sunburst
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Campbell American UK1
G&L ASAT Classic
Aria Sinsinido
Fender Precision Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars