The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-22-2019, 12:42 AM

Default Super glue/fret slots

I am using super glue in the fret slots while installing frets. I read that some people use wood paste wax (Johnson wax is used by StewMac)) on either side of the fret slots to help prevent extra glue bleed out onto the fretboard. Apart from Johnson wood paste wax (which is very expensive for just one job) is there any other wax that would do the job?
Someone suggested 3M scotch tape on either side of the fret slot, which I tried .. that didn’t work! The problem I had was that removing the tape after the job was done proved to be difficult .. the glue spill out caused the tape to be stuck to the board and almost impossible to remove!! Is there a ‘’special’’ tape that would prevent glue bleed out and at the same time be easy to remove?

Thanks for any help
Old 06-22-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad20540 View Post
I am using super glue in the fret slots while installing frets. I read that some people use wood paste wax (Johnson wax is used by StewMac)) on either side of the fret slots to help prevent extra glue bleed out onto the fretboard. Apart from Johnson wood paste wax (which is very expensive for just one job) is there any other wax that would do the job?
Someone suggested 3M scotch tape on either side of the fret slot, which I tried .. that didn’t work! The problem I had was that removing the tape after the job was done proved to be difficult .. the glue spill out caused the tape to be stuck to the board and almost impossible to remove!! Is there a ‘’special’’ tape that would prevent glue bleed out and at the same time be easy to remove?

Thanks for any help
Glue sounds like a mess. I only use super glue on a fret end once in a while when the barbs won't grab..and I use half a drop then clean up and clamp for a few minutes. I press the frets in with a vise clamp I retrofitted with radius cauls I made. I can't even get them out without destroying the board. Is the saw cut you are making is too large maybe?
Old 06-22-2019, 01:39 AM

When you run super glue into the slot, wipe it off the surface and use 220grit to resand the surface and remove any stain, then press the fret in

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-22-2019, 04:51 AM

Default opinion

Super glue anywhere on a guitar - - - 'for professional use only' ought to be understood to be a requirement. Like the yacht salesman said, if you got to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it. Sort of. But if someone's asking on a forum how to use super glue - - - don't try this at home. My opinion.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Clear packing tape like the kind you’d find at Office Depot or Staples will not stick to super glue. You have to wipe off the excess right away, otherwise, the glue will still be stuck to the fret and the tape will be pinned under it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair