The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-30-2020, 08:58 AM

Dave's Insanity is for adding heat only. It actually tastes terrible. When I first encountered it, I put a dab on the end of my finger and put it in my mouth. It had an awful, bitter flavor and the sensation was nothing like "spicy". It basically paralyzed all the nerve endings in my mouth and I couldn't speak for about 10 minutes! Bleh. Not enjoyable whatsoever.

I love hot, but there has to be some flavor--not just hot for hot's sake. Another shout out for the Matouk's--there are times when I wish it were actually a bit milder so I could use more; it has a wonderful, fruity intense aroma and flavor.

Some of my other faves are El Yucateco (both red and green), Pico Pica for everyday use on tacos & burritos, and while Panola Jalapeno isn't that spicy it goes great on egg dishes IMO.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:00 AM

I love the Tabasco brand Chipotle. Pretty much all I’ll use anymore
Old 10-30-2020, 09:21 AM

Yucatan Sunshine is another regular in the rotation.
Straightforward, simple, solid habanero sauce.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I love hot, but there has to be some flavor--not just hot for hots sake.
This is my philosophy for hot sauce - I need it to taste good, and if it's too hot, you can't taste anything else. My everyday is Cholula - they make several variations, and they're all pretty good. My favorites have always been the homemade sauces at little Mexican or Central American restaurants - when that was easier to experience. They are always interesting, and almost always delicious.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Nothing too exotic for me - I love good old Cholula Original.
I agree. It is tasty, but you don’t have to be too cautious about how much you use.

I’ve done my time eating hot Indian food, hot Korean food, etc. But I am older now, and eating really hot foods isn’t as fun as it used to be...my intestines have changed over the years.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:21 AM

Made a switch to this a couple of years ago. Now, I don't use anything else.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-30-2020, 10:52 AM

Every fan of the sauce should try Marie Sharp's out of Belize. Habanero, carrot, and lime. It's not a vinegar style sauce. It's a bright, fresh sauce. as always with sauces that come in different heats, always start with the mildest to really taste the flavors.

Secondly El Yucateco. An excellent range hot sauces. I tend towards the milder one here too, again for more flavor than heat, but the double X hot one is also awesome.

Never been into the Frat-Boy "Hot for Hot's sake" sauces with the clever names. If you need to sign a waiver, you're doin' somethin' wrong
Old 10-30-2020, 11:26 AM

I like Valentina, which isn't super hot but has good flavor. I generally ask for Cholula at non-Mexican restaurants. I like to add small amounts of fresh or dried habanero peppers from time as well. My wife doesn't like any of that stuff, so a little bit goes a long way in our household.

"May you stay forever young."-Dylan
Old 10-30-2020, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

This:

And of course also this:

Old 10-30-2020, 12:49 PM

I'll try a boutique hot sauce from time to time, but my day to day hot sauce is my signature model: Frank's.

Plain old everyday Louisiana brand tabasco is good too. I kind of like their green variation too.

The place I bike to for breakfast most mornings has a house thick green chili hot sauce that's great on their heavos rancheros.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-30-2020, 01:12 PM

Mrs. Renfro's Green Salsa.
https://www.renfrofoods.com/products/green-salsa
Old 10-30-2020, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

I use Sriracha a lot for flavor and spice. Recently, I found this Habanero Seasoning by Chef's Select in a local Ocean Job Lot store for just a back per bottle. It adds just the right amount of hotness and flavor with a little sea salt. Perfect for spicing up just about anything and no mess, no refrigeration or expiration to worry about. Great stuff.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

This

Old 10-30-2020, 04:07 PM

I've used that dry spice, it is excellent on veggies.

I agree, sauce for flavor, not cover. Dave's is a concentrate, it is not for topping, it is for a COOKING ingredient. Anything that requires a chemistry set to make, no thanks. I have made tons of my own hot sauce and I have visited Puckerbutt Peppers in NC many of times. I love getting peppers and seeds from them. I cook BBQ and Chili competitively (not much this year, because of recent events) and I really like getting fancy peppers for adding unique flavor to dishes.

To those using Sriracha, seriously try the Melinda's stuff. I used to use Sriracha almost religiously, but after trying Melinda's, the flavor is absolutely outstanding.

Another REALLY REALLY good sauce for sandwiches that adds flavor and not too much heat is Bee Sting Honey n' Habanero. It is also excellent to make hot wings with.

If I want that Scotch Bonnet flavor, I go for Ocho Rios Scotch Bonnet.

Also, whoever mentioned the Mrs. Renfro's salsa.....YES!
Old 10-30-2020, 05:06 PM

Jardine Blazin' Saddle when I can get it, Melinda's when I can't...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic