The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-31-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schinckley View Post
So, here’s an update on my thinking: simplifying the plug-in procedure is the focus of this whole exercise. Given the repeated advice to “just get a preamp,” I’ve thought I could get a Rane Ap13, which is rack-mountable, as is my mixer. With the Rane and mixer mounted in a rack, the cables from the Rane to the mixer just stay plugged in. Then, when I setup the PA, all I have to do is plug a stereo cable from the guitar to the Rane and recall the appropriate settings on the mixer. The only downside is having a big box to lug around, but it would only require a 4 space rack. Not too bad.

One question. How long a cable is acceptable for these dual-mono-with-bias-power cable runs?
My rig used to be internal condenser to tip, Fishman UST to ring, TRS to AP-13.
The AP-13 will supply t-bias power of 6 or 15v. You need to have a mike that will run on that low of a voltage - most miniature mikes do, but check first.

I used a 20 foot cable without any problems.

The AP-13 is one rack space. I used one of those softer fabric 2 space racks that you can sling over a shoulder.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-31-2020, 09:01 PM

That’s funny, I just submitted a new thread about the preamp sound quality question and then clicked over to this thread and saw your answer, Doug. My mixer has two hi-Z inputs, so that should be ok. The mono cable I’m currently using for the Ultra Tonic is 15’. Although I have limited experience, I’m told the Ultra Tonic is loud for a passive pickup. I assume that means it has adequate gain for signal to noise considerations. I guess I could look up the specs on my mixer, but I’m guessing the quality is adequate. I have an old two channel Behringer mixer that is super noisy. Don’t know why, but it does make me curious about what’s going on inside these boxes that makes one noisy and another “amazing.”

If I end up going the Rane route, a 10’ cable would work. The mixer just sits at my feet anyway. The interface is through an iPad, so the mixer can just be anywhere it needs to be on stage.

Gordon, thanks for the reply. Can you tell me more about the Rane? Things you liked/disliked about it? Any quarks?
Old 10-31-2020, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My mixer has two hi-Z inputs, so that should be ok.

Maybe - that's the issue. I've plugged into plenty of mixers with "hi-Z" inputs that sounded terrible. Yours may work, it may not. Try it. And are you sure you'll never plug into any other mixer - always yours?

I had a Rane for quite a while, it was sort of the thing to use before the SPS-1 came out, which is now also no longer made.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Gordon, thanks for the reply. Can you tell me more about the Rane? Things you liked/disliked about it? Any quarks?
The Rane AP-13 is pretty clean and well-built. Living in the PNW, I got to know some folks at Rane and they were highly committed to quality and audio standards.

I like the routing options (inserts on each channel and effects loop).

The EQ is usable, but I prefer parametric over graphic EQ.

No quirks, it always sounded clean to me. I still own two of them.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-04-2020, 03:34 PM

Update:

I ordered a Rane Ap 13 off Reverb. Should be here Friday, as well as some patch cables. I have a TRS-TRS cable I used ages ago to run signal to powered speakers. Says "Livewire Shielded Balanced 18199" on it. I bought it so long and haven't used it in years so I don't remember anything about the specs. I tried looking it up and can find it for sale but without specs. The soldering is covered up with some heat shrink tubing. Seems like good quality. I'm going to try it has my instrument cable from the guitar to the Rane for now.

Now I just have to install the mic in the guitar...

incidentally, I did hear back from Dave Enke at Open to Source Sensors. He said the "Stereo Power Plug" can be custom ordered to accomplish what I was originally thinking, having a 9v battery to power the mic and then a stereo cable to carry both pickup and mic signals to mixer. Not needed now with the Rane, and the Rane was cheaper than the Stereo Power Plug.

When I get the time, I plan to build a rack case that will hold the mixer and the Rane. The cables from the Rane to the mixer will just stay plugged in. When it's time to plug in the guitar, it's just one cable from the guitar to the Rane.

Thanks for the advice and guidance, all!
Old 11-04-2020, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

The Rate AP13 is an excellent unit with many features, good sonics and predictable behavior. Silly cheap these days too. I bought my first one about 25 years ago and still have a more recent one.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
The Rate AP13 is an excellent unit with many features, good sonics and predictable behavior. Silly cheap these days too. I bought my first one about 25 years ago and still have a more recent one.
Yeah, I think I ended up selling mine for $50!
Old 11-04-2020, 10:27 PM

AP13s are great. I’m retro - between that and a couple of old Ravens, I have all the preamps I need.

But I have too many of them, too....they accrete.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
but a preamp that just gives you basic eq and blends the signal seems redundant. Am I missing something that these things do (besides providing mic power)?
I still use pendulum pickup/mic module. well. that's a beast of a preamp, which sounds better than ANY mixer preamp you could get, the quality of those little things is astonishing. So yes, a preamp could make the difference, if it's good enough.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
pendulum audio, schatten