The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-19-2024, 03:22 PM

Default Testing The Waters... Help A Guy Out?

This could be a fairly long post; I tend to be wordy. I'll try to keep it short.

Point 1: I have $500 gift certificate for Guitar Center
Point 2: I'm a steel-string player using my fingers mostly, but not a finger-picker. I liken my style to "electric guitar music on an acoustic guitar."
Point 3: The cold, dry weather makes my hands and fingers crack.

So...

I'm thinking of getting a smaller-sized nylon string guitar to play without hurting my fingers. I've recently found I like smaller (parlor, GC-size) guitars because I have small hands and thin fingers.

Checking GC's web site, I found the Cordoba Mini II MH-CE All Mahogany Nylon-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar. Nice price (leaves me enough left over for an acoustic amp, maybe), has a cutaway, all mahogany.

They carry a number of Ibanez classical guitars. I have an Ibby archtop that is absolutely fabulous, so based on that, I'd be favorably disposed toward that brand. The AEG50N gets good marks here, and I also like the looks and specs on the GA35. An outlier could be the Washburn C64SCE-A. I have mixed feelings about the brand though, so that's one reason I'm seeking suggestions.

Have I missed the "killer" guitar? Mind you, I'm not looking to perform with it, but only use it as an at-home fill-in until my hands can deal with the weather (this happens to me every year). Thus, I don't want or need a top-end, but just something I can noodle with and not kill my fingers.

GC has two locations, each about 15 miles from me where I could possible go to try them out. But I'd like to know what I'm looking to try before I go.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2024, 03:36 PM

I have recently tried the other Córdoba Mini II CE, the one with the solid spruce top. It was well made an sounds interesting, but actually not like a guitar.
Returned it in exchange for a 3/4 size Cadete and am very happy with this one. Now, this is a small but real guitar! Surprisingly substantial bottom end by the way.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctone View Post
I have recently tried the other Córdoba Mini II CE, the one with the solid spruce top. It was well made an sounds interesting, but actually not like a guitar.
Returned it in exchange for a 3/4 size Cadete and am very happy with this one. Now, this is a small but real guitar! Surprisingly substantial bottom end by the way.
Good advise.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctone View Post
Several people have remarked on the Cadete, but GC doesn't seem to carry them. They don't even show one "not in stock."

ETA: Oops, my search criteria must have been off. Either that, or AGF updates are super slow! It does appear that GC does carry the Cadete. No cutaway, no electronics. no case. But $389 is well within reach. Tell me more!

Last edited by fpuhan; 01-19-2024 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
Several people have remarked on the Cadete, but GC doesn't seem to carry them. They don't even show one "not in stock."

ETA: Oops, my search criteria must have been off. Either that, or AGF updates are super slow! It does appear that GC does carry the Cadete. No cutaway, no electronics. no case. But $389 is well within reach. Tell me more!
Everything you might want to know is in my NNGD post.

The Cadete should be available pretty much everywhere:

Cordoba Cadete at Sweetwater

If you're a regular customer there are better deals.

Last edited by Rudy4; 01-19-2024 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Everything you might want to know is in my NNGD post.

The Cadete should be available pretty much everywhere:

Cordoba Cadete at Sweetwater

If you're a regular customer there are better deals.
Yes, I have an account at Sweetwater, but I have free money at Guitar Center!

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2024, 07:49 PM

Yamaha gets a lot of love on the main subforum here. A bit pricier, but still within my ceiling, is the Yamaha NTX1 Acoustic-Electric Classical Guitar. Any thoughts on this?

Yeah, I really don't want to drop the $500 all on a guitar, but if it's the right guitar...
Old 01-19-2024, 08:02 PM
Musical minimalist

I'd be looking on the GC used site for something - much larger bang for the buck.

That said, if you go that route, make sure you ask tons of questions regarding condition and detailed pics of any imperfections.

Old 01-19-2024, 08:59 PM

I have the Yamaha NCX1 which is more like a classical guitar with a cutaway. It has a wider neck and 12 frets to the body. I think it has very good onboard electronics with a 3-band EQ and it pairs nicely with my acoustic amp.

Most steel-string players do prefer the NTX1 since it has a narrower neck and 14 frets to the body. It uses the same electronics.

The lower bout width of the NTX1 is just a smidge over 15" so it would be like a OOO guitar. The deepest body depth is 3-9/16" so it's shallower than an OM.

Keep in mind that Guitar Center gives you a return window of 30 days. You can return the NTX1 if you are unhappy with it. They will probably just re-issue you with another a gift card. Verify with them.
Old 01-20-2024, 01:00 AM

I have owned the guitar you're looking at (Cordoba Mini II MH), I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than if you need that small size. It plays ok compared to full-sized classical (just slight adjustment) but sounds terrible.

I also have owned the Cordoba Mini II EB-CE (this is a solid top guitar with built-in tuner/electronics). It sounds much better than the Mini II MH; but still not all that great sounding. I lost this guitar and bought the Mini II MH; I figured that nothing can sound worse and I just needed something to practice that can fit while I sit in the car. Turns out, the Mini II MH can sound worse making me hate playing it.

Those 2 Cordobas sounded more like cheap ukuleles than cheap guitars. And good ukuleles sound way better than those 2.

If you're just looking for easy/low string tension and small; maybe consider a short-scale travel guitar (acoustic or electric).

A Martin 000jr-10 does sound like a guitar and is pretty easy on the fingers (but it's more than $500); I also liked the Taylor GS Mini (they sounded really good for laminate back/sides). If those are too big, the travel guitars can be even even smaller/shorter scale. There must be a bunch of these types of guitars in Guitar Center. I'd just go there and try all the small guitars in their acoustic room. Also, you can buy used too with you gift card.
Old 01-20-2024, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
I have owned the guitar you're looking at (Cordoba Mini II MH), I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than if you need that small size. It plays ok compared to full-sized classical (just slight adjustment) but sounds terrible.

I also have owned the Cordoba Mini II EB-CE (this is a solid top guitar with built-in tuner/electronics). It sounds much better than the Mini II MH; but still not all that great sounding. I lost this guitar and bought the Mini II MH; I figured that nothing can sound worse and I just needed something to practice that can fit while I sit in the car. Turns out, the Mini II MH can sound worse making me hate playing it.

Those 2 Cordobas sounded more like cheap ukuleles than cheap guitars. And good ukuleles sound way better than those 2.

If you're just looking for easy/low string tension and small; maybe consider a short-scale travel guitar (acoustic or electric).

A Martin 000jr-10 does sound like a guitar and is pretty easy on the fingers (but it's more than $500); I also liked the Taylor GS Mini (they sounded really good for laminate back/sides). If those are too big, the travel guitars can be even even smaller/shorter scale. There must be a bunch of these types of guitars in Guitar Center. I'd just go there and try all the small guitars in their acoustic room. Also, you can buy used too with you gift card.
Thanks for your opinions on the small Cordobas. I do own a Martin 000Jr-10E Shawn Mendes, and a GS Mini-e Koa, so I get your fondness for the small guitar form factor. But those are steel string, and I'm specifically thinking of a nylon string.

(Side note: I have a handmade classical guitar that was given to me by a friend, but I'm reluctant to do anything with it that might damage it. It's going on 50 years old. I'm thinking: Much cheaper and destructible).
Old 01-26-2024, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
Yamaha gets a lot of love on the main subforum here. A bit pricier, but still within my ceiling, is the Yamaha NTX1 Acoustic-Electric Classical Guitar. Any thoughts on this?

Yeah, I really don't want to drop the $500 all on a guitar, but if it's the right guitar...
I have one, I love it.

Very comfortable guitar, plays great, sounds good unplugged or plugged in.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical