The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-04-2018, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X30 case suggestions?

Hi everyone. I'm having an X30 related issue. Hopefully someone out there has a solution...

I recently bought an X30 from Emerald and it is an amazing instrument! In the past, I've found jumbos just too large to be comfortable in my lap but this guitar just feels really nice like my X20 did. Very impressed!

Now my issue...

I assumed it would come with the Hiscox case like the X20 did. For anyone who may be wondering, it does not. This is one of the most disappointing guitar cases I've ever seen.

I did contact Emerald and they said that due to the dimensions of the guitar body, this is the only case they could find after trying a bunch that would fit the guitar. That is a real drag. This guitar deserves a case that matches it's quality.

Emerald told me that the Hiscox jumbo case won't work for this guitar. I also checked out the Gator ata tsa jumbo case and just looking at the specs, that won't work. I also bit the bullet and ordered the SKB 20 jumbo ata tsa case which is a durable and compact case but that one didn't work either which resulted in me having to pay to ship it back and pay a restocking fee. The measurements seemed to match up exactly on paper but although the guitar does fit in the case, it's too deep to close it.

Now, the waterproof SKB jumbo tsa case with wheels may fit the guitar but I don't want to risk buying it and then having to return it as it's a large and heavy case. (There isn't a place close to me with one in stock at present.) Has anyone with an X30 tried this case by chance? I'm not crazy about this option as I'm pretty sure I'll have to pay extra when flying with it.

I have at least one or two engagements in 2019 where I'll be flying with layovers etc. I do not trust this case at all on top of the fact that it's sort of fugly.

If I can't find a case, I'll either sell it and by an X20 again or find someone with a mint X20 to trade it for. I'd rather not have to go through that though if I can help it!

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

PS. I already have a gig bag before anybody suggests that option.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:06 AM
Guest 928

I'm not sure about cello dimensions--might be worth checking. Or maybe acoustic bass cases?
Old 10-04-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman001 View Post
PS. I already have a gig bag before anybody suggests that option.
(Darn it all)
Old 10-04-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman001 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm having an X30 related issue. Hopefully someone out there has a solution.......Now, the waterproof SKB jumbo tsa case with wheels may fit the guitar but I don't want to risk buying it and then having to return it as it's a large and heavy case. (There isn't a place close to me with one in stock at present). Has anyone with an X30 tried this case by chance? I'm not crazy about this option as I'm pretty sure I'll have to pay extra when flying with it......
I have the rectangular SKB i-Series flight case with wheels. There is room for a dreadnought, certainly. I will have to try my Taylor 615 jumbo to see if fitting is a possibility, with some removal of padding. Doubtful it would fit without case modifications, but I don't have an X30 to try for fit. That case is in my storage unit, so not handy to try now. I will take the Taylor guitar to it later today and give you my impressions.

It is a bit disappointing that the hard case option isn't up to the Hiscox standards that we are used to seeing. But it is also nice to hear that even for a jumbo size, it is still comfortable to hold and play. Selling or trading seems a bit drastic, unless you have to have a solution really soon.

Another thing to consider: the JC-1 case for the Alvarez baritone ABT60. With a longer neck and a jumbo body, there is a chance. I have one of these, and will take some interior measurements for you later today too. It is a decent tweed hard case, but not ATA / TSA grade.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...ic-guitar-case
From the MF web page: Interior Dimensions: 44-1/4" total length, 20-3/4" body length, 13-1/2" W (upper bout), 17-1/4" W (lower bout), 5" body depth

Looking at the Emerald page, their hard case looks similar to the Alvarez case, just in black Tolex instead of tweed fabric. I'm not sure if the Alvarez case is a real upgrade for you. For the X30, Emerald lists: Overall Length 39 1/2“, Max Body Width 17" Max Body Depth 5 3⁄4", Max Body Length 21".
Old 10-04-2018, 01:35 PM

The case my new X30 came in fits the body outline like a glove. The depth of the body does cause the strings to contact the case top padding, but not too bad. It should wear in nicely over time. The neck/head support leaves a lot to be desired and the case is a few inches longer than the neck & head. I'm not worried about the lack of neck/head stability in the case, I use that volume to keep my strap and microfiber rags in. Besides, that's why I got the Carbon Fiber guitar to begin with so I wouldn't have to worry about it breaking. I do agree that I wouldn't want to trust a wood guitar in the case, mainly due to the neck/head support situation.

Probably the thing that bugs me the most about the case are the latches. They don't cam lock into the closed position like my other cases. I routinely find one or 2 latches undone. I've not been able to figure out why they randomly slip open. The bail always (so far) catches and keeps them from completely opening. When I first opened received the boxed guitar 3 out of the 5 buckles were loose, which didn't help my nerves. But, everything turned out fine.

I've been tempted to contact Reunion Blues and see if they could make a nice custom rigid foam, leather covered gig bag for an X30. They make beautiful stuff.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Cedar Creek cases makes, or at least used to make, a lot of different levels of custom case. I’d contact them, or at least check out their site for custom options. They are, in my experience, high quality. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2018, 06:38 PM

I may have my local GC get one of these to see if it will fit my X30.
https://gatorcases.com/products/guitar/lightweight-polyfoam-guitar-cases/gl-guitar/jumbo-acoustic-guitar-case-gl-jumbo/
Old 10-05-2018, 12:12 AM

With an X30 on order I'm quite interested in this thread.

Also: COME ON LET'S SEE A PHOTO OF YOUR X30!!!!!
Old 10-05-2018, 05:27 AM

The X30 case has been an ongoing problem but one that has just recently been resolved. Initially the X30 was designed to meet the Hiscox dimensions but unfortunately their listed dimensions didnt quite match the actual and the mould was already done.
we tried just about every option but nothing fitted except old stock X30 cases that we had from the old model.
Finally we managed to work out a minor modification for the Hiscox pro GJ case and as of last week we received our first shipment.
For anyone who has the other case we are happy to work out something to get you a new case.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Great to see Emerald address the issue of the X30 case - the right case or gig bag makes a big difference.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

That is awesome that you can now get the Hiscox case for your X30. Fingers crossed that one day they will make one for the X7 as well.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass

Last edited by wickedwahine; 10-05-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine View Post
Fingers crossd that one day they will make one for the X7 as well.
Yup. I lost all interest in the new X7 when I found out a proper hard case was unavailable. Just make certain that the headstock area is long enough to accommodate a 12-string version.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-07-2018, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody. Much appreciated!

After seeing the message from Emerald above, I'm going to contact them about this new case. It looks like my issue has been put to rest. Very cool!
Old 10-09-2018, 08:11 AM

Kevin just sent some pics of the new X30 case.
43477914_2035977096453485_6637967549055107072_n.jpg

43500048_1973332419630564_6470071762716459008_n.jpg

43567155_2387170474633552_822690806476308480_n.jpg

43716518_756591124678988_4305765088595279872_n.jpg

The neck certainly looks better supported in the new case. There's more room around the body and I can't tell much about the height.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
case, emerald, x30