The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-24-2018, 12:54 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Default Wilborn Build: The Blackbird-now completed NOW video and pics added

So, we're at it again. This one again an Ellie Belle design. This time however, I've taking the deep dive into that old aged stash of "Dad's Sitka" and some really sweet African Blackwood. We're gonna trim this baby out in some pretty Coco. Even adding an arm bevel!! More details to follow.

Should be a fun project!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!

Last edited by invguy921; 08-03-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

That is going to be beautiful. Ben makes fantastic guitars!
Old 05-24-2018, 04:46 PM

I believe you should have started with : "Hi, my name is Woody and I have a problem"

This should be a beauty Mike!
Travis
Old 05-24-2018, 05:12 PM

I talked to Ben a ways back about some of that stashed sitka, should make for a fine instrument.
Nice choice of woods, Ben is a gifted and skilled artisean.
Are you carving out that sapwood?

(like the 25 year limited warrantee on the woodset - - -)
Old 05-25-2018, 07:09 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
That is going to be beautiful. Ben makes fantastic guitars!
Thank you. Ben not only builds great guitars, as we've all learned he makes it fun along the way. Not to mention, Ben nails each and every aspect of clean lines through a well thought out build process...machine like if you will. I told him once that his process looks like a threat to build builders like Taylor because he's automated the things that seem to need automation, and yet engages his colorful creativity at every turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK View Post
I believe you should have started with : "Hi, my name is Woody and I have a problem"

This should be a beauty Mike!
Travis
Travis.... I guess I can't even take a second to argue with that observation. But...as they say...birds of a feather flock together and I think I'm in some pretty good company with a number of fellows here. Remember too that I've been to YOUR house...I might even be able to suggest that YOU ole' buddy might need to come to the meeting this next week and confess your addictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesdad View Post
I talked to Ben a ways back about some of that stashed sitka, should make for a fine instrument.
Nice choice of woods, Ben is a gifted and skilled artisean.
Are you carving out that sapwood?

(like the 25 year limited warrantee on the woodset - - -)
Nicholas, Thanks brother. It might be time for you to take this deep dive into a custom!?! I'd love to see what you might have built, and it would be fun to follow.

Yes we are carving out the sapwood. Initially I thought we were using it. Upon further talking about it and thinking about it, Ben suggested we trim it out. I'm hopefully optimistic that the guitar will still be equally sensational and interesting to look at without it.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Mike, this one looks to be another stunning build. Beautiful materials and in good hands with Ben. I look forward to following along.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Smile About that sapwood…

About that sapwood… Mike, please tell me you're not doing away with that beautiful center stripe of sapwood ! And it looks like there might be matching bits on the sides if you lined it up right

This one will be another beauty for your overflowing guitar room! Hah

Have fun boys! We will enjoy the process vicariously from the comfort of home...

Everybody have the finest of memorial day weekends and play lots of music!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-25-2018, 09:08 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Wow! Another Wilborn. Happy for ya Mike.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Default Another Sap comment

[QUOTE=Guitars44me;5738412]About that sapwood… Mike, please tell me you're not doing away with that beautiful center stripe of sapwood ! And it looks like there might be matching bits on the sides if you lined it up right

I have to admit I felt the same way about this sapwood. It would make a beautiful natural center stripe. On the other hand maybe it just doesn't fit with the design you and Ben are cooking up for the back.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

I too like the look of sapwood. However, I don't know if it is a universal truth, but a very reputable builder once told me that sapwood can be a weak point vs. the core of the tree. He prefers not to use it. Perhaps Ben feels this way too?

Either way I love the wood choices and this should be another beauty. Congrats Mike! I'll be along for the ride.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=nootis;5738584]I too like the look of sapwood. However, I don't know if it is a universal truth, but a very reputable builder once told me that sapwood can be a weak point vs. the core of the tree. He prefers not to use it. Perhaps Ben feels this way too?

I think in this case, the Blackwood's sapwood was structurally fine- but it just didn't fit in with our vision of a dark, elegant, restrained guitar. By "we", I mean Mike and me. I haven't started using the Royal We or anything. So the sapwood is gone, my apologies to the Pro-Sapwood Coalition.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:03 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Hey y'all, thanks Paul, Doug, Dennis and nottis for the kind words on the guitar. You guys are all very discriminating guitar people and your thoughts are always welcomed. I think Ben is right and it will look pretty darned classy either way. The Blackwood is such a great piece that it will have that deep translucent look under finish.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Smile Dark, elegant, and restrained...

Dark, elegant and restrained is good!

Have fun

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-26-2018, 11:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=WilbornGuitars;5738839]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
I too like the look of sapwood. However, I don't know if it is a universal truth, but a very reputable builder once told me that sapwood can be a weak point vs. the core of the tree. He prefers not to use it. Perhaps Ben feels this way too?

I think in this case, the Blackwood's sapwood was structurally fine- but it just didn't fit in with our vision of a dark, elegant, restrained guitar. By "we", I mean Mike and me. I haven't started using the Royal We or anything. So the sapwood is gone, my apologies to the Pro-Sapwood Coalition.
Apologies accepted...i guess. Blackwood sapwood is such an elegant splash of gold...i dont know if i actually can forgive you
I guess in time.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Throwing out the gold

[QUOTE=j. Kinnaird;5739512]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilbornGuitars View Post
Apologies accepted...i guess. Blackwood sapwood is such an elegant splash of gold...i dont know if i actually can forgive you
I guess in time.
I do like sapwood. I do! I do! But, I like to have some on the sides if I have it on the back. And with the molten look of the cocobolo binding, I figured the yellow would be a distraction. And now, most importantly, it's too late- the saw has done his work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop