The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2024, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Finding my sound

First, let me say, I think AGF is a great place to obtain knowledge, tips and ideas from those who have been kind enough to offer their advice. Very welcoming place.

A little background, started playing acoustic at 8. Had some basic lessons as a music store in a mall. A few years later, picked up playing bass because friends needed a bass player and they were better guitarists than me. In 1982, picked up a maple top Ibanez that has been all over the world with me. Every so often, I'd join other musicians and play along or help record something for them. However, bass was my main instrument. played in many original and cover bands. Definitely weekend warrior type things. i played very steady shows for about 15 years doing corporate, private shows and weddings with a group as their bassist, yet always plucking my acoustic at home or friends. Well, finally the work dried up (Covid). Plus has enough of all my weekends being filled with gigs and took a break. Yet, always plucking the acoustic. Well, two years ago, the former singer of the band said we should do an acoustic show because she knew i played acoustic. Excitement and panic set in as I haven't really done much performance wise with the acoustic for quite some time and i don't think my skills on it equaled her talent with singing.

Well, we started slowly and incorporated my wife as an additional singer (first time working in a group with her, she's excellent!) Late last year, we picked up another female friend as a singer, so it's me providing accompaniment with 3 part harmony singers. We're starting to pick up more work because the ladies got this whole cool female empowerment thing going that people are digging.

Anyway, they're always coming up with new song ideas for performance ranging from pop, rock, country, jazz, and Americana. It's all good stuff and they place a lot of faith in me to either learn the tune or create an arrangement that will work. Which leads me to my long winded point...(sorry)

AGF members have really help me find my sound and has provided great ideas either for performance or equipment. I'm using a Guild Westerly D-260ce Deluxe that I really like, using a Ditto X2 looper, into a a Allen and Heath ZED 10FX mixer to an EV Evolve 50. However, tried a Acoustic Fly Rig. Nice but too much tweaking for me. Tried the direct into the board as described above. Definitely a nice sound. The ZED 10FX has a really nice EQ and reverb effect IMO. However, missed a little chorus in some songs. I own a Fishman LB Mini and lately for rehearsals and gigs I've been using the amp as my personal monitor running its DI to the mixer. Playing enough with the basic controls of the LB Mini has allowed me to find a sound that i think makes the Guild shine and enhances the ladies voices. This is partly because of the great advice and help I've received from you all here at AGF.

Sometimes, I question my abilities to learn some of the tougher songs but again the encouragement and tips I get here have really paid off. I guess this is my long winded version of saying THANK YOU!.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:56 PM

Here’s my short-winded way of saying YOU’RE WELCOME!

No, seriously, this forum is a marvelous resource. I learn something new almost every time I log on here. Glad you’ve found it useful.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-27-2024, 12:14 AM
Runaway Tomato

Agreed - the AGF is a great resource!
Former AGF Moderator
Old 02-27-2024, 06:58 AM

Welcome indeed! You are in the right spot
Old 02-27-2024, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Glad you are here on the AGF, and I'm very pleased to read that the AGF has been helpful to you!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion