The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-19-2019, 08:34 PM

Default replacement tuning pegs for Recording King

Bought my boy a RK ros 9. He says the guitar sounds great and loves the feel but the tuners slip, are cheap. How do I match? Don't see any specs on the guitar or looking at tuners. No shops on island so its order on line. Any suggestions.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade63 View Post
Bought my boy a RK ros 9. He says the guitar sounds great and loves the feel but the tuners slip, are cheap. How do I match? Don't see any specs on the guitar or looking at tuners. No shops on island so its order on line. Any suggestions.
Tuners don't slip. Might need a little tweaking at the nut, or some attention to how the strings are wound on the tuners. If you don't have a guitar tech nearby, there are lots of online resources to help you.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-19-2019, 09:39 PM

It's a $200 guitar and yes, cheap tuners slip. Looks like a 9mm hole in the headstock so I will just have to find tuners with specs.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:44 PM

I also doubt that it's the tuners slipping.
Maybe the string slipping on the post?
Maybe a tuning machine or 2 that's loose?
A string getting caught up in the nut or on the saddle that
eventually snaps fee, lowering the pitch?
Old 01-20-2019, 01:33 PM

Well at any rate, found some Gotoh gold tuners he liked for $50. Part of it is I want him to be happy with his guitar. I'll save the original tuners and try them on another guitar, thanks for the replies.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade63 View Post
Well at any rate, found some Gotoh gold tuners he liked for $50. Part of it is I want him to be happy with his guitar. I'll save the original tuners and try them on another guitar, thanks for the replies.
You can't really go wrong with midrange Gotoh, Grover, or Schaller. Every one will be a big step up from cheap stock keys.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
You can't really go wrong with midrange Gotoh, Grover, or Schaller. Every one will be a big step up from cheap stock keys.
Exactly. They have a solid spruce top and "white wood" laminate body, not bad sound for a less expensive smaller guitar. A slight "boxy" sound to me but pretty good volume. Came with stock diadarios any suggestions on strings would be appreciated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair