The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-09-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Default Play Rainsong directly from the cold trunk?

Wondering if I can pull my Rainsong Smokey out of the zero degree trunk of my car, go into the 70 degree house and start playing right away - will I do any harm to the guitar? Thanks.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:42 AM

Nope. The beauty of carbon fiber and polyester clear coat finishes is that they are pretty insensitive to temperature changes. I've heard pro players tell of their Rainsong's in the cargo hold of small aircraft at -50°F, then playing them on stage within a few minutes touring in bush Alaska.

If playing with others, you might chase the tuning (absolute pitch) as everything warms up, but the guitar will likely stay in tune with itself pretty well.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Nope. The beauty of carbon fiber and polyester clear coat finishes is that they are pretty insensitive to temperature changes. I've heard pro players tell of their Rainsong's in the cargo hold of small aircraft at -50°F, then playing them on stage within a few minutes touring in bush Alaska.

If playing with others, you might chase the tuning (absolute pitch) as everything warms up, but the guitar will likely stay in tune with itself pretty well.
+1. Open it up and start playing.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:09 PM

Just Do it!
Old 01-09-2019, 03:39 PM

It will be perfectly fine.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 01-09-2019, 04:04 PM
Guest 928

Perfectly fine, unless you have nylon strings. They are as sensitive as my nephew and very aware of climate change. But once tuned are so mellow.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:48 PM

I do it fairly regularly. I put my RainSong in the trunk in the morning and take it out in the afternoon at practice.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-09-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
They are as sensitive as my nephew and very aware of climate change. But once tuned are so mellow.
Wait...Wha??.. I'm tuned in if that helps.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-09-2019, 07:05 PM

I don't think you'll have any issues. But just a thought I have, I'd try to limit super extreme and sudden temperature shifts. Electronics can and will fail e v e n t u a l l y. I imagine that lots of instant 70 degree temperature shifts could decrease a pickup's expected lifespan.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:40 PM

I had a Rainsong shipped from Maryland to California last summer, and it arrived in tune!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber