The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-20-2019, 03:34 PM

Default Waterloo wl-s deluxe pickguard ya/nay

Im a flatpicker really like norman blake fiddle tunes etc. and I really like the waterloos i have two. A 14 fretx braced. and this week i got a 12 fret ladder deluxe used. It already has some wear throught the varnish. And the way i pick it will look like trigger if I dont do something. I know these were supposed to be stella style fingerstyle blues guitars. Collings sells a 12 fret pickguard for $150.00 should i go that way and stay with the brand or have one made. And doing either is it gonna devalue this thing much. Thanks
Old 01-20-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

I have a Waterloo WL-S Deluxe also. I noticed early on the vanish was going so, like you, I started looking for a pick guard. I didn't find one that I could get into so I ended up buying a WL-S and putting a pick guard on it. I was leaning towards a pick guard like what is installed on Fraulini guitars. It was looking like I'd have to make it myself though and I didn't believe I could get the quality I'd want. So for now it's naked. If I could find a quality Fraulini pick guard or somebody that could make a custom I'd do it.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-28-2019, 09:35 AM

The clear pickguard option has worked for me a few times. Went with the clear on my 0018vs and my PJ. Loved the way those guitars looked when I got them and decided to try smaller clear guards on them. Figured I could have them removed and replaced with something else if I changed my mind. Been at least a few years and haven't changed my mind for either.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 01-28-2019, 09:49 AM

you might check out the selection that Luthiers Mercantile has. they have very nice pickguards in a variety of sizes and styles, as well as material.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair