The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-16-2019, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Just played 2 Emerald X7s!

Thanks to the generosity of Barb (Barb1), who answered my post about me wanting to play an X7, I got to play a nylon string and steel string. These are the pre-2018 guitars v. 2. I was struck by how well made they are and how nice they sounded. Surprisingly, the nylon string was louder than the steel string. Lovely guitars. Thanks Barb!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 11-16-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Thanks to the generosity of Barb (Barb1), who answered my post about me wanting to play an X7, I got to play a nylon string and steel string. These are the pre-2018 guitars v. 2. I was struck by how well made they are and how nice they sounded. Surprisingly, the nylon string was louder than the steel string. Lovely guitars. Thanks Barb!
Excellent!

Love to see how the folks in this 'community' gather round to help out. I've had the opportunity to do something similar a couple of times now, and it's a lot of fun. We all like to show off things that we're proud of - and see interesting stuff in return. I've had a chance to play CA and Rainsong models I wouldn't otherwise have expected to encounter, and see a Journey OF660 up close and personal.

So, are you tempted to take the plunge?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-16-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, Karen & Barb for kudos for Emerald Guitars--They Rock!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-16-2019, 06:21 PM

If you have a chance to play an Emerald- DO IT.

There are people suffering in the world!!
Old 11-16-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

David, not going to take the plunge just yet. It felt a little small for me. However I am intrigued and hope to play the larger v.3 X7, and would also like to play an X10. It took me a little bit to get used to the tilt of the guitar. At first I felt like it was going to slide off my lap. When I got used to it, it felt extra comfortable.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 11-16-2019, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

X7 versions 1.0 and 2.0 are night and day. I've owned both and version 1.0 while fun, perfect for travel and surprisingly great sounding for the size, pales in comparison to version 2.0 in every way except of course for size. 2.0 is closer to a (very) short scale 00 guitar. Very comfortable body with all the contours and the deep cutaway is excellent while not sacrificing anything tone wise. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you finally get to play one!
Old 11-16-2019, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Excellent!

Love to see how the folks in this 'community' gather round to help out. I've had the opportunity to do something similar a couple of times now, and it's a lot of fun. We all like to show off things that we're proud of - and see interesting stuff in return. I've had a chance to play CA and Rainsong models I wouldn't otherwise have expected to encounter, and see a Journey OF660 up close and personal.

So, are you tempted to take the plunge?
If you live around the Twin Cities metro area, and have an X20, I would love to give that a try. If so, we can take this to PM and you can decide if there is anything of mine you would like to try. Unfortunately, I can't remember who in this forum had offered to do that back when I was busy with a contract job.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-16-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
If you live around the Twin Cities metro area, and have an X20, I would love to give that a try. If so, we can take this to PM and you can decide if there is anything of mine you would like to try. Unfortunately, I can't remember who in this forum had offered to do that back when I was busy with a contract job.

Tony
He has 2 X20s already, a six and a seven string. There is enough Emerald love to go around to send Steely one...that's for sure!
Old 11-16-2019, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
David, not going to take the plunge just yet. It felt a little small for me. However I am intrigued and hope to play the larger v.3 X7, and would also like to play an X10. It took me a little bit to get used to the tilt of the guitar. At first I felt like it was going to slide off my lap. When I got used to it, it felt extra comfortable.
You really should play the newer 2018 and newer X7. The neck is basically the same, but the body is larger and the sound, particularly to the player, is considerably larger and louder, because of both the larger body and the off-set soundhole. I had both and liked the older X7 a lot, but like the newer one a LOT more on a number of levels.

But it's good you got to play the older one, so when / if you get a chance to lay the larger one, you'll have something to compare it to. You should probably play an X20 too if you can - the new X7 sort os splits a lot of differences between the X20 and older X7...

-Ray
Old 11-16-2019, 06:59 PM
Guest 928

You state my problem with the 7--just a bit smaller than I like. the 20 was just a bigger than I like. The 10 is golden. I have the 10 nylon acoustic with slot tuners and have ordered a thin-bodied nylon string electric. I'm a believer.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
closer to a (very) short scale 00 guitar. Very comfortable body
Previously owned the pre 2018 x7, currently own the 2019 x7.
Definitely night and day. The new x7 is larger, louder, and more comfortable to me.
The deeper wider body seems to balance better with the neck and the fret access @ heel is easier.
Should have been named X8 imo...

Old 11-16-2019, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post

Tony
We did exchange some messages a while ago, Tony, but discussions got a little diffuse due to real life stuff. I have an X20, and an X20-7 which I'd love to let you have a crack at. PM me, and let's try to set something up.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-16-2019, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
We did exchange some messages a while ago, Tony, but discussions got a little diffuse due to real life stuff. I have an X20, and an X20-7 which I'd love to let you have a crack at. PM me, and let's try to set something up.
PM sent.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-16-2019, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
He has 2 X20s already, a six and a seven string. There is enough Emerald love to go around to send Steely one...that's for sure!
I had a 7 string nylon string Godin for a while, but just never took to it. I am sure that if I spent the time (i.e. was sufficiently motivated), I could have done something with it. The same thing happened for me with 12 string guitars. Over the years, I have owned 2, the last being a high end Adamas that I got at a blowout sale. I finally realized that I am just not interested enough for those either. It would be fun to see what Emerald is doing though.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-16-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

My understanding...

X7 v1 - center soundhole
X7 v2 - offset soundhole facing forward, great curves and bevels
X7 v3 - (mid 2018) upturned soundhole, larger body, same scale (24", 1 3/4" nut width)

I have the v2 X7 - the same model that KarenB played, thanks to Barb. It was this guitar that changed the way I have looked at every guitar since that discovery: sound, playability, looks, and comfort all matter.

The latest version (v3) is what is currently being made. One of these days I'm going to have to try one. I did order an X10 (Level 2) shortly after they were announced. When I asked Alistair about the difference between the X10 and the X7, I was told: if you are looking for great variety plugged in, get the X10; if you are looking for acoustic tone, get the X7. They are close in body size, but different in neck scale, thickness, and nut width.

The X10 would be the acoustic I would recommend for an electric guitar player. The X7 for the player looking for a great small acoustic guitar. My previous version X7 holds up great to enthusiastic strumming (much better than any small guitar I've played to date). The X10 has beautiful acoustic balance... I thought it would be that "Goldilocks" size between the X7 and the X20. It feels that way compared to the v2 X7... not sure I would be able to say that vs the v3.

Just some insights for the OP to mull over.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber