The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-02-2015, 07:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Now that is a completely different color than the one previously posted By GaltierR. (sp?)
Not really...
Just a completely incompetent photographer!!!
My sets were also taken from part of the tree that had more even color.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:52 PM

Sorry for my ignorance. I did take into account different photographic variables, but the first is definitely a grey blue while your pic is definitely in the tan/brown hues. Based on what I read and you wrote, once cut the wood changed color almost right away to that bluish grey. '

I guess I am trying to figure out which pic is more representative of the color as they seemed more different to me than I could account for with the variability in photos....or they are really two different colors.

Thanks for the info, just my curiosity at play.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Sorry for my ignorance. I did take into account different photographic variables, but the first is definitely a grey blue while your pic is definitely in the tan/brown hues. Based on what I read and you wrote, once cut the wood changed color almost right away to that bluish grey. '

I guess I am trying to figure out which pic is more representative of the color as they seemed more different to me than I could account for with the variability in photos....or they are really two different colors.

Thanks for the info, just my curiosity at play.
Hey Tom,
The colors are in the same tonal range. I simply have no photographic skills, whatsoever.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Well,
Apparently the second dread-sized set has sold.
There's still an 00-size set left, though, and it would make a beautiful guitar.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
Well,
Apparently the second dread-sized set has sold.
There's still an 00-size set left, though, and it would make a beautiful guitar.
Hey, Joel- I've got a few surprises for you when you come up here in a few days.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Hey, Joel- I've got a few surprises for you when you come up here in a few days.
You have no idea how excited I am to be making this trip. I'll be leaving Fairhope Friday morning after I take Zane to school, and we are scheduled to be fishing Saturday morning. I'll be available any/all Mon-Wed to visit your shop.

Surprises...?...I look forward to seeing them.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaultierRedon14 View Post
Thanks, I emailed Brent with a few questions, talked to my luthier, and decided to buy one of the Dreadnought sets. Assuming my luthier approves of it once he has it in his hands, we'll probably use it for an upcoming build. IF we do, it'll be here on the forum. I'm cautiously excited that we'll decide it is good enough (good tap tone, stable, etc.) and go for it! Aesthetically, it should fit beautifully into some ideas I have, and I, too, am quite captivated by the story of this wood.
This is a really small world. Your luthier turns out to be my good friend...whom I'm visiting this week. I saw your top and held it in my hands, and it is pretty spectacular. I'll take one of mine over to the shop tomorrow and photograph them side by side. This build will now be even more special to follow.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Everything about this is cool. I can't wait to hear a sound clip from a completed guitar using this wood!

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 10-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Woodknot,

I saw this coming, based on the earlier posts on this thread! A small world, indeed! I am really looking forward to seeing those pictures. Enjoy your visit!

Instruments:
2022 Dake Traphagen 12F Slope Dread--Torrefied Carpathian Spruce/Snakewood
2016 Darren Hippner "Torres" classical model--German Spruce/Pernambuco

Commissioned:
mid-2024 Michel Aboudib MA-J Fanfret--Western Red Cedar/Bois de Rose
late-2024 Michel Aboudib--TBD
Old 10-12-2015, 08:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Can you imagine what this ancient glacial Sitka would look like with Snakewood back and sides, and Lignum Vitae bindings and trim?
Haha. Not kidding! I don't have to imagine it; I've seen it! And it's a BEAUTIFUL play of color and figure! More soon on that...
Old 10-12-2015, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

You're killing me, Steve! This is going to be a gloriously agonizing choice between the Snakewood and Bois de Rose!

Instruments:

Commissioned:
Old 10-12-2015, 09:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Indeed. I like the way you've managed to manifest such an array of legendary woods to select from. It's almost like, "Do I want legend guitar A or legend guitar B? Can't have everything in just one guitar! But that one guitar will be a genuine article to be sure.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:00 PM

Sorry to be a budinski....but why not just build two....I think that is the perfect solution just sayin...
Old 10-12-2015, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Well, I can only afford so much at one time, but eventually, I plan to build something with both sets. Right now, I'm trying to decide between using my Snakewood back/sides set and my Bois de Rose back/sides set, to go with this amazing Ancient Glacier Sitka spruce soundboard. I will only ever have this one set of Ancient Sitka, so it's a once in a lifetime choice! The Snakewood and Bois de Rose tonewood sets are both tonally and visually spectacular, "rare-as-unicorns" specimens and worthy of being paired with the Ancient Sitka.
Either way, with Steve's expert craftmanship, I'm sure it'll be quite an instrument!

Instruments:

Commissioned:

Last edited by GaultierRedon14; 10-12-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaultierRedon14 View Post
Well, I can only afford so much at one time, but eventually, I plan to build something with both sets. Right now, I'm trying to decide between using my Snakewood back/sides set and my Bois de Rose back/sides set, to go with this amazing Ancient Glacier Sitka spruce soundboard. I will only ever have this one set of Ancient Sitka, so it's a once in a lifetime choice! The Snakewood and Bois de Rose tonewood sets are both tonally and visually spectacular, "rare-as-unicorns" specimens and worthy of being paired with the Ancient Sitka.
Here's a solution, post up photos of the spruce with the different options of B&S, and put it up for a vote!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop